Toshiba HDTV and Comcast Cable?

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 9, 2004 6:05:04 PM

Hi, all:

I use Comcast cable in NJ right now, I am thinking to get one HDTV (or
HD ready). The models I am looking at are:

Toshiba 57H83 and Toshiba 57H93 (any other good ones which are in the
similar price range?)

To me, the major difference of these 2 TVs is that 57H93 has this
"8VSB/QAM Tuners" which 57H83 doesn't have.

I understand this tuner is for getting digital signal over the air,
since I use digital cable, I don't really need this. Am I right?

BTW, which TV should I go for? Price margin is around $500-600.

Thanks a lot!!
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 1:20:50 AM

On 9-Jun-2004, ibm_97@yahoo.com (JZ) wrote:

> I understand this tuner is for getting digital signal over the air,
> since I use digital cable, I don't really need this. Am I right?

Depends. Don't count on the fact that the Comcast will carry all of your
local OTA channels in HD. I can't speak for NJ, but in the Atlanta area, my
Comcast doesn't carry ABC, UPN, WB, or PAX in HD - even though they have HD
content. Sure, I can watch in "SD" if I want, but the whole point of going
HD was *watching* HD.

Very soon I'll be buying an OTA receiver for my house.

--
Chris

Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 7:10:39 AM

"JZ" <ibm_97@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, all:
>
> I use Comcast cable in NJ right now, I am thinking to get one HDTV (or
> HD ready). The models I am looking at are:
>
> Toshiba 57H83 and Toshiba 57H93 (any other good ones which are in the
> similar price range?)
>
> To me, the major difference of these 2 TVs is that 57H93 has this
> "8VSB/QAM Tuners" which 57H83 doesn't have.
>
> I understand this tuner is for getting digital signal over the air,
> since I use digital cable, I don't really need this. Am I right?
>
> BTW, which TV should I go for? Price margin is around $500-600.
>
> Thanks a lot!!

That is basically what I decided. Comcast New England carries all of the HD
content that I could get over the air (had an OTA receiver and antenna, and
the cable gets the same content as I could get). You should definitely
check to be sure, as another poster recommended. If Comcast carries
everything you need, get the 57H83 without the tuner and enjoy it. Its a
great set.

Matt
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 7:07:00 AM

I know in Boston they already have ABC CBS NBC and FOX

--
A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's

!