Controlling roaming profile based upon which workstation i..

kev

When I was at TechEd a couple of years back they had survey workstations
outside the lecture rooms. Attendees used the same account credentials as
they did in the comms network but they were presented with a different
profile where only the survey application was offered. I spoke with one of
the MS guys about this after the event and he confirmed that this profile
switching was managed using a GPO. However, I just cannot remember quite
how he said it was done and my research has not shown any obvious way to do
this.

In simple terms, my own requirement is for people to get their normal
(mandatory) roaming profile on any machine except for a small number where
they would be given a different 'cybercafe' profile (with only IE being
available). Please could someone enlighten me ?

Thanks

Hi,

The only way I know to do this would be with the Group Policy Loopback Mode
set to "replace" on the computers that needed the special profile.

Cheers,

Lara

"Kev" wrote:

> When I was at TechEd a couple of years back they had survey workstations
> outside the lecture rooms. Attendees used the same account credentials as
> they did in the comms network but they were presented with a different
> profile where only the survey application was offered. I spoke with one of
> the MS guys about this after the event and he confirmed that this profile
> switching was managed using a GPO. However, I just cannot remember quite
> how he said it was done and my research has not shown any obvious way to do
> this.
>
> In simple terms, my own requirement is for people to get their normal
> (mandatory) roaming profile on any machine except for a small number where
> they would be given a different 'cybercafe' profile (with only IE being
> available). Please could someone enlighten me ?
>
> Thanks

kev

"Kev" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> When I was at TechEd a couple of years back they had survey workstations
> outside the lecture rooms. Attendees used the same account credentials as
> they did in the comms network but they were presented with a different
> profile where only the survey application was offered. I spoke with one
> of the MS guys about this after the event and he confirmed that this
> profile switching was managed using a GPO. However, I just cannot
> remember quite how he said it was done and my research has not shown any
> obvious way to do this.
>
> In simple terms, my own requirement is for people to get their normal
> (mandatory) roaming profile on any machine except for a small number where
> they would be given a different 'cybercafe' profile (with only IE being
> available). Please could someone enlighten me ?
>
> Thanks

Remembered what the missing link is - loopback. Thanks anyway