Failed to open the group policy object

Hi,

I have a domain controller (W2K) with active diretory and SP4 installed on
it. I had configured certain domain controller group policies.

Recenly I installed microsoft exchange server 2000 with service pack 3 on
the same domain controller. After doing so I am not able to get access to
the domain controller security policies and not even to the domain security
policies.

While I try to open it, it says " Failed to open the group policy object.
You may not have appropriate rights." though I login as administrator
privilage.
Need help on this

Regards and Thanks
Vikrant
8 answers Last reply
More about failed open group policy object

    Hi Vikrant,

    Pls take a look at this.

    Group Policy Error Message When Appropriate Sysvol Contents Are Missing
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253268

    You may also use the tool gpotool for troubleshooting.

    br,
    Denis

    "Vikrant" <vikrant_nath@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a domain controller (W2K) with active diretory and SP4 installed on
    > it. I had configured certain domain controller group policies.
    >
    > Recenly I installed microsoft exchange server 2000 with service pack 3 on
    > the same domain controller. After doing so I am not able to get access to
    > the domain controller security policies and not even to the domain
    security
    > policies.
    >
    > While I try to open it, it says " Failed to open the group policy object.
    > You may not have appropriate rights." though I login as administrator
    > privilage.
    > Need help on this
    >
    > Regards and Thanks
    > Vikrant

    Hi Denis,

    Thanks for your msg. But it didnot work. I do have all the GPID objects in
    the sysvol. but then also keep getting the error msg.

    any more clues?

    "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    message news:ehE9jSwdFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Vikrant,
    >
    > Pls take a look at this.
    >
    > Group Policy Error Message When Appropriate Sysvol Contents Are Missing
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253268
    >
    > You may also use the tool gpotool for troubleshooting.
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "Vikrant" <vikrant_nath@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a domain controller (W2K) with active diretory and SP4 installed
    on
    > > it. I had configured certain domain controller group policies.
    > >
    > > Recenly I installed microsoft exchange server 2000 with service pack 3
    on
    > > the same domain controller. After doing so I am not able to get access
    > > the domain controller security policies and not even to the domain
    > security
    > > policies.
    > >
    > > While I try to open it, it says " Failed to open the group policy
    object.
    > > You may not have appropriate rights." though I login as administrator
    > > privilage.
    > > Need help on this
    > >
    > > Regards and Thanks
    > > Vikrant

    Hi Vikrant,

    So are you sure you do not have any policy missing? Are you using Domain
    Admins right? Have you tried the gpotool. It could give you some clue.

    br,
    Denis

    "Vikrant" wrote:
    > Hi Denis,
    >
    > Thanks for your msg. But it didnot work. I do have all the
    > GPID objects in
    > the sysvol. but then also keep getting the error msg.
    >
    > any more clues?
    >
    > "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong"
    > <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    > message news:ehE9jSwdFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > > Hi Vikrant,
    > >
    > > Pls take a look at this.
    > >
    > > Group Policy Error Message When Appropriate Sysvol Contents
    > Are Missing
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253268
    > >
    > > You may also use the tool gpotool for troubleshooting.
    > >
    > > br,
    > > Denis
    > >
    > > "Vikrant" <vikrant_nath@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >  > > Hi,
    >  > >
    >  > > I have a domain controller (W2K) with active
    > diretory and SP4 installed
    > on
    >  > > it. I had configured certain domain controller group
    > policies.
    >  > >
    >  > > Recenly I installed microsoft exchange server 2000
    > with service pack 3
    > on
    >  > > the same domain controller. After doing so I am not
    > able to get access
    >  > > the domain controller security policies and not even
    > to the domain
    > > security
    >  > > policies.
    >  > >
    >  > > While I try to open it, it says " Failed to open the
    > group policy
    > object.
    >  > > You may not have appropriate rights." though I login
    > as administrator
    >  > > privilage.
    >  > > Need help on this
    >  > >
    >  > > Regards and Thanks
    >  > > Vikrant
    >  > >
    >  > >

    have you also checked the subfolders of the GPO-GUIDs as mentioned in
    the article?

    Cheers,

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Failed-open-object-ftopict548412.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1739901

    Dear Denis

    I checked using the gpotool and tried using all the sysntax and everytime
    it sayz OK

    below is the extracted result.

    C:\Program Files\Resource Kit>gpotool /checkacl
    Validating DCs...
    Available DCs:
    universe.moi.gov.om
    Mercury.moi.gov.om
    Searching for policies...
    Found 7 policies
    Policy {1AE5773F-8D7D-462D-9B2A-C7E95B4C397E}
    Policy OK
    Policy {1DC68E00-CA93-42A5-BBB4-82F9DA315325}
    Policy OK
    Policy {2FA12CFE-105D-4C18-AFEB-64654BDF84DB}
    Policy OK
    Policy {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
    Policy OK
    Policy {60D50FE7-F875-407D-A723-475D1C1F7CB5}
    Policy OK
    Policy {6AC1786C-016F-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
    Policy OK
    Policy {7C36E57C-75DB-467E-9619-3EAD8E2FECB0}
    Policy OK

    Policies OK

    But still I am not able to connect to the domain gpo.
    It is really behaving weired.
    I tried installing the same in another server (test lab) and there also it
    is the same, not able to open the domain gpo.
    I am sure it need some major attention.

    Pls help.
    Regards
    Vikrant

    "Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "Vikrant" wrote:
    > > Hi Denis,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your msg. But it didnot work. I do have all the
    > > GPID objects in
    > > the sysvol. but then also keep getting the error msg.
    > >
    > > any more clues?
    > >
    > > "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong"
    > > <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    > > message news:ehE9jSwdFHA.1600@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > > > Hi Vikrant,
    > > >
    > > > Pls take a look at this.
    > > >
    > > > Group Policy Error Message When Appropriate Sysvol Contents
    > > Are Missing
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253268
    > > >
    > > > You may also use the tool gpotool for troubleshooting.
    > > >
    > > > br,
    > > > Denis
    > > >
    > > > "Vikrant" <vikrant_nath@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >  > > Hi,
    > >  > >
    > >  > > I have a domain controller (W2K) with active
    > > diretory and SP4 installed
    > > on
    > >  > > it. I had configured certain domain controller group
    > > policies.
    > >  > >
    > >  > > Recenly I installed microsoft exchange server 2000
    > > with service pack 3
    > > on
    > >  > > the same domain controller. After doing so I am not
    > > able to get access
    > >  > > the domain controller security policies and not even
    > > to the domain
    > > > security
    > >  > > policies.
    > >  > >
    > >  > > While I try to open it, it says " Failed to open the
    > > group policy
    > > object.
    > >  > > You may not have appropriate rights." though I login
    > > as administrator
    > >  > > privilage.
    > >  > > Need help on this
    > >  > >
    > >  > > Regards and Thanks
    > >  > > Vikrant
    > >  > >
    > >  > >
    > > >

    > have you also checked the subfolders of the GPO-GUIDs as mentioned in
    > the article?
    >
    > Cheers,

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Failed-open-object-ftopict548412.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1739901
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi Vikrant,

    Did the switch /verbose give you any clue?

> [...]
    > > > as administrator
    > > >  > > privilage.
    > > >  > > Need help on this
    > > >  > >
    > > >  > > Regards and Thanks
    > > >  > > Vikrant
    > > >  > >
    > > >  > >
    > > > >

    > > have you also checked the subfolders of the GPO-GUIDs as mentioned in
    > > the article?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > request
    > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    > > Topic URL:

    http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Failed-open-object-ftopict548412.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi Denis,

    No actually!! That switch didnot give me any clues. but someway I corrected
    the problem. connected to one of the additional DC. made another policy from
    new. and everything started working. Only I am not been able to see my old
    policies. but they are still active and working fine.
    I also had problems with the user password options (users were denied to
    login to the DC after the option of changing the password during the first
    logon was selected). that also got corrected because of the GPO.
    Thanks for uor help and efforts

    Regards
    Vikrant

    "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    message news:#BL41xueFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Vikrant,
    >
    > Did the switch /verbose give you any clue?
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "Vikrant" <vikrant_nath(remove this part)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Dear Denis
    > >
    > > I checked using the gpotool and tried using all the sysntax and
    everytime
    > > it sayz OK
    > >
    > > below is the extracted result.
    > >
    > > C:\Program Files\Resource Kit>gpotool /checkacl
    > > Validating DCs...
    > > Available DCs:
    > > universe.moi.gov.om
    > > Mercury.moi.gov.om
    > > Searching for policies...
    > > Found 7 policies
    > > Policy {1AE5773F-8D7D-462D-9B2A-C7E95B4C397E}
    > > Policy OK
    > > Policy {1DC68E00-CA93-42A5-BBB4-82F9DA315325}
    > > Policy OK
    > > Policy {2FA12CFE-105D-4C18-AFEB-64654BDF84DB}
    > > Policy OK
    > > Policy {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
    > > Policy OK
    > > Policy {60D50FE7-F875-407D-A723-475D1C1F7CB5}
    > > Policy OK
    > > Policy {6AC1786C-016F-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
    > > Policy OK
    > > Policy {7C36E57C-75DB-467E-9619-3EAD8E2FECB0}
    > > Policy OK
    > >
    > > Policies OK
    > >
    > > But still I am not able to connect to the domain gpo.
    > > It is really behaving weired.
    > > I tried installing the same in another server (test lab) and there also
    it
    > > is the same, not able to open the domain gpo.
    > > I am sure it need some major attention.
    > >
    > > Pls help.
    > > Regards
    > > Vikrant
    > >
    > > "Jorge_de_Almeida_Pinto" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
    > message

    > > > have you also checked the subfolders of the GPO-GUIDs as mentioned in
    > > > the article?
    > > >
    > > > Cheers,
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > > request
    > > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    > > > Topic URL:

    http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Failed-open-object-ftopict548412.html
    > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1739901

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    That almost sounds like a DNS/ replication issue to the other DC

> [...]
    >> > ============================================================
    >> > Policy {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
    >> > Policy OK
    >> > ============================================================
    >> > Policy {60D50FE7-F875-407D-A723-475D1C1F7CB5}
    >> > Policy OK
    >> > ============================================================
    >> > Policy {6AC1786C-016F-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}
    >> > Policy OK
    >> > Policy {7C36E57C-75DB-467E-9619-3EAD8E2FECB0}
    >> > Policy OK
    >> >
    >> > Policies OK
    >> >
    >> > But still I am not able to connect to the domain gpo.
    >> > It is really behaving weired.
    >> > I tried installing the same in another server (test lab) and there also
    > it
    >> > is the same, not able to open the domain gpo.

Policy Domain Controller Windows