Need to set user as local administrator to run programs?

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 14, 2005 2:56:03 PM

If I don`t set the users as local administrators I can`t get some programs
running properly. I tried to apply GPOs, to modify user`s properties, but I
simply doesn`t know how to make the programs work without setting the user as
a local or a domain administrator. Set them as Power Users doesn`t work
either! What can I do?

More about : set user local administrator run programs

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:04:29 AM

Bruno explained on 14/06/2005 :
> If I don`t set the users as local administrators I can`t get some programs
> running properly. I tried to apply GPOs, to modify user`s properties, but I
> simply doesn`t know how to make the programs work without setting the user as
> a local or a domain administrator. Set them as Power Users doesn`t work
> either! What can I do?

wich programs are they?
I've delt with a lot of them and for some I have an answer

for others I use regmon and/or filemon
with these tools I can log wich files and registry keys are being
written to

it's ussually the write operations on a certain registry branch or keys
that are the culprit
then you can set security permissions to allow users write access

grtz

--
just a suggestion:

d;-p
June 15, 2005 12:04:30 AM

We are a pharmaceutical laboratory and we have installed some programs for
our analysis. I agree with you: it`s something related to writing to the
registry. I don`t know exactly what are the programs.....Chemstore from
Agilent is one of them, I think. How can I set these securiry permissions for
the users?? What are these...regmon, filemon??

"chriske911" wrote:

> Bruno explained on 14/06/2005 :
> > If I don`t set the users as local administrators I can`t get some programs
> > running properly. I tried to apply GPOs, to modify user`s properties, but I
> > simply doesn`t know how to make the programs work without setting the user as
> > a local or a domain administrator. Set them as Power Users doesn`t work
> > either! What can I do?
>
> wich programs are they?
> I've delt with a lot of them and for some I have an answer
>
> for others I use regmon and/or filemon
> with these tools I can log wich files and registry keys are being
> written to
>
> it's ussually the write operations on a certain registry branch or keys
> that are the culprit
> then you can set security permissions to allow users write access
>
> grtz
>
> --
> just a suggestion:
>
> d;-p

June 15, 2005 1:20:34 AM

After serious thinking Bruno wrote :
> We are a pharmaceutical laboratory and we have installed some programs for
> our analysis. I agree with you: it`s something related to writing to the
> registry. I don`t know exactly what are the programs.....Chemstore from
> Agilent is one of them, I think. How can I set these securiry permissions for
> the users?? What are these...regmon, filemon??
>
> "chriske911" wrote:
>
>> Bruno explained on 14/06/2005 :
>>
>> wich programs are they?
>> I've delt with a lot of them and for some I have an answer
>>
>> for others I use regmon and/or filemon
>> with these tools I can log wich files and registry keys are being
>> written to
>>
>> it's ussually the write operations on a certain registry branch or keys
>> that are the culprit
>> then you can set security permissions to allow users write access
>>
>> grtz
>>
>> --
>> just a suggestion:
>> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
>>
>> d;-p

they are freeware tools from sys internals
the one keeps an eye on all accessed files (duh)
and offcourse the other does the same for the registry (double duh)

they are very easy in use and provide an insight very fast
filtering on process is the key

I think it's www.sysinternals.com
otherwise google it ;-)

grtz

--
just a suggestion:

d;-p
June 15, 2005 1:20:35 AM

Thanks for the info!!
Well, OK, I have the registry keys and files accessed....but how can I set
permissions to the users without making them local administrators??

"chriske911" wrote:

> After serious thinking Bruno wrote :
> > We are a pharmaceutical laboratory and we have installed some programs for
> > our analysis. I agree with you: it`s something related to writing to the
> > registry. I don`t know exactly what are the programs.....Chemstore from
> > Agilent is one of them, I think. How can I set these securiry permissions for
> > the users?? What are these...regmon, filemon??
> >
> > "chriske911" wrote:
> >
> >> Bruno explained on 14/06/2005 :
> >>
> >> wich programs are they?
> >> I've delt with a lot of them and for some I have an answer
> >>
> >> for others I use regmon and/or filemon
> >> with these tools I can log wich files and registry keys are being
> >> written to
> >>
> >> it's ussually the write operations on a certain registry branch or keys
> >> that are the culprit
> >> then you can set security permissions to allow users write access
> >>
> >> grtz
> >>
> >> --
> >> just a suggestion:
> >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> >>
> >> d;-p
> >>

> they are freeware tools from sys internals
> the one keeps an eye on all accessed files (duh)
> and offcourse the other does the same for the registry (double duh)
>
> they are very easy in use and provide an insight very fast
> filtering on process is the key
>
> I think it's www.sysinternals.com
> otherwise google it ;-)
>
> grtz
>
> --
> just a suggestion:
>
> d;-p

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:43:19 AM

It happens that Bruno formulated :
> Thanks for the info!!
> Well, OK, I have the registry keys and files accessed....but how can I set
> permissions to the users without making them local administrators??
>
> "chriske911" wrote:
>
>> After serious thinking Bruno wrote :
>>
>> they are freeware tools from sys internals
>> the one keeps an eye on all accessed files (duh)
>> and offcourse the other does the same for the registry (double duh)
>>
>> they are very easy in use and provide an insight very fast
>> filtering on process is the key
>>
>> I think it's www.sysinternals.com
>> otherwise google it ;-)
>>
>> grtz
>>
>> --
>> just a suggestion:
>> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
>>
>> d;-p

you have to log on as an administrator on the workstation
and then start up regedt32 (if I'm remembering right)
then you can set permissions on a key or on a branch

for files use the security tab in NTFS

grtz

--
just a suggestion: