a few more questions

Last response: in Video Games
December 9, 2004 4:25:38 PM

First off, I want to say thanks to everyone for being so patient and
responsive to all my questions. Since I just started SoU with a new
character class, a find that tons of questions suddenly pop up out of
nowhere. Here are a few more, if anyone wants to tackle them. I'm sure
they are actually easy: :)

1. What does the armor check penalty affect in the game? I couldn't find
any mention of it in the manual, so I checked my PHB, but I didn't want
to assume that it works the same in the game as it does in PnP.

2. When using Rapid Shot, can you select this feat to use during the
game, and then leave it 'on' all the time? Or is there a certain number
of uses per day? Or does it become inactive when combat is over? I'm
just trying to decide which feat to choose next, and the game recommends
this one. (I have Imp. Initiative, Point Blank Shot, and WF Longbow).

3. Is there any way to create a character at any level you want? The
reason I ask is because I know for HotU, you have to be at least 12 to
start, but if you import a character lower than 12, you have to train up
to 15. I thought it might be good to start with a 12-13 character just
to make the game a little more challenging, but I don't have any
characters in this range. Is it possible to build a character exactly
how you want, then import it to a module?

Thanks again!

More about : questions

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 1:54:05 AM

#2. Rapid Shot
Pretty good feat. You have to turn it on each time you use it. Well worth a
quick slot. If you turn it on while your character is running into battle,
it will be on when he comes to a stop. It will turn off automatically as
soon as there are no enemies in sight or if you move your character during a
battle (not always a good thing).

Mox
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 7:27:39 AM

John Salerno wrote:
> 1. What does the armor check penalty affect in the game? I couldn't find
> any mention of it in the manual, so I checked my PHB, but I didn't want
> to assume that it works the same in the game as it does in PnP.

Armor check penalty is applied to all Dexterity-based skills, except
Open Locks. So your Hide, Move Silently, Tumble, etc. skills will be
penalized the armor check penalty. Also on armor are two other
"penalties": maximum DEX bonus and spell failure chance. Maximum DEX
bonus is the maximum amount of your DEX bonus you can apply to armor
class while wearing the armor. It doesn't affect any other DEX-based
checks. Spell failure is the chance an arcane spell will