P5B Deluxe / WiFi , eSATA problem

dnoiz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Hi,

I'm trying to get an external eSATA (Lacie d2) HD working in Windows XP. I have set the JMicron controller to AHCI in BIOS. Besides the eSATA HD I have nothing else connected on the JMicron.
On the ICH8R controller I have setup RAID and 2 ODD's.

The eSATA HD is recongized in Windows as a SCSI device, is this normal ?
I can't seem to initialize the HD and thus can't use it.

Anyone an idea what to do here ?

Here a shot from the device manager,

jmicronib4.jpg

Thanks.

First of all if you haven't already, download the latest drivers from JMicron:

JMicron Driver Page

Install the drivers.

Now, when set to AHCI in the BIOS, the JMicron controller will split up into two controllers: one under SCSI and RAID Controllers, and one under IDE ATAPI Controllers.

I can see from your posted pic that your IDE controller is not properly installed because it is showing up under SCSI and has a yellow "!" and possibly your RAID controller is not installed correctly either. After the proper drivers are installed, this should be fixed. If not, you may need to manually "Update Driver" to get everything installed correctly. I can walk you through that bit if you need it.

It should look like this when both are installed correctly:

8151781_1024.ts1170168018000.jpg

Once you have the proper drivers installed and controllers set up correctly, try your eSATA and see if it works. If it doesn't, post back and we will continue troubleshooting.

dnoiz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Thanks. I'll will try what you mentioned later today when I'm back home from work. I'll keep you updated.

Maybe you can explain a bit more in detail about the "Update Driver" part already. From what I know, my drivers are up to date, I'll check again just to be sure.

R.

dnoiz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
First of all if you haven't already, download the latest drivers from JMicron:

JMicron Driver Page

Install the drivers.

Now, when set to AHCI in the BIOS, the JMicron controller will split up into two controllers: one under SCSI and RAID Controllers, and one under IDE ATAPI Controllers.

I can see from your posted pic that your IDE controller is not properly installed because it is showing up under SCSI and has a yellow "!" and possibly your RAID controller is not installed correctly either. After the proper drivers are installed, this should be fixed. If not, you may need to manually "Update Driver" to get everything installed correctly. I can walk you through that bit if you need it.

It should look like this when both are installed correctly:

<snipped>

Once you have the proper drivers installed and controllers set up correctly, try your eSATA and see if it works. If it doesn't, post back and we will continue troubleshooting.

Hi,

I uninstalled all related JMicron parts in the Device Manager, installed the driver again manually and rebooted. Things are as expected now and everything is working OK.

Before I made this change I noted that I could initialize my external HD, that was my error. So the ACHI part was working, it was the PCIE IDE part that was not correctly configured.

I have used the driverpacks the install the drivers during windows installation (slipstreamed). So the pack is not working correctly for this driver, I informed the creators of this problem.

Thanks for your information and screenshot, now I know things are as expected.

R.