Group Policy Management Console - Group Policy Results XP ..

Has anyone else not able to run a GPResults against a remote computer that
is on XP Sp2?

When I select the computer, I get "The RPC server is unavailble" Do I need
to enable a port on the firewall? Should I?

Hi,
This very problem is the reason I logged onto this newsgroup today. The only
remote PC I have been able to get results for is one that has a Deskjet
printer attached and shared for a classroom. This one has File and Printer
Sharing enabled in the firewall but do I really have to enable this on every
client? I have also noticed that some GPs are not applying consistently since
my upgrade to SP2. Some PCs disallow the changing of a background and some
don't but they are all in the same OU and have the same policy applied.

Regards,
Alan.

"Michael J. Davis" wrote:

> Has anyone else not able to run a GPResults against a remote computer that
> is on XP Sp2?
>
> When I select the computer, I get "The RPC server is unavailble" Do I need
> to enable a port on the firewall? Should I?

If you enable the following firewall exception:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Network
Connections\Windows Firewall\Domain Profile\Windows Firewall: Allow remote
administration exception

Then you'll be able to do remote RSOP. GP Results uses remote WMI calls over
DCOM. This exception enables those ports.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy