Front Panel power to mobo question

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I just bought all parts for a new budget system, but I am using my old Antec case. The Power LED wire from the front panel has a 3 pin female shunt/jumper on the end of it, with the 1 and 3 pinholes have the pos and gnd wires running into them. The 2nd pinhole in the middle is empty (seems dumb). My mobo only has a 2 pin male jumper for the power LED wire coming from the front panel.

Is it possible to buy a male 3 pin to female 2 pin jumper? I was also thinking to just cut the wire and get a 2 pin female jumper and then stick the wires in. Im not really sure how to crimp it really if it is even needed. I am not sure where to find one locally. I rather just go out and buy one instead of having to wait several days from getting something online. I haven't checked yet, but if radioshack doesn't have it, where else would carry something like this?

Worst case to assume if I don't connect the power led jumper, I just wont see the green light underneath my power button? If it will still power I may just get something online. I haven't tried anything yet, just prepping, cause I get my amd64 processor back from the newegg RMA tommorrow.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I just bought all parts for a new budget system, but I am using my old Antec case. The Power LED wire from the front panel has a 3 pin female shunt/jumper on the end of it, with the 1 and 3 pinholes have the pos and gnd wires running into them. The 2nd pinhole in the middle is empty (seems dumb). My mobo only has a 2 pin male jumper for the power LED wire coming from the front panel.

Is it possible to buy a male 3 pin to female 2 pin jumper? I was also thinking to just cut the wire and get a 2 pin female jumper and then stick the wires in. Im not really sure how to crimp it really if it is even needed. I am not sure where to find one locally. I rather just go out and buy one instead of having to wait several days from getting something online. I haven't checked yet, but if radioshack doesn't have it, where else would carry something like this?

Worst case to assume if I don't connect the power led jumper, I just wont see the green light underneath my power button? If it will still power I may just get something online. I haven't tried anything yet, just prepping, cause I get my amd64 processor back from the newegg RMA tommorrow.
What i do in that situation is, with sidecutters(or some other cutting too), cut in center of the plug. You then trim the excess, until each plug is the width of a single plug. Then plug +/- into their respective pins. Just make sure you don't go wild with the cutters, and cut into the steel(allowing a possible short if two touch). Just realize that this is a permanent fix, but you can still use it in 3 plug set-ups also(just leave the centre pin bare). GL :)