Recommed a 34" HDTV 16:9 please?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 9, 2004 7:36:03 PM

I'm looking for clues from the experienced people here on what sets to
seek out for consideration.

Yes, I have gone to see what's there, but I don't trust the stores to
have the one YOU would suggest on display.

What I care about the most is a set capable of very saturated colors,
deep blacks, and a lot of subtlety in the color / brightness gradation
range.

I don't care about all the other bells and whistles like PIP, speaker
wattage, or what have you.

My sources are going to be Satellite TV (currently not HDTV, but that
may change in a year or two) and DVDs.

I saw a Panasonic Tau PureFlat next to some 4:3 TVs and it the colors
looked weak and the contrast low in comparison - but I don't know if
comparing the picture of a 16:9 vs a 4:3 is fair. Is it?

But my main question is what brands and/or models I should look at, that
you have seen and been wowed by.

More about : recommed hdtv

Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:36:04 PM

Alfredo wrote:
> I'm looking for clues from the experienced people here on what sets to
> seek out for consideration.
>
> Yes, I have gone to see what's there, but I don't trust the stores to
> have the one YOU would suggest on display.
>
> What I care about the most is a set capable of very saturated colors,
> deep blacks, and a lot of subtlety in the color / brightness gradation
> range.
>
> I don't care about all the other bells and whistles like PIP, speaker
> wattage, or what have you.
>
> My sources are going to be Satellite TV (currently not HDTV, but that
> may change in a year or two) and DVDs.
>
> I saw a Panasonic Tau PureFlat next to some 4:3 TVs and it the colors
> looked weak and the contrast low in comparison - but I don't know if
> comparing the picture of a 16:9 vs a 4:3 is fair. Is it?
>
> But my main question is what brands and/or models I should look at, that
> you have seen and been wowed by.

I have the Sony 34HS510. It's a 34" widescreen tube HDTV. I have
been extremely happy with it. The colors, brightness, contrast are
all excellent once you calibrate it properly with an Avia disc or similar.

The Sony is worth the extra in price compared to other manufacturers.
The attention to detail is great. The 8 video source inputs is also
a bonus. The filter is superb, as watching SD material is just brilliant.

Buying the Sony 34" is the best decision I've made recently. I have
never regretted it, and I highly recommend it.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 9:02:18 PM

Alfredo wrote:

> I'm looking for clues from the experienced people here on what sets to
> seek out for consideration.
>
> Yes, I have gone to see what's there, but I don't trust the stores to
> have the one YOU would suggest on display.
>
> What I care about the most is a set capable of very saturated colors,
> deep blacks, and a lot of subtlety in the color / brightness gradation
> range.
>
> I don't care about all the other bells and whistles like PIP, speaker
> wattage, or what have you.
>
> My sources are going to be Satellite TV (currently not HDTV, but that
> may change in a year or two) and DVDs.
>
> I saw a Panasonic Tau PureFlat next to some 4:3 TVs and it the colors
> looked weak and the contrast low in comparison - but I don't know if
> comparing the picture of a 16:9 vs a 4:3 is fair. Is it?
>
> But my main question is what brands and/or models I should look at, that
> you have seen and been wowed by.

Alfredo:

I 2nd the comments on the Sony KV-34HS510..... Superb 16:9 TV & HDTV
set...

It does not have a HDTV tuner.... you'll need a Cable box or Set Top
box...

Has 8 Inputs (3 for HD), superb blacks & Color after using AVIA DVD
Calibration Disk....

Has Good sound.... Good line doubler, Good Zoom options.... 208
Lb weight....

Cost should be about $1700 now .. The Sony 34XBR910 is one notch
above

16:9 34HS510.... 34XBR910 may be replaced by the 2005
34XBR960...... shortly.
June 9, 2004 10:02:41 PM

The Sony 910 is quite impressive, but much more expensive. Otherwise, the
Toshiba, Panasonic and Sony 510 are all pretty similar. Since the Toshiba
is the least expensive and (arguably) has the best stretch modes, I'd
recommend you go with one of those and spend the difference on a
professional calibration.

"Alfredo" <alfredo@KILL_SPAM_megapath.net> wrote in message

> I'm looking for clues from the experienced people here on what sets to
> seek out for consideration.

Anonymous
June 14, 2004 7:58:45 PM

Hi there. What makes the Toshiba's stretch modes, arguably, better
than the Sony's? I was thinking about picking up a Sony 34HS510
before they are replaced by the 550 in July...you know, good savings.
But should i get the Toshiba instead? I will watch a lot of NTSC
television on this TV, and i wish to use either a zoom or stretch
mode. Which TV does that all best? Thanks.
- Paul
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:20:00 PM

ComedyBoyDC wrote:

> Hi there. What makes the Toshiba's stretch modes, arguably, better
> than the Sony's? I was thinking about picking up a Sony 34HS510
> before they are replaced by the 550 in July...you know, good savings.
> But should i get the Toshiba instead? I will watch a lot of NTSC
> television on this TV, and i wish to use either a zoom or stretch
> mode. Which TV does that all best? Thanks.
> - Paul

Com person:

As mentioned I have had the the Sony 34" 34HS510...... for 8
months....

Regular analog TV on this HD set..... uses a superb Sony line
doubler....

and 1 stretch mode & 2 zoom modes plus normal 'pillar box' 4:3....

If the program source for Analog is good... Sony makes the picture
'better'.

