How do I exclude one user from the group policy regarding ..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 3, 2005 7:10:22 AM

We have a Windows 2000 based network where a group policy is in place
to prevent users exceeding their roaming profile size limit of 30MB. We
have a couple of users in the multimedia department whose profiles grow
exponentially whenever they are working with large graphics files
(which is every day), and the profile size restriction is handicapping
their everyday work. I need to find a way of excluding these 2 users
from this domain policy, so they can perform their job functions
properly. Where is this restriction configured, and how do I exclude
individuals (or groups from it)?

Many thanks,

QH
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 12:48:57 PM

You can set an ACL on a Group Policy object just like any other file, folder
or Active Directory object. In order for a GPO to apply to a user, they
need to have "Read" and "Apply Group Policy" permissions to the GPO. By
default, these permissions are assigned to the Authenticated Users group.
You can prevent a GPO from applying to a small subset of users by -denying-
those two permissions. In your case I'd create a security group called
"Multimedia" or something, and then specifically deny the Read & Apply Group
Policy permissions on the GPO. Try this link for instructions and more
information.

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6400/rh6420.htm

--
Laura E. Hunter
Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
(http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)

All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
Replies to newsgroup only.

!