Sound not working and system hanging at shut down

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
After switching parts into my new case and hooking up my new PSU I encountered a small problem. My sound doesn't work! The speakers are plugged into my motherboard's audio directly (green to green) so I don't see why there should be a problem. Help me out, I'm really confused :?

System specs:
P4 Prescott 3.0e
Asus P4SD-LA (Oxford)
1Gb DDR-400 RAM
Corsair HX520W
Antec 900 case

Also there is another problem, I noticed that my system freezes every time I try to shut down hanging on the "windows is shutting down" screen. This has happened before with an old Rosewill PSU. I thought it was caused by an underpowered PSU (it only had 16A) because after I put in a new coolmax 18A PSU the problem magically disappeared. But now it is sadly back with my new Corsair PSU. Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this? I think it might be software related but I don't know it's really had me stumped.

Any help is appreciated!

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Negative but I will go off and check it now :oops:'

And: what if I don't have a Windows XP install disc? can I repair install in this way? and if I have to repair install will I need to backup my data?

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
It is a boxed system with recovery tools on another partition. Partition D: is called "HP Recovery"

The sound drivers seem to be in order. By the way my sound device is called "Realtek AC'97" but still not fixed.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
It won't be tonight, I don't have that kind of time but where should I backup all my files? I don't have an external hard drive and I only have a few CD's to backup to. Is it possible to backup my files on my hard drive? or should I just go buy an external hard drive and make this a lot easier? we were planning on doing that anyway.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Ah, then I am going to need another HDD. :(

I still can't figure out the sound problem though. I didn't change drivers or do anything related to sound except for unplug and then replug it into the same motherboard. There is only one plug-in (sound-out) and it is in the right one. I didn't hook up the sound to the front audio panel but that shouldn't matter right? I've only hooked the sound up to the motherboard and that is how it has always been.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Yes I put all cards back into the same slots; I only had a NIC and my Video card which is AGP and I put the NIC in the same slot. I tried following the troubleshooter in device manager and it led me to windows update where I found that the express install wanted me to install "Realtek AC'97 Audio". So I try installing it and it says Realtek AC'97 Audio installation.......................Failed!

Could this be my problem?
I'm not sure if this is because I rolled back drivers (which didn't fix it) or it was my problem all along.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Also a lot of my devices are just lumped together on a few IRQs but it has been like that for quite awhile. I did some searching on it awhile ago and came up with the answer that my machine is ACPI-compliant which means that IRQs aren't important. That's what I got out of it at least.

By the way: My onboard sound has its own IRQ (17)

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Is it possible I damaged something transferring parts from one case to the other? I didn't drop the motherboard nor did I drop anything else.

There are a few things I don't have hooked up because there arent any connectors for it.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
[IIII] [IIII] I_III [iiii]
CD-In AUX Speark out Front HP out
4 1 4 1

and four smaller pins like CD-in or AUX labeled Front HP out which I believe went to the HP's front panel.

I believe it has something to do with speark out (which I took to mean as speaker out) But there wasn't anything that I would describe as a jumper persay. They were all definitely cord that connected to the motherboard.

Here is my layout:

motherboardlayout.jpg

But here is a better picture:

Motherboardlayout2.gif

The pins I am talking about are down at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure now that this might be the problem because it seems to fit. I'm just not sure what to hook what up to what.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Sure, I'll try anything. Other than this there aren't any new problems.

Edit: Perhaps I will just break down buy a sound card and solve this whole issue :lol:

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Well, somehow my shut down hanging problem is fixed. I don't know how but it's quite nice. I dont have my old case yet it is in my parent's car (go figure).