Sound system is very good... with two 15 watt speakers and nice
color...

I believe Sony Tube sets at the upper end are Top of the Line...

Nuff said from GBay, WI
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 2:00:03 AM

If you want the best, look at Loewe. It blows away the others. I will
cost more.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 12:51:15 PM

>If you want the best, look at Loewe. It blows away the others. I will
>cost more.

I disagree. The Loewe Aconda tubes that are avaliable here in the U.S. have
superb color, but a very soft picture. The Sony's have a sharper picture and
the 910XBR, Sony's compareablly priced set to the 34" Loewe has better contrast
IMO. I've found that the Pansonic, JVC and Toshiba Cinema Series tubes are very
similar in performance to the Sonys. But the JVC and Panasonic can come off far
to warm if care isn't taken with the color adjustment and the Toshiba is a bit
green/yellow by comparison. Beyond that, I noticed a severe "grain" problem on
the JVC demo unit at a local store and at least one poster to this board has
had the same issue with the one he purchased. I'd expect something to be done
about it, as I've owned 3 JVC sets in the past and never had a problem, but I
don't know that anything is actually being done. The 910XBR was called the best
HD-tube avaliable to consumers (by Home Theater Magazine I believe) and I'm
inclined to agree. It has the typical white/blue push found on most Sony sets
but this can be countered with judicious adjustment of the color and it tends
to be more pleasing to most people than the red or yellow/green pushes the
other sets exhibit.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 6:00:58 PM

>The 910XBR was called the best
> HD-tube avaliable to consumers (by Home Theater Magazine I believe) and I'm
> inclined to agree. It has the typical white/blue push found on most Sony sets
> but this can be countered with judicious adjustment of the color and it tends
> to be more pleasing to most people than the red or yellow/green pushes the
> other sets exhibit.

Ok, if the Sony 34XBR910 has a pleasing white-blue push that's easy to
neutralize, what colors does the Sony 34HS510 push? Someone mentioned
a slightly red push? Would you agree? Regardless of the color push,
will it be easy to neutralize the color-push on the HS510?
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:54:29 AM

>Ok, if the Sony 34XBR910 has a pleasing white-blue push that's easy to
>neutralize, what colors does the Sony 34HS510 push? Someone mentioned
>a slightly red push?

Son'y have a primary blue/white push, but it's the most prevalent when the tube
is set to "cool". Sony's also have very sensitive color adjustment and having
the tube set on "warm" can make the set look overly saturated and far to red. I
prefer to set the tube to "neutral" and then use color bars intermixed with
test-material to set everything properly.

>Regardless of the color push,
>will it be easy to neutralize the color-push on the HS510?

It's easy enough. You should hook up a progressive capable DVD player via
component and find some well-mastered films to use as test material. Finding a
disc with a THX optimizer will be very, very helpful. The only thing better
would be to pay for ISF calibration.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 7:11:14 AM

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:02:18 -0500, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
wrote:

>Alfredo wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for clues from the experienced people here on what sets to
>> seek out for consideration.
>>
>> Yes, I have gone to see what's there, but I don't trust the stores to
>> have the one YOU would suggest on display.
>>
>> What I care about the most is a set capable of very saturated colors,
>> deep blacks, and a lot of subtlety in the color / brightness gradation
>> range.
>>
>> I don't care about all the other bells and whistles like PIP, speaker
>> wattage, or what have you.
>>
>> My sources are going to be Satellite TV (currently not HDTV, but that
>> may change in a year or two) and DVDs.
>>
>> I saw a Panasonic Tau PureFlat next to some 4:3 TVs and it the colors
>> looked weak and the contrast low in comparison - but I don't know if
>> comparing the picture of a 16:9 vs a 4:3 is fair. Is it?
>>
>> But my main question is what brands and/or models I should look at, that
>> you have seen and been wowed by.
>

> Alfredo:
>
> I 2nd the comments on the Sony KV-34HS510..... Superb 16:9 TV & HDTV
>set...
>
> It does not have a HDTV tuner.... you'll need a Cable box or Set Top
>box...
>
> Has 8 Inputs (3 for HD), superb blacks & Color after using AVIA DVD
>Calibration Disk....
>
> Has Good sound.... Good line doubler, Good Zoom options.... 208
>Lb weight....
>
> Cost should be about $1700 now .. The Sony 34XBR910 is one notch
>above
>
> 16:9 34HS510.... 34XBR910 may be replaced by the 2005
>34XBR960...... shortly.

Correct on the brand new KD-34XBR960 set. Its coming out this July.
I ordered one a few days ago from Sony at $2199 + tax with free
shipping. It may be the first or second week of July for Sony to
deliver and do the set-up. I'm sure its well worth the wait.

If you interested Sony has a $400 cash back rebate going for the next
few months. Includes a few free DVD movies. You do have to buy a
HDTV listed and a Select Home Theater. It has to be listed on the
rabate info on their site. One was listed, the HT-V2000DP for
$399.95. Like for free if I get the cash back from Sony.

It comes with a progressive scan DVD player/ VCR combo, 5 speakers,
also a powered sub-woofer. Includes a am-fm tuner with a 510 watt amp.
Coaxial digital and optical digital inputs.

Rats, its on backorder but I can wait. They also offer about 5 other
Home Theaters up to $700 listed for the rebate if you got the money.
hdtvfan
!