applying computer settings... very slow

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

my laptop is on the domain. i take it back and forth from work to home. At
work, its fine because the dns is pointed to the AD dns server so it starts
up fast.

But when i take it home, i get my ISP's dns server. so i guess applying
computer settings and preparting network settings is slow

Also in order for me to log into the domain at home, i am runnning a cisco
vpn client that starts up before i log in.

But the slowness is really before all that

its slow starting up at

preparing network settings..

and

applying compouter settings

What do I have to do?

I'd leave the network cable unplugged until you get to the Cisco VPN client
connectoid. This way it'll time out on getting the DNS server, and
therefore won't attempt to look for the domain controllers at the office.

hth

Ken

"tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> my laptop is on the domain. i take it back and forth from work to home. At
> work, its fine because the dns is pointed to the AD dns server so it
> starts up fast.
>
> But when i take it home, i get my ISP's dns server. so i guess applying
> computer settings and preparting network settings is slow
>
> Also in order for me to log into the domain at home, i am runnning a cisco
> vpn client that starts up before i log in.
>
> But the slowness is really before all that
>
> its slow starting up at
>
> preparing network settings..
>
> and
>
> applying compouter settings
>

> What do I have to do?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Is there another solution to this?

"tony" wrote:
> my laptop is on the domain. i take it back and forth from work
> to home. At
> work, its fine because the dns is pointed to the AD dns server
> so it starts
> up fast.
>
> But when i take it home, i get my ISP's dns server. so i guess
> applying
> computer settings and preparting network settings is slow
>
> Also in order for me to log into the domain at home, i am
> runnning a cisco
> vpn client that starts up before i log in.
>
> But the slowness is really before all that
>
> its slow starting up at
>
> preparing network settings..
>
> and
>
> applying compouter settings
>

> What do I have to do?

Hi,

The slowness is definitely due to DNS issues. However, I am unsure how
to define it differently for two different domains. Have you thought
about using Hardware Profiles? That is all I can think about right off
the top of my head.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-applying-computer-settings-slow-ftopict544378.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1718274

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

No never done hardware profiles. Any tips on how to set this up?