New built Computer acting up

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Hi I came on these forums a couple months ago and got quite a bit of help to build my first computer. Had some problems with the temp of the cpu at first but now its ok. 40c to 50c all the time now I think

Anyways I'm playing this game and there are a lot of times where I'm in an area and the game just freezes up and then my comp restarts. I think the game is fairly new and some of the areas might still be bugged (other people have same problem with game freezing, but not comp restarting), but I don't know if it would be causing my comp to restart after freezing.

I don't know if these bugs are causing some kind of problem with my video card so my whole comp reboots when game freezes up.

I think it has something to do with my PSU or Video Card, cause this never happens outside of playing that game. I logged my cpu temps and they all looked normal before the restart of the comp.

I have an intel E6600 with the 8800 GTS video card. 2 gigs of ram

PSU Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU ATX12V 600 W Power Supply - Retail

I know the 8800 use a lot of power. But I did a psu check to see how many watts i need and I think it was only in the 500s if I remember right.

If anyone could shed light on this problem it would help a lot. If there are any programs that can help me find out how much power my psu is using while my comp is running, I could use that. Thanks.

akhilles

Splendid
Unfortunately, the other Thermaltake models aren't as good as Toughpower.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Yours have 600w & 38a max combined. You have to look at the amperage in addition to wattage requirements. bfg 8800gts needs:

A 400W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 26A or more*

It should work fine.

Does it happen when playing other games?

Can you list the specs? Use this program to get them.

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
this is the spec i think

Mainboard : Intel DP965LT
Chipset : Intel P965
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2400 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : MAD DOG MD-16X3DVD9-8X
Monitor Type : BenQ FP91G+ - 19 inchs
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

CPU Core : 1.34 V
Processor Temperature (Core 1) : 45 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 2) : 46 °C

Monitoring Chip GPU : nVidia Driver
GPU Temperature : 66 °C
GPU Fan : 100%

Hard Disk Temperature WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 : 34 °C

Maybe video card is too hot at 66 C?

I don't play any other games, and i can play this one for hours and it not happen. I think it has something to do with the new areas in the game. Its an online mmorpg and it just released and expansion and freezes up in some of the new areas in it. The video freezes and then screen goes black and the computer restarts.

I haven't had any trouble with it in past couple days it was just it happened a couple times a week or two ago and then day I posted this it happened like 5 times in a row in this one area but once i got out of it, it was fine.

I was thinking maybe the new areas were either bugged and maybe causing my video card to use more power than my psu could give it and restarting but if my psu is fine then I don't know what it is. Games shouldn't make your entire comp restart if it freezes up I think.

edit I ran game with this new program running and minimized the game and looked at video card temp and its 71. Not sure whats too hot for video card but that sounds close. But fan is at 100 percent and i have 2 case fans so I don't know how I would keep it any cooler.

akhilles

Splendid
You have to try other games or else you won't know what the problem may be.

disable restart when os crash:
start, control..., system, adv, settings in startup..., uncheck "auto... restart", ok, ok

It'll blue screen instead. Note the problem program *.xxx & the error code 0x00000xxxxxxxxx

Again, I strongly suggest you try other 3d games. If other games don't cause this problem, your game is the problem. It could be bugs.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Yeah this game definitely has bugs, I never had problems with it before expansion. I just didn't think it could make your computer restart on its own. Is it possible? People have had some problems as me the game freezing just not computer restarting.

After I restart the computer after disabling everything what do I to look for the problem?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Another thing to think of time of day it happens. Busy times are 6-10 EST, you might need to download the infomation and their server is max'ed out. Does it happen in the same new area every time or more the first time in?

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
It only happened a couple times when it first came out, but a week or two later when I went in this new area it happened 5 to 7 times in a row till I was able to get out of there. Thats when I posted. It hasn't happened since.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
What I'm trying to find out is, Is it possible for a game to bug and crash and restart your computer?

If it is possible then I think I'm ok, if its not possible then I need to figure out whats potentially wrong with my computer. Cause as games get better graphics and use more of my cpu its possible I'll see this happening more often in future.