Phantom ssid in dlink dwl-G710 range extender's site survey

johndumont

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
setup the crap junk idiotbox extender at a site.
ran the site survey and noticed a ssid entry of H'1 (could be an I)
never thought nothing of it.
could not get an ip from the dlink di-524 router.
brought the crap junk idiotbox extender home and ran site survey.
i know the wifi routers in my area like the back of my hand at home and there is that phantom H'1 entry with this (pasted) info:
BSS=08-0c-12-18-24-30
SSID=H`l
WEP=OPEN
CHANNEL=6
dlink support is .... never mind.
question: does anyone else see this phantom ssid in the site survey?
the H/W rev. is B1
brand new out of the box... did a hard reset at least twice now.
oh... the firmware is 2.00 and on the website is only 1.03
tried to flash it for the heck of it and got checksum errors three times.
each time downloaded file to different directory on hard drive.
hello, dlink wifi products? goodbye.

johndumont

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
one note i failed to mention but i doubt it matters.
in order to comply with the existing network, we changed the lan ip on the DI-524 from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1
one question dlink could not answer is when I am scanning for networks in my adapters utility, what do i connect to? the extenders ssid/mac or the router's ssid/mac ? the ssid's are the same but i know which is which by the mac's.
do i have to manually change the lan ip on the extender to 192.168.1.30?
why is the gateway 0.0.0.0 on the extender?
MEH.

AllegroJimRossi

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
any luck on this problem? i thought BSS=08-0c-12-18-24-30 was just the mac address of the wireless portion of the range extender, but i guess not since we both have the same BSS value. the channel changes whenever you change the channel on the range extender (the change is reflected on the site survey.)
d-link support said to return the device because there is no alternative firmware for this device.

do you have anything new?

TurboSpool

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I have seen the H'I(1) using the D-Link DWL-G710 and have experience many of the problems you have mentioned. I'm unaware though what the H'I is. I am connecting the 710 to a mimo router in a house of 6 machines. Since I'm using a mimo router to connect it will only allow 1 channel to be connected to the repeater. I used a machine that was hardwired in to find the IP, Submask, and Defualt Gateway and entered that into the repeater. I had to use a 54g network adapter to connect as well. So with all computers off I can connect one computer to the repeater with perfect results. However if I try to connect the other computers to the router they still use the MAC from the repeater and not the router. The repeater basicly merges the SSID and so the computers naturally connect to the SSID not the MAC. This is causing conflict for me cause every computer is trying to connect to the wrong MAC. Any Ideas?