Reviving henchmen in Sou/HotU

For the first time I noticed that when a henchman dies in SoU, they just
stay on the ground (as was talked about the other day). I guess this is
because I have HotU installed as well.

Anyway, is there any way to get them back in your group without having
to resurrect them yourself? My character can't use scrolls. Do I just
have to keep reloading when they die?

First Aid Packs also brings them back, as the OC and the addons don't use
the AD&D Death script, they are not dead. Just reduced to 0 hp's. The script
allows for a pc/npc to be incapacitated at 0 hp's and further checks til hps
reach -10 in which case, a First aid pack stabilizes a pc/npc to stop the
hp's droppin to -10. think of it as a pc/npc bleeding to death, once they
reach -10hp's they'd be dead and only raisiable by a Raise Dead/ Resurrect
Scroll or spells.

...Syn...

Visceral_Syn wrote:
> First Aid Packs also brings them back, as the OC and the addons don't use
> the AD&D Death script, they are not dead. Just reduced to 0 hp's. The script
> allows for a pc/npc to be incapacitated at 0 hp's and further checks til hps
> reach -10 in which case, a First aid pack stabilizes a pc/npc to stop the
> hp's droppin to -10. think of it as a pc/npc bleeding to death, once they
> reach -10hp's they'd be dead and only raisiable by a Raise Dead/ Resurrect
> Scroll or spells.
>

> ...Syn...

Thanks, I didn't even think about trying to heal them.

John Salerno wrote:
> Anyway, is there any way to get them back in your group without having
> to resurrect them yourself? My character can't use scrolls. Do I just
> have to keep reloading when they die?

IIRC, Resurrect scrolls are useable by any class. I think there may have
been a special item in SoU for this purpose; but, it's been so long
since I played it (and I only played it once), that I really can't
remember what to do. (Doesn't help that I never used a henchperson when
I did play the campaign.)
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>Anyway, is there any way to get them back in your group without having
>>to resurrect them yourself? My character can't use scrolls. Do I just
>>have to keep reloading when they die?
>

> IIRC, Resurrect scrolls are useable by any class. I think there may have
> been a special item in SoU for this purpose; but, it's been so long
> since I played it (and I only played it once), that I really can't
> remember what to do. (Doesn't help that I never used a henchperson when
> I did play the campaign.)

Sometimes I feel like doing it solo, but it seems like it might be too
hard that way.

John Salerno wrote:
> Sometimes I feel like doing it solo, but it seems like it might be too
> hard that way.

My one time through SoU was with a paladin, and I quickly found the
available henchpersons to be just this side of worthless.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>Sometimes I feel like doing it solo, but it seems like it might be too
>>hard that way.
>

> My one time through SoU was with a paladin, and I quickly found the
> available henchpersons to be just this side of worthless.

Funny. As soon as I said it might be hard without one, my henchman died
(and respawned back at Drogan's house, so I guess that meant her HP
dropped below -10) and I got her back, then she immediately died again.
Since then I've gone on my own (with my trusty animal companion as soon
as I reached level 6), and it hasn't been a problem at all. Dorna was
good for the disarming, but that's about it. I like soloing, so I'm glad
I can do it. I think it would have been much harder in the OC to do it.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

> Funny. As soon as I said it might be hard without one, my henchman died
> (and respawned back at Drogan's house, so I guess that meant her HP
> dropped below -10) and I got her back, then she immediately died again.
> Since then I've gone on my own (with my trusty animal companion as soon as
> I reached level 6), and it hasn't been a problem at all. Dorna was good
> for the disarming, but that's about it. I like soloing, so I'm glad I can
> do it. I think it would have been much harder in the OC to do it.

I can vouch that it is INDEED far harder to do in the OC. You'd get swarmed
very, very quickly....and even as a spellcaster, with a high summon and a
good, solid familiar, having that henchman (or henchwoman, in my case) comes
in really handy.

It'd probably be POSSIBLE to solo through the OC. I'm not brave enough to
try it, even with the extra xp calling me.

-[ Blayde ]-

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> > Funny. As soon as I said it might be hard without one, my henchman died
> > (and respawned back at Drogan's house, so I guess that meant her HP
> > dropped below -10) and I got her back, then she immediately died again.
> > Since then I've gone on my own (with my trusty animal companion as soon
as
> > I reached level 6), and it hasn't been a problem at all. Dorna was good
> > for the disarming, but that's about it. I like soloing, so I'm glad I
can
> > do it. I think it would have been much harder in the OC to do it.
>
> I can vouch that it is INDEED far harder to do in the OC. You'd get
swarmed
> very, very quickly....and even as a spellcaster, with a high summon and a
> good, solid familiar, having that henchman (or henchwoman, in my case)
comes
> in really handy.
>
> It'd probably be POSSIBLE to solo through the OC. I'm not brave enough to
> try it, even with the extra xp calling me.
>
> -[ Blayde ]-

Doesn't the module scale based on party sizes? More henchmen more monsters?

Insane Ranter wrote:
> "mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
>
>>>Funny. As soon as I said it might be hard without one, my henchman died
>>>(and respawned back at Drogan's house, so I guess that meant her HP
>>>dropped below -10) and I got her back, then she immediately died again.
>>>Since then I've gone on my own (with my trusty animal companion as soon
>
> as
>
>>>I reached level 6), and it hasn't been a problem at all. Dorna was good
>>>for the disarming, but that's about it. I like soloing, so I'm glad I
>
> can
>
>>>do it. I think it would have been much harder in the OC to do it.
>>
>>I can vouch that it is INDEED far harder to do in the OC. You'd get
>
> swarmed
>
>>very, very quickly....and even as a spellcaster, with a high summon and a
>>good, solid familiar, having that henchman (or henchwoman, in my case)
>
> comes
>
>>in really handy.
>>
>>It'd probably be POSSIBLE to solo through the OC. I'm not brave enough to
>>try it, even with the extra xp calling me.
>>
>>-[ Blayde ]-
>>

> Doesn't the module scale based on party sizes? More henchmen more monsters?

I'm not sure, but I know there is a 'tip' during the loading screen of
the OC that says something like 'The difficulty of the game assumes you
have a henchman, and you might find the game too hard without one.'

John Salerno wrote:
> I like soloing, so I'm glad
> I can do it. I think it would have been much harder in the OC to do it.

I (mostly) soloed NWN with a monk. I used Tomi occasionally in Chapter
1; but, once I left for Helm's Hold, it was solo the rest of the way.
HotU, on the other hand, I always used two henchpersons and needed
them--even though both characters I played with were tanks.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:

> My one time through SoU was with a paladin, and I quickly found the
> available henchpersons to be just this side of worthless.

Nonsense, with access to henchmen inventory, Dorna makes a fine pack
mule :)

Oh, sure, for combat and stuff, they're a liabity. I often made her
"stand her ground" before encounters, but early on there are few magic
bags, and it's nice to be able to carry more loot before returning to
a merchant to sell it off.

I think it was pretty much agreed that whatshisname, the half-orc, is
the most useless/annoying henchman EVAR! :)

John Salerno wrote:

> For the first time I noticed that when a henchman dies in SoU, they just
> stay on the ground (as was talked about the other day). I guess this is
> because I have HotU installed as well.
>
> Anyway, is there any way to get them back in your group without having
> to resurrect them yourself? My character can't use scrolls. Do I just
> have to keep reloading when they die?

If you speak to the cleric before you leave for the underdark, you get given
a rod of ressurection, with 20 charges on it.

After that is is only about 40k for another one, with 10 cahrges on it.

BL

John Salerno wrote:

>> Doesn't the module scale based on party sizes? More henchmen more
>> monsters?
>>

> I'm not sure, but I know there is a 'tip' during the loading screen of
> the OC that says something like 'The difficulty of the game assumes
> you have a henchman, and you might find the game too hard without
> one.'

There are at least two ways to place enemies in a module: You can create
them at design time or you may use "Encounters". In the first case they will
always be the same character, regardless of the player's level. The latter
contains a list of possible monsters of different levels and a min and max
number of creatures it will spawn. The game will try to meet the specified
challenge rate by altering amount and type of the enemies when the player
triggers the encounter. From what I have seen until now there is a
difference between soloing and working with a henchman, but the CR doesn't
seem to increase very much as well. OTOH, bosses and NPCs included in quests
are always hand made and therefor never changes their level.

Hans

alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
> Barry Scott Will wrote:
>

>>My one time through SoU was with a paladin, and I quickly found the
>>available henchpersons to be just this side of worthless.
>

> Nonsense, with access to henchmen inventory, Dorna makes a fine pack
> mule :)

I was playing a STR-based paladin. I was my own pack mule. :)
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote in message

> It'd probably be POSSIBLE to solo through the OC. I'm not brave enough to
> try it, even with the extra xp calling me.
>
> -[ Blayde ]-

I'm in the OC, chapter 2, and have only just got a henchman, mainly for the
extra storyline. I'm playing a halfling rogue, and I hide a lot and draw out
my enemies one by one. For this the companion is useless. Mostly they "stand
ground" at the start of the area. The only time I really use my henchman
(Sharwyn) is when I'm fighting a boss, when she buffs me. Can be a pain
running back to get her though.

--
Merlin

"There are 2 rules to being a success in life: 1. Never give out all the
information."