Search doesn't work

Ok, I've been a computer pro for 20+ years. I taught myself 8086 asm. I know
7+ languages. Why can't I figure out how to make the Search in Windows XP
work? Please help.

</joel>
3 answers Last reply
More about search doesn work

    Try this article: http://xpsearch.info/xps1.htm

    "Microsoft" <joelycat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, I've been a computer pro for 20+ years. I taught myself 8086 asm. I
    > know 7+ languages. Why can't I figure out how to make the Search in
    > Windows XP work? Please help.
    >
    > </joel>

    Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
    Click on the ? Icon to Expand

    [?] Why doesn't Search work?

    And/or here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
    Scroll down to:
    Search - Doesn't Work

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:e04wnriFFHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Microsoft <joelycat@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Ok, I've been a computer pro for 20+ years. I taught myself 8086 asm.
    > I know 7+ languages. Why can't I figure out how to make the Search in
    > Windows XP work? Please help.
    >
    > </joel>

    "Microsoft" <joelycat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, I've been a computer pro for 20+ years. I taught myself 8086 asm.
    > I know 7+ languages. Why can't I figure out how to make the Search in
    > Windows XP work? Please help.

    I gave up on the Search utility included in Windows XP. It only works
    if there is a file handler that understands the filetype although I may
    have no interest in looking *in* the file to search on substrings within
    it but rather only search on file *names*. This was stupidity they
    added in Windows XP. I want to find all files, not just the ones that
    the Search utility happens to have a viewer to show the contents of a
    file. I could be in a command shell and do a dir command to show a file
    that Windows XP's search couldn't find even if I started the search on
    that very folder. The Search in Windows 2000 worked fine. Supposedly
    you could enable the file indexing service to augment or supplant the
    Search utility but then you have to know SQL-like commands to do the
    search in the indexing database. No thanks.

    Instead I use Agent Ransack (yeah, not a great name; their paid version
    is called FileLocator). It finds everything, plus you can select to do
    the typical DOS wildcarded searching or you can switch to using regular
    expressions for even greater control in how to search. The pro version
    (FileLocator) adds a viewer to show you the contents of a selected file
    but I didn't need that. Agent Ransack is free.

Microsoft Windows XP