Powering Pharos 360 GPS from PPC?

April 27, 2005 4:07:28 AM

Hi,

I have a viewsonic v37 Pocket pc. I was looking to buy a Pharos 360 GPS (the
one that come with Microsoft Street and trips) in order to connect it to my
PDA. I know that this GPS has a RS-232 serial interface and that the USB
cable that come in the box is simply a Seria-to-USB converter. Since I
already have a serial cable for my viewsonic, I was wondering if I can
connect it to the GPS. I know that the GPS can be powered by the USB cable
that come with it, by can it be powered by a simple DB9 connector? Does a
DB9 connector have enought voltage/wattage to give the 80 mA required by the
GPS?

Thanks,
Sylvain
April 27, 2005 6:43:14 PM

In short, yes, the Pharos iGPS-360 works even if only connected to the
Pocket PC. Dunno for how long though until the battery of the PPC is
drained.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:57:16 AM

Where do you get that idea? If you have done this, I'm sure the OP would
appreciate a source for the requisit cable. The Viewsonic does not have a
USB host port so the S&T Pharos 360 isn't going to work out of the box.
Pharos does sell a cable setup for PPC serial attachment, but it also
incorporates a car charger to power the GPS.
(http://service.pharosgps.com/shopping/store/comersus_vi...
) I can almost guarantee that a serial cable from a PPC does not supply any
voltage for a peripheral, the RS232 standard doesn't even specify such a
voltage source. USB of course does, if the Viewsonic were a host.

"René" <kar98@the-coalition.us> wrote in message
> In short, yes, the Pharos iGPS-360 works even if only connected to the
> Pocket PC. Dunno for how long though until the battery of the PPC is
> drained.

Related resources
April 28, 2005 9:22:38 PM

Sven wrote:
> Where do you get that idea?

From walking around with my Pharos iGPS360, plugged into my Toshiba e335
with the Pharos-supplied Y cable, being about 100 meters away from my
vehicle?
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:40:43 AM

Reply to message from "Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> (Wed, 27 Apr 2005
22:57:16) about ""Re: Powering Pharos 360 GPS from PPC?"":

> Where do you get that idea? If you have done this, I'm sure the OP would
> appreciate a source for the requisit cable.

Pharos also sells a blue tooth adapter for the s&t gps unit, complete with
internal rechargeable battery. A friend has one, and it works quite well
while being fairly compact. This is really only cost effective if you
already have the unit, though.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:42:31 AM

Aha, you have a USB host port. This isn't going to work on a Viewsonic. It
doesn't have the required interface to connect the GPS-360 that way.

What Y cable are you talking about incidentally. The only 'Y' cables I see
for the Toshiba is the one that takes advantage of the serial interface of
the GPS and has a car adapter on it to power the GPS and PPC.

> Sven wrote:
>> Where do you get that idea?
>
> From walking around with my Pharos iGPS360, plugged into my Toshiba e335
> with the Pharos-supplied Y cable, being about 100 meters away from my
> vehicle?

April 29, 2005 4:51:25 PM

Sven wrote:
> Aha, you have a USB host port. This isn't going to work on a Viewsonic.
> It doesn't have the required interface to connect the GPS-360 that way.

Really. Bummer.

> What Y cable are you talking about incidentally.

Toshiba e350/e750 USB Cable Assy for iGPS-360 (#CX016)
http://www.pharosgps.com/images/product/CA012_1.jpg

> The only 'Y' cables I
> see for the Toshiba is the one that takes advantage of the serial
> interface of the GPS and has a car adapter on it to power the GPS and
> PPC.

Well?
!