Group Policy Management Console - Group Policy Results XP ..

Has anyone else not able to run a GPResults against a remote computer that
is on XP Sp2?

When I select the computer, I get "The RPC server is unavailble" Do I need
to enable a port on the firewall? Should I?
2 answers Last reply
More about group policy management console group policy results

    Hi,
    This very problem is the reason I logged onto this newsgroup today. The only
    remote PC I have been able to get results for is one that has a Deskjet
    printer attached and shared for a classroom. This one has File and Printer
    Sharing enabled in the firewall but do I really have to enable this on every
    client? I have also noticed that some GPs are not applying consistently since
    my upgrade to SP2. Some PCs disallow the changing of a background and some
    don't but they are all in the same OU and have the same policy applied.

    Regards,
    Alan.

    "Michael J. Davis" wrote:

    > Has anyone else not able to run a GPResults against a remote computer that
    > is on XP Sp2?
    >
    > When I select the computer, I get "The RPC server is unavailble" Do I need
    > to enable a port on the firewall? Should I?

    If you enable the following firewall exception:

    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Network
    Connections\Windows Firewall\Domain Profile\Windows Firewall: Allow remote
    administration exception

    Then you'll be able to do remote RSOP. GP Results uses remote WMI calls over
    DCOM. This exception enables those ports.

    --
    Darren Mar-Elia
    MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

    "MakeItSo" <MakeItSo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > This very problem is the reason I logged onto this newsgroup today. The
    > only
    > remote PC I have been able to get results for is one that has a Deskjet
    > printer attached and shared for a classroom. This one has File and Printer
    > Sharing enabled in the firewall but do I really have to enable this on
    > every
    > client? I have also noticed that some GPs are not applying consistently
    > since
    > my upgrade to SP2. Some PCs disallow the changing of a background and some
    > don't but they are all in the same OU and have the same policy applied.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Alan.
    >
    > "Michael J. Davis" wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone else not able to run a GPResults against a remote computer
    >> that
    >> is on XP Sp2?
    >>
    >> When I select the computer, I get "The RPC server is unavailble" Do I
    >> need
    >> to enable a port on the firewall? Should I?

Policy Computers Windows XP Windows