Need to set user as local administrator to run programs?

If I don`t set the users as local administrators I can`t get some programs
running properly. I tried to apply GPOs, to modify user`s properties, but I
simply doesn`t know how to make the programs work without setting the user as
a local or a domain administrator. Set them as Power Users doesn`t work
either! What can I do?
5 answers Last reply
More about need user local administrator programs

    Bruno explained on 14/06/2005 :
    > If I don`t set the users as local administrators I can`t get some programs
    > running properly. I tried to apply GPOs, to modify user`s properties, but I
    > simply doesn`t know how to make the programs work without setting the user as
    > a local or a domain administrator. Set them as Power Users doesn`t work
    > either! What can I do?

    wich programs are they?
    I've delt with a lot of them and for some I have an answer

    for others I use regmon and/or filemon
    with these tools I can log wich files and registry keys are being
    written to

    it's ussually the write operations on a certain registry branch or keys
    that are the culprit
    then you can set security permissions to allow users write access

    grtz

    --
    just a suggestion:

    d;-p

    We are a pharmaceutical laboratory and we have installed some programs for
    our analysis. I agree with you: it`s something related to writing to the
    registry. I don`t know exactly what are the programs.....Chemstore from
    Agilent is one of them, I think. How can I set these securiry permissions for
    the users?? What are these...regmon, filemon??

    After serious thinking Bruno wrote :
    > We are a pharmaceutical laboratory and we have installed some programs for
    > our analysis. I agree with you: it`s something related to writing to the
    > registry. I don`t know exactly what are the programs.....Chemstore from
    > Agilent is one of them, I think. How can I set these securiry permissions for
    > the users?? What are these...regmon, filemon??
    >
    > "chriske911" wrote:
    >
    >> Bruno explained on 14/06/2005 :
    >>
    >> wich programs are they?
    >> I've delt with a lot of them and for some I have an answer
    >>
    >> for others I use regmon and/or filemon
    >> with these tools I can log wich files and registry keys are being
    >> written to
    >>
    >> it's ussually the write operations on a certain registry branch or keys
    >> that are the culprit
    >> then you can set security permissions to allow users write access
    >>
    >> grtz
    >>
    >> --
    >> just a suggestion:
    >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    >>
    >> d;-p

    they are freeware tools from sys internals
    the one keeps an eye on all accessed files (duh)
    and offcourse the other does the same for the registry (double duh)

    they are very easy in use and provide an insight very fast
    filtering on process is the key

    I think it's www.sysinternals.com
    otherwise google it ;-)

    grtz

    --
    just a suggestion:

    d;-p

    Thanks for the info!!
    Well, OK, I have the registry keys and files accessed....but how can I set
    permissions to the users without making them local administrators??

    "chriske911" wrote:

    > After serious thinking Bruno wrote :
    > > We are a pharmaceutical laboratory and we have installed some programs for
    > > our analysis. I agree with you: it`s something related to writing to the
    > > registry. I don`t know exactly what are the programs.....Chemstore from
    > > Agilent is one of them, I think. How can I set these securiry permissions for
    > > the users?? What are these...regmon, filemon??
    > >
    > > "chriske911" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Bruno explained on 14/06/2005 :
    > >>
    > >> wich programs are they?
    > >> I've delt with a lot of them and for some I have an answer
    > >>
    > >> for others I use regmon and/or filemon
    > >> with these tools I can log wich files and registry keys are being
    > >> written to
    > >>
    > >> it's ussually the write operations on a certain registry branch or keys
    > >> that are the culprit
    > >> then you can set security permissions to allow users write access
    > >>
    > >> grtz
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> just a suggestion:
    > >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    > >>
    > >> d;-p
    > >>

    > they are freeware tools from sys internals
    > the one keeps an eye on all accessed files (duh)
    > and offcourse the other does the same for the registry (double duh)
    >
    > they are very easy in use and provide an insight very fast
    > filtering on process is the key
    >
    > I think it's www.sysinternals.com
    > otherwise google it ;-)
    >
    > grtz
    >
    > --
    > just a suggestion:
    >
    > d;-p

    It happens that Bruno formulated :
    > Thanks for the info!!
    > Well, OK, I have the registry keys and files accessed....but how can I set
    > permissions to the users without making them local administrators??
    >
    > "chriske911" wrote:
    >
    >> After serious thinking Bruno wrote :
    >>
    >> they are freeware tools from sys internals
    >> the one keeps an eye on all accessed files (duh)
    >> and offcourse the other does the same for the registry (double duh)
    >>
    >> they are very easy in use and provide an insight very fast
    >> filtering on process is the key
    >>
    >> I think it's www.sysinternals.com
    >> otherwise google it ;-)
    >>
    >> grtz
    >>
    >> --
    >> just a suggestion:
    >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    >>
    >> d;-p

    you have to log on as an administrator on the workstation
    and then start up regedt32 (if I'm remembering right)
    then you can set permissions on a key or on a branch

    for files use the security tab in NTFS

    grtz

    --
    just a suggestion: