AMD's desktop market share hits 29.1%

Moonskin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
You will find the news here link.

AMD gained market share in the desktop and mobile sectors(do I smell Dell here ? :twisted: ) but lost market share in their most lucrative sector , the server sector , which is not good news for AMD because this was the sector in witch AMD worked so much to convince those big corporation that they are a true alternative to Intel.

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Thats just due to low end Dell crap.

In the mid and high end desktop and server space AMD is getting anally raped .... without lube.

AMD had better hope they can do a better job with Barcelona than they have done with 65 nm.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
8O That's about 30%, if AMD can capture 33% they would be holding 1/3's of the CPU market. And they would soon also capture 33% of the profit's from this market segment allowing them to Research & Develop newer and better technology as fast as Intel is allowed to get things done but at 1/3's the momentum.

Moonskin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
I totally agree with you ...
Their first big problem is the delayed ramping of their 65 nm production...
Their second one is the need for a new, revamped core that can take Core 2 Duo head on…
The first one might be almost solved but the second one is leaving a big black hole in AMD line until hopefully late Q2, early Q3. If they screw this one even by a low margin, they will have major pb because the momentum they still have for now will vanish somewhere between Q1 and Q2 if not sooner.

Moonskin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
8O That's about 30%, if AMD can capture 33% they would be holding 1/3's of the CPU market. And they would soon also capture 33% of the profit's from this market segment allowing them to Research & Develop newer and better technology as fast as Intel is allowed to get things done but at 1/3's the momentum.

There is a big difference between having 30% of the desktop market and having an overall market share of 30%.

Their overall market share is almost 26% but not quit yet. Another factor is that the most lucrative markets are the notebooks and server markets and not the desktop market where margins are pretty low. And by coincidence (or not) those two are exactly the same markets where Intel has a big lead. So I would’n bet a lot of money on AMD taking 33% of the revenues (maybe 33% from the desktop but even that is not certain).

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Let us see Where AMD takes us with K8L and the R600 Chipsets/GPU and GPU+CPU Laptop combinations based on the new arcs. The Fusion maybe just an integration of the K8L Or the K10+R600 based chips??

Moonskin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Let us see Where AMD takes us with K8L and the R600 Chipsets/GPU and GPU+CPU Laptop combinations based on the new arcs. The Fusion maybe just an integration of the K8L Or the K10+R600 based chips??

The only pb is that there's not gonna be a K8L for laptops very soon (not in 2007 anyway).
From what I've read , K8L is only for desktop and servers ... I don't now what AMD is planning on the mobile front for 2007, but I don't think it's a new core. Pb just a die shrink for Turion X2 (65 nm) that will bring improved energy efficiency compared cu current Turion X2 and much greater clockspeeds(remerber they are way back when compared to Intel's Core Duo and Core 2 Duo ... 2Ghz vs 2,33Ghz not to mention the amount of cache 1Mb vs 2 for Core Duo, 4 Mb for C2D).

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
This is why I'm not as concerned about AMD's "abandonment" of their enthusiast base. I agree with Baron. AMD needs to succeed and if they believe this is the way to do it so be it. Intel will of course take advantage of this but since they're delivering excellent products the users aren't really losing out. AMD fans can still build great PCs with Opteron/X2. And their new, post merger chipsets are only now starting to become available. Give them time.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You will find the news here link.

AMD gained market share in the desktop and mobile sectors(do I smell Dell here ? :twisted: ) but lost market share in their most lucrative sector , the server sector , which is not good news for AMD because this was the sector in witch AMD worked so much to convince those big corporation that they are a true alternative to Intel.

They did pretty well last year.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I still don't understand how AMD has abandoned the enthusiasts. What are they supposed to do? Should they rush an unfinished product to market that marks the company as one that does so? Should they ramp clock speeds and power consumption higher than they already have even though it's not possible? Was it Intel who abandoned it's enthusiats base with netburst? I don't see any of this as being true or possible. Why should AMD have released 65nm to enthusiasts first when they would have been disappointed due to the lower max OC and lower clock for clock performance? Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks
wes

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I still don't understand how AMD has abandoned the enthusiasts. What are they supposed to do? Should they rush an unfinished product to market that marks the company as one that does so? Should they ramp clock speeds and power consumption higher than they already have even though it's not possible? Was it Intel who abandoned it's enthusiats base with netburst? I don't see any of this as being true or possible. Why should AMD have released 65nm to enthusiasts first when they would have been disappointed due to the lower max OC and lower clock for clock performance? Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks
wes

chalk it up to alot people not knowing anything about the computers from a business standpoint.

Moonskin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007

Thanks
wes

AMD has not abandoned the enthusiasts; their only pb is that for the time being they don't have high end solution for desktops and servers (a new arhiteture it's not created over the night u know :D ) and decided to cut their losses using the price to hold on the ground they claimed from Intel in the last 3 years, until their new core will arrive. U cannot expect them to have the edge always in the same way u cannot expect Intel to be behind forever. I don’t think AMD underestimated Intel … but they had nothing else they could do before the natural cycle kicked in (I’m referring to the cycle of designing and manufacturing new cores), it’s true that Intel was very fast to produce a superb architecture but you have to see things in the perspective … AMD doesn’t have the resources that Intel possess and they have to make the most of what they have (in this case milking the K8 architecture way past it’s time) … I expect that in the future , as AMD will have more money available , AMD will accelerate the development and design phase and even the production trasition process.

romans11

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006

Not to be too A-R, but if AMD has 1/3 and Intel has the rest (2/3), AMD would have 1/2 the momentum not 1/3 (assuming that market share is directly proportional to momentum.

But I think you have a point in terms of momentum. The desktop market does not have the highest margins, but it does help get your name out there. Personally I feel that AMD is losing out on marketing oppurtunities in the notebook market, which is more lucrative, by branding Turion as the name rather than AMD's name taking center stage. Let's face it, most people do not log on to TG everyday to catch up on news or to check CPU pricing charts. The average consumers buys what is presented to them and will often try to replace it with something similar the next time if there options appear to be about the same. So if Joe Schmo buys a low end desktop now that is AMD, he may very well go back next year and get his low end notebook and look around Best Buy or Circuit City for the box that has the same AMD symbol that his desktop has.
As for the service market, most IT purchases are not made but the average consumer, so there it has less to do with name brand and more to do with hard numbers both performance and price. If AMD wants to get more share there and continue to increase that revenue stream, they simply MUST increase the performance /platformance whatever you want to call it, because the latest intel offerings in the entry server market are very good.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Thats just due to low end Dell crap.

In the mid and high end desktop and server space AMD is getting anally raped .... without lube.

AMD had better hope they can do a better job with Barcelona than they have done with 65 nm.
Right, but if we talk about share, it makes little sense if AMD gained it by selling groundbreaking CPUs or bananas. They're selling a lot of good single cores and lower end dual cores (X2 3600+,X2 3800+) and on the global market, considering all kinds of users, dualcore is not even mainstream yet, so I perfectly understand this situation.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I have little doubt that Barcelona will perform extremely well in the server space. It will bring AMD back. Whatever Penryn derivative that finds its way to servers had better be good.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
The only pb is that there's not gonna be a K8L for laptops very soon (not in 2007 anyway).
From what I read there are 2 dual core k8l versions that will be out after the desktop/server chips(kuma, and rana)

and the laptop version I believe will be from 'rana', which is 35w, and NO level 3 cache.... Unless they can cool down a kuma to 35w, and keep the level 3 cache....

a k8l laptop with ht3.0 might destroy penryn laptop(800Mhz bus).... everyone is debating penryn verse k8l with desktop 1333bus, but they are forgetting about laptops....

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006

Fusion will integrate R700 cores and thus will be DX10.1 compatible IMO.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
What is with Those tools at AMD with the no advertising crud?

This is extreme stuborness I think.... They are trying to prove some kind of bizzare point that they can someday become the leader, through great products, and not by hipnotizing people with advertisements(or by making illegal backroom deals)....

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I think Microsoft's promotion of AMD and AMD Live along side Vista, will have pretty significant impact on sales also.

Nothing like mommy(MS)and daddy(IBM) helping junior out of a jam :wink: What is with Those tools at AMD with the no advertising crud?
And sanders bieng a sales man for crying out loud.I realize they dont have volume for that kind of biz model ,but there are other foundries in the world and fabs that can boost production.hell they are using a 3rd party fab anyway.

Surely you never read that through before you posted. For starters, your premise is a condradiction to itself. How does advertising along side 2 of the most recognised brand names in the world show a lack of "advertising crud"? That statement alone is bassackwards. Further, are you suggesting that MS and IBM are providing advertisement and sharing engineering intelectual properties out of the goodness of their heart? I don't think it's a stretch to say that all 3 companies have a clearer vision that what you are implying.
What I do think is the reason for MS' support for AMD is the very fact that while Vista was in development, Intel had nothing worthwile for MS to research and develp along side of, and optimise for except netburst. I don't think that needs any further explanation. It is also safe to say that 64 bit Vista must be optimised for AMD processors as they have had compatible processors for almost 4 years now, while Intel is still lacking in 64 bit features.