Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Very basic questions- pagefile and delete My Documents

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:13:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Like to know how to control the size of pagefile and what a decent
setting would be. Mine is over a gig on a 9 gig partition. I have almost
767meg memory.

I try to delete My Documents from windows explorer (under the desktop).
i moved it to my E: drive but every time I delete the shortcuts, they
return. I got rid of it on my desktop using tweakui, but can I get rid
of it for good in explorer?

And when it is safe, if ever, to delete all the $xxx update files from
windows?

Second day with xp, so bear with me. (First day was a bear. Three
installs before I got it where I wanted it. Last was a clean install to
a formatted partition. The best info I got was from western digital's
website on how to do it.)

Any pointer to a good website for newbees would be appreciated.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:39:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi Gordon,

> Like to know how to control the size of pagefile and what a decent setting
> would be. Mine is over a gig on a 9 gig partition. I have almost 767meg
> memory.

Unless you need a full memory dump on boot failure for debugging, you can
reduce the initial size to ~100MB. Go to the Control Panel/System/Advanced
tab, click on performance settings. On the advanced tab, click change. You
can change the settings on the second tab so that the initial size is 100MB,
but do not set a maximum. Click set, then use apply/ok to get back out and
reboot.

If you find that your pagefile regularly grows larger than the initial size,
you might consider increasing the startup size. Read more on XP's VM here:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

> I try to delete My Documents from windows explorer (under the desktop). i
> moved it to my E: drive but every time I delete the shortcuts, they
> return. I got rid of it on my desktop using tweakui, but can I get rid of
> it for good in explorer?

No, you can move it as you have discovered, but you can never delete this
system folder or it's mirrors.

> And when it is safe, if ever, to delete all the $xxx update files from
> windows?

Whenever you are satisfied that you will never need to uninstall that
particular update.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
news:HYydnQu87YsiM4vfRVn-uA@suscom-maine.net...
> Like to know how to control the size of pagefile and what a decent setting
> would be. Mine is over a gig on a 9 gig partition. I have almost 767meg
> memory.
>
> I try to delete My Documents from windows explorer (under the desktop). i
> moved it to my E: drive but every time I delete the shortcuts, they
> return. I got rid of it on my desktop using tweakui, but can I get rid of
> it for good in explorer?
>
> And when it is safe, if ever, to delete all the $xxx update files from
> windows?
>
> Second day with xp, so bear with me. (First day was a bear. Three installs
> before I got it where I wanted it. Last was a clean install to a formatted
> partition. The best info I got was from western digital's website on how
> to do it.)
>
> Any pointer to a good website for newbees would be appreciated.
>
> GA
> --
> My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:07:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In news:HYydnQu87YsiM4vfRVn-uA@suscom-maine.net,
Gordon Abbot <gabbot@mmo.net> typed:

> Like to know how to control the size of pagefile and what a
> decent
> setting would be. Mine is over a gig on a 9 gig partition. I
> have
> almost 767meg memory.


Unless you run very memory-demanding programs, with 767MB of RAM,
1GB of page file is way more than you need. I would reduce the
starting value to 100-200MB and leave the maximum large, so it
can grow if it ever needs to.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Gordon Abbot wrote:

>Like to know how to control the size of pagefile and what a decent
>setting would be. Mine is over a gig on a 9 gig partition. I have almost
>767meg memory.

See www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)
!