User Policies...

I thought I had this Group Policy thing figured out. I have a single domain
on Windows 2000. I have a couple of Computer policies. I haved placed the
machines in their corresponding OU. Servers into Server OU and so on. I
have been testing WSUS and created a Test WSUS container and put some test
machines in there and created a GPO for that to reflect the WSUS settings.
No Problem.

Now we want to start segmenting our users. I created a User Policies OU and
then a sub OU for my Test Disallow IE Downloading. I put 2 test subjects in
there. I did not test to see if this was working, but I was running some
Group Policy Results for a machine problem and noticed that these policies
were not being applied. Can you not nest OUs and have the Users in their
perspective container and set a User GPO based on that?

Hi,

Yes, the policies above should apply to the user unless there are policies
"closer" to the user that win in a conflict or you have "block inheritance"
on an GP-OU.

I am wondering if you have DNS setup correctly. DNS is usually the issue in
cases where GP isn't applying. http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm

Have you used gprefresh to refresh machine and gpresult to see what is
applying?

The best thing is to download the Group Policy Management Console. It is
amazing because you can view the "enabled settings" of each group Policy. I
found some settings that were set by previous admins that conflicted and were
causing problems. It won't run on Windows 2000 but if you have a Windows XP
machine, you can install the adminpak.msi from the Domain and then administer
GP and AD from there.

Cheers,

Lara