Video Jerky on NWN Platinum

I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP
Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to this
on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?

BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.

Many thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about video jerky platinum

    "Marianne Simmons" <marisim@yhti.net> wrote in message
    > I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win
    > XP Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB.
    > Since then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific
    > to this on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
    >
    > BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
    >
    > Many thanks!

    Have you upgraded to the latest drivers for the Radeon? A lady I know had
    one and had similar problems until she updated the drivers.

    Also how much memory do you have in your system. XP is more demanding than
    ME.

    "Peridot" <Peridot@nosuch.com> wrote in message

    > "Marianne Simmons" <marisim@yhti.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win
    >> XP Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB.
    >> Since then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific
    >> to this on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
    >>
    >> Many thanks!
    >>

    > Have you upgraded to the latest drivers for the Radeon? A lady I know had
    > one and had similar problems until she updated the drivers.
    >
    > Also how much memory do you have in your system. XP is more demanding than
    > ME.

    >Bingo! That was it! I installed the latest driver for the card and it's
    >working great! Many Thanks!

    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:25:07 -0600, "Marianne Simmons"
    <marisim@yhti.net> wrote:

    >I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP
    >Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
    >then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to this
    >on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
    >
    >BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
    >
    >Many thanks!

    I would worry about how much RAM in the machine. XP uses a lot
    more for itself than ME.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Well, I have the same graphics card and Win XP and it runs fine and the
    graphics are great. What's your RAM and CPU capabilities? I have a
    relatively small (nowadays) processor 1.6GHz but over 1MB of RAM.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Marianne Simmons" <marisim@yhti.net> wrote in message
    > I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win
    XP
    > Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
    > then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to
    this
    > on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
    >
    > BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
    >
    > Many thanks!

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP Home Ed

    IMO, moving to XP isn't really an upgrade :-)

    OK, it probably is more stable than ME, though I've had no problems
    with ME.

    OTOH, I'm finding XP Pro (which was forced upon me at work) to
    occassionally be RAM-starved with 256mb, so I would suggest a minimum
    of 512mb RAM for XP, with more (~768 - 1GB) preferred.

    In the meantime, you can reduce your machines overhead by reducing the
    visual frills and bloat that are the XP defaults. You may want to do a
    Google search for instructions.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Loren Pechtel wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:25:07 -0600, "Marianne Simmons"
    > <marisim@yhti.net> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP
    >>Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
    >>then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to this
    >>on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
    >>
    >>BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
    >>
    >>Many thanks!
    >

    > I would worry about how much RAM in the machine. XP uses a lot
    > more for itself than ME.
    min req. for nwn in winXP is 256mb ram. recommended is 512mb ram.
    i run xp media on 256 mb ram with radeon 9600. all the grahpics bells
    and whistles are turned of for the OS. try turning of some of your nwn
    graphics options as well. when the video is jerky is it only online or
    in the built in campaign too?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:30:53 -0800, Loren Pechtel
    <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:25:07 -0600, "Marianne Simmons"
    ><marisim@yhti.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm new to the group. I have NWN Platinum and have just upgraded to Win XP
    >>Home Ed. and have upgraded my graphics card to Radeon 9200SE 128MB. Since
    >>then, my game is slow and jerky. I couldn't find anything specific to this
    >>on the Bioware support site. Any ideas?
    >>
    >>BTW, the game ran great on Win ME and my old 32MB Radeon card.
    >>
    >>Many thanks!
    >
    > I would worry about how much RAM in the machine. XP uses a lot
    >more for itself than ME.

    I can't help thinking that video jerky is something like beef jerky. Maybe
    you cook it on the video card?

    --
    Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
    hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

Platinum Games Video Games