Rear Projection query..

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 9, 2004 10:19:38 PM

Hi.

I have had a 34'' Sony fr abt 2 yrs now and want to move to a larger screen
size. The plasma is an option but right now very very expensive specially
here in India.

The Rear Projections are seemingly much better than they were a year back
and much more reasonably priced. Thing is , should I go in for one of the
RP's? Im thinking of the Sony 53 kp-fx 532 I think. Theres all types of
opinions. some say best thin g to do and some say they are not worth at any
price. Any advise on whether I should go in for it or not will be really
helpful.

TIA

Ajay

More about : rear projection query

Anonymous
June 9, 2004 10:19:39 PM

Ajay Malkani wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have had a 34'' Sony fr abt 2 yrs now and want to move to a larger
> screen size. The plasma is an option but right now very very
> expensive specially here in India.
>
> The Rear Projections are seemingly much better than they were a year
> back and much more reasonably priced. Thing is , should I go in for
> one of the RP's? Im thinking of the Sony 53 kp-fx 532 I think. Theres
> all types of opinions. some say best thin g to do and some say they
> are not worth at any price. Any advise on whether I should go in for
> it or not will be really helpful.
>
> TIA
>
> Ajay

For the money, they are a great deal and provide some of the best
pictures. If space and possible burn-in issues are not major concerns, a
CRT RPTV is a great choice.

Most companies are starting to get away from CRT-based RPTVs.
Mitsubishi's new lines are all fixed-pixel displays. Pioneer has moved
away from CRTs. Sony makes some great CRTs, as does Toshiba and Hitachi.
The technology is very mature.

You should start to see great pricing on the upcoming HD3-based DLP sets
from Samsung later this Summer (not sure when or if they'll make it to
India). By the end of the year, you should be able to get a 42" DLP set
for under $2000.

Plasma is way too expensive for most of us.

--
David G.
Anonymous

Ajay,

Rear projection technology has come along way in picture quality. Most
agree that rear-projection offers the best quality today and for the
price it's obviously the leader. But no technology is without it's
flaws.

CRT Rear projection sets have to be routinely focused (covergence
adjustment) to assist with this you want to go with a brand that has a
quality auto-convergence (Sony and Hitachi have the best in my
opinion). The other issues with rear-projection sets are: Burn-in (you
have to be careful about black bars from widescreen DVDs and analog
TV) and lastly the viewing angle issue (the picture dimms sharply
unless viewed stright on).

The weight and size or rear-projection HDTVs may be an issue for you
as well (I kind of like having a giant TV in my living room, so this
is a subjective negative).

CRT Rear projection sets burn phospher gas inside the guns to produce
images, this means they eventual wear out just like direct-view TVs.
They have about the same life expectancey which is 8-12 years
depending on viewing habits

The other technologies on the market now are: LCD projection, DLP
projection, Plasma, LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) and Direct-View
(tube based CRT). For price vs quality CRT rear projection sets are
the most popular. You can go to a local Walmart and buy 52" RCA CRT
rear-projection HDTV for $1100 (I don't recommend RCA, but the prices
are down that low on budget end brands).

The other technologies cost more, but they all have their issues.
Plasma cost like 3-4x as much as CRT rear-projection (if you want true
720p HD) and they are actually more prone to burn-in. Plasma's also
have weak blacks, also their life expectancy is about the same as CRT
rear-projection (if not less) so I don't understand why people lay
down $4000-$10,000 on Plasma sets.

LCD projection suffers contrast problems and weak blacks, but the
degree of this varies model to model. Over all I think LCD projection
is a solid investment. DLP (the models with the newer chips) are also
a good investment as LCD and DLP sets do not burn phospher gas so they
won't burn-out in 8-10 years. Technology inprovements will motivate
you to buy a new TV before the set wears out. If you're willing to
spend twice as much DLP and LCD your return on investment is a product
that should last a very long time (like pass down to the grand
children long time :)

-Jeremy
New to HDTV, check out my buyers FAQ
http://hdtv.0catch.com