Can My Airflow Get Better?

Krauser15

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Right now I have 3 fans in my case, 2 intake which are on the front and side that are rated at 110 CFM and 70 CFM. 1 exhaust fan which is located at the back on my case that has an unknown CFM, spins at 1400 RPM. My question is, would it be a good idea to replace the old one and add a 110 CFM exhaust fan or would that get rid of the cool air too quickly? Right now my temps are...

CPU: E6600 3.5 GHz 1.40 vcore TEMP: 27C CPU CASE // 36C CORE 1 IDLE // 37C CORE 2 IDLE // 55-56 CORES MAX

GFX: 8800 GTX In SLi OCED TEMP: 52 C IDLE // 65 LOAD

HDD: 150 GB RAPTOR TEMP: 21C

MOBO:
P5W DH TEMP: 27C

Thanks.

Krauser15

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I'm using a Tsunami Dream, so the side fan is stuck there unless I want to see a nice big hole.

Do you think it'll be alright if I replace the old 1400 RPM fan?

Featherstone

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Right now I have 3 fans in my case, 2 intake which are on the front and side that are rated at 110 CFM and 70 CFM. 1 exhaust fan which is located at the back on my case that has an unknown CFM, spins at 1400 RPM. My question is, would it be a good idea to replace the old one and add a 110 CFM exhaust fan or would that get rid of the cool air too quickly? Right now my temps are...

CPU: E6600 3.5 GHz 1.40 vcore TEMP: 27C CPU CASE // 36C CORE 1 IDLE // 37C CORE 2 IDLE // 55-56 CORES MAX

MOBO:

Thanks.

Your temps look great, why do you want better airflow?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
They are decent, but the case air flow is not optimal.

Just switch the 110CFM fan to exhaust on the back and put the 1400rpm (probably ~50CFM or less) as the intake wherever the 110 was.

As mpilchfamily said, better to have more exhaust than intake :)

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006

MOBO:

Thanks.

Your temps look great, why do you want better airflow?

Yeah, serious. Looks rockin' to me. 8)

WizardOZ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I'm using a Tsunami Dream, so the side fan is stuck there unless I want to see a nice big hole.

Do you think it'll be alright if I replace the old 1400 RPM fan?

According to the specs for this case on Thermaltake's web site, the front and rear fans on the case are identical. That means that the rear fan should also be pulling 110 CFM. So leave it alone.

The suggestrion about removing the side fan is not unreasonable.

You don't necessarily have to end up with a hole in the side of your case. You have two options here, assuming that you want to remove the fan.

First option is to replace the transparent plastic side panel that includes the extra fan with a solid metal side panel from Thermaltake. They will sell you one of those, and it will fit perfectly.

It is curious to note that the solid metal side-panel does not include a fan. I wonder why the clear panel does. Oh wait, that kind of panel is popular with a certain class of enthusiasts who want to show off how "neato" their systems are. They are suckers for extraneous gadgets, and something like a side-panel fan makes the system that much more "neato". They sure got your number. You paid at least $30 to $50 more for that clear side panel with the fan.

You can't put a fan in the top of your case because that is where your USB, Firewire and sound ports are located.

If you wamt to keep the clear panel but lose the fan, you don't have to end up with a hole in the side. All you need to do is get some plastic, carefully cut it to size to fit the hole left by the fan and glue it in. You could use a diiferent colured palstic, or get some plastic that has been doped to glow when exposed to UV or fluorescent light. Glue that in and install a very small UV bulb to shine on the plastic. And Voila, a really "neato" case. is yours.

Hope this helps.

Krauser15

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
It's why I said the "old fan", I bought two new ones they're much faster and louder than the old ones. The side glass was only $10 more and I was too lazy to wire the top USB panel, I have one in with sound on the front which was easier to setup.

Coolness

EDIT: From Right to Left - MOBO - CPU - CORE 1 - CORE 2, - GPU - HDD