Video Jerky on NWN Platinum

Last response: in Video Games
December 5, 2004 7:25:07 PM

I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP
Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to this
on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?

BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.

Many thanks!
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 7:56:28 PM

"Marianne Simmons" <marisim@yhti.net> wrote in message
> I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win
> XP Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB.
> Since then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific
> to this on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
>
> BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
>
> Many thanks!

Have you upgraded to the latest drivers for the Radeon? A lady I know had
one and had similar problems until she updated the drivers.

Also how much memory do you have in your system. XP is more demanding than
ME.

December 5, 2004 9:42:51 PM

"Peridot" <Peridot@nosuch.com> wrote in message

> "Marianne Simmons" <marisim@yhti.net> wrote in message
>> I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win
>> XP Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB.
>> Since then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific
>> to this on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
>>
>> BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>

> Have you upgraded to the latest drivers for the Radeon? A lady I know had
> one and had similar problems until she updated the drivers.
>
> Also how much memory do you have in your system. XP is more demanding than
> ME.

>Bingo! That was it! I installed the latest driver for the card and it's
>working great! Many Thanks!
December 6, 2004 9:30:53 PM

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:25:07 -0600, "Marianne Simmons"
<marisim@yhti.net> wrote:

>I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP
>Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
>then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to this
>on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
>
>BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
>
>Many thanks!

I would worry about how much RAM in the machine. XP uses a lot
more for itself than ME.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 10:41:58 PM

Well, I have the same graphics card and Win XP and it runs fine and the
graphics are great. What's your RAM and CPU capabilities? I have a
relatively small (nowadays) processor 1.6GHz but over 1MB of RAM.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Marianne Simmons" <marisim@yhti.net> wrote in message
> I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win
XP
> Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
> then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to
this
> on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
>
> BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
>
> Many thanks!

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 9:12:02 AM

> I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP Home Ed

IMO, moving to XP isn't really an upgrade :-)

OK, it probably is more stable than ME, though I've had no problems
with ME.

OTOH, I'm finding XP Pro (which was forced upon me at work) to
occassionally be RAM-starved with 256mb, so I would suggest a minimum
of 512mb RAM for XP, with more (~768 - 1GB) preferred.

In the meantime, you can reduce your machines overhead by reducing the
visual frills and bloat that are the XP defaults. You may want to do a
Google search for instructions.
December 7, 2004 6:43:05 PM

Loren Pechtel wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:25:07 -0600, "Marianne Simmons"
> <marisim@yhti.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP
>>Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
>>then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to this
>>on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
>>
>>BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
>>
>>Many thanks!
>

> I would worry about how much RAM in the machine. XP uses a lot
> more for itself than ME.
min req. for nwn in winXP is 256mb ram. recommended is 512mb ram.
i run xp media on 256 mb ram with radeon 9600. all the grahpics bells
and whistles are turned of for the OS. try turning of some of your nwn
graphics options as well. when the video is jerky is it only online or
in the built in campaign too?
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 3:00:17 AM

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:30:53 -0800, Loren Pechtel
<lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:25:07 -0600, "Marianne Simmons"
><marisim@yhti.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP
>>Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
>>then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to this
>>on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
>>
>>BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
>>
>>Many thanks!
>
> I would worry about how much RAM in the machine. XP uses a lot
>more for itself than ME.

I can't help thinking that video jerky is something like beef jerky. Maybe
you cook it on the video card?

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"