SB Audigy 4 or XFi XtremeGamer

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
I'm at a crossroads. I have a nice set of Logitech X530 5.1 speakers but a busted onboard sound card that I'm dieing to upgrade. I'm stuck now trying to decide what I'll actually need in a sound card. For the most part I use my rig for watching movies and playing games (mostly Oblivion). I don't need or really want a mic jack/line-in jack.

I'm trying to keep the price under $75 but want the most out of it. Soo... would you all recommend the SB Audigy4 or the XFi XtremeGamer. The more I look at it, the more I'm leaning towards the XFi because its geared towards both movies and games.

Or, if you'd recommend a completely different sound card all together (for under 75ish) I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.

HeavyF

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I would look at the X-fi Xtreme-music or Extreme gamer-whichever is cheaper.

There is no reason to spend money on a breakout box or Xram ( included with the more expensive x-fi's "at no cost" :? ).

Whatever you get don't be one of the babies who has buyers remorse and posts it all over THG

lord_kit

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
I have the X-fi Xtreme-music or Extreme gamer
Works a treat. You can notice what a big diffrence it makes from on board sound.

I play a lot of 2142 and u can actually hear the enemy behind you - LOL

hope that helps !!

lord_kit - thats my 2142 soilder name - LOL

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I got the Xfi gamer and it performs wonderfully for both music and games... I can't even stand listening to songs on a cd or mp3 player because of how crappy and flat they sound... yes I've used the same speakers on both to actually give a fair comparison.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Is there a comparison? I have a choice between these two and I want to get the best card for a budget about $65. Does it matter if one card is a full size card and the other is a half size card? Will there be any difference in performance? I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering the XtremeGamer but I just want to make sure: Audigy 4 or Xtreme Gamer? (which one performs better in terms of sound quality/game performance?)