Computer froze -after reboot bios reset no hd's recognized

NiklasK

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Well I just finished building my first Homebuilt PC last week and everything was running fine up until 2 days ago. I've been overclocking my E6600 to 3.6 GHz for the past week now with 40C at idle 45C at load. I then overclocked my Mushkin Memory (2 x 1G) from DDR2 800 to 860 in hope to see what I could get out of those. Well it ran great for a few days but it started getting freeze-ups so I upped the voltage a little bit and set it down to 850. Ran greaet for a few days. All of a sudden the computer freezes again so I go back into the bios and set it to 820. Only problem is it underclocked it back to 801 for some weird reason. After further testing I find that it will only use the settings I input if they are over 852. If anything is under it will go to 801. If I set it to 800 the default they're supposed to run at it downclocks even more to 768. All tests were run using 5-5-5-15 timings.

I ignored the memory problems for a few days until today my computer froze up again. This time upon reboot it said it said:

"PS/2 Mouse error or no PS/2 mouse present"

After seeing that I immidiately go into the Bios and find that everything has been set back to the default. I leave everything as is hoping to not to screw everything up and try to boot into windows. When I boot-up it says the error (in the boot-up screen now Windows) but I press F1 anyway to continue. It can't find any of the HD's (I have two) and goes through all the boot priorities until it gets to external device and says it coulodn't find any. I boot back into bios hoping that I just had to enable the HD's somwhere but upon looking at all the IDE and SATA ports none said they had ANY capacity what-so-ever. I change the boot priority to HD, CD, External and try again. Still nothing and it still doesn't recognize any of my HD's besides my floppy disk. So I insert my Windows XP Disk hoping I can boot off of there. It says please insert the CD into the drive and press enter but nothing happens.

Well I'm using a wireless USB mouse so please tell me if that might be the problem concerning the PS/2 Mouse Error but what about all the other stuff? My motherboard is posting 7F which in my mobo manual means:

"POST error check - Check POST error and display them and ask for user intervention"

Please help guys, I think it has to do with the HD's and the memory being a different problem all together but I just thought it might be helpful.

$1800.00 for one of the most frustrating 9 hours of my life. :(

My specs are in my signature.
Hope you guys can help,

Thanks, Nick

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Well I just finished building my first Homebuilt PC last week and everything was running fine up until 2 days ago. I've been overclocking my E6600 to 3.6 GHz for the past week now with 40C at idle 45C at load. I then overclocked my Mushkin Memory (2 x 1G) from DDR2 800 to 860 in hope to see what I could get out of those. Well it ran great for a few days but it started getting freeze-ups so I upped the voltage a little bit and set it down to 850. Ran greaet for a few days. All of a sudden the computer freezes again so I go back into the bios and set it to 820. Only problem is it underclocked it back to 801 for some weird reason. After further testing I find that it will only use the settings I input if they are over 852. If anything is under it will go to 801. If I set it to 800 the default they're supposed to run at it downclocks even more to 768. All tests were run using 5-5-5-15 timings.

I ignored the memory problems for a few days until today my computer froze up again. This time upon reboot it said it said:

"PS/2 Mouse error or no PS/2 mouse present"

After seeing that I immidiately go into the Bios and find that everything has been set back to the default. I leave everything as is hoping to not to screw everything up and try to boot into windows. When I boot-up it says the error (in the boot-up screen now Windows) but I press F1 anyway to continue. It can't find any of the HD's (I have two) and goes through all the boot priorities until it gets to external device and says it coulodn't find any. I boot back into bios hoping that I just had to enable the HD's somwhere but upon looking at all the IDE and SATA ports none said they had ANY capacity what-so-ever. I change the boot priority to HD, CD, External and try again. Still nothing and it still doesn't recognize any of my HD's besides my floppy disk. So I insert my Windows XP Disk hoping I can boot off of there. It says please insert the CD into the drive and press enter but nothing happens.

Well I'm using a wireless USB mouse so please tell me if that might be the problem concerning the PS/2 Mouse Error but what about all the other stuff? My motherboard is posting 7F which in my mobo manual means:

"POST error check - Check POST error and display them and ask for user intervention"

Please help guys, I think it has to do with the HD's and the memory being a different problem all together but I just thought it might be helpful.

$1800.00 for one of the most frustrating 9 hours of my life. :(

My specs are in my signature.
Hope you guys can help,

Thanks, Nick
Even though you reset the BIOS to defaults, i would use the clear CMOS jumper on the mobo. Hopefully that will truly reset everything, then you can go through and apply your settings again. If that doesn't work, then i would say that your BIOS is corrupted. GL :)

NiklasK

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Thanks a lot, I'll try that first thing tomorow morning as I still have some work I have to finish tonight.

By having everything set back to the default I would still retain all the information on my HD's right or would I have to make a new partition and lose all my data?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks a lot, I'll try that first thing tomorow morning as I still have some work I have to finish tonight.

By having everything set back to the default I would still retain all the information on my HD's right or would I have to make a new partition and lose all my data?
That won't affect your data/partitions. :wink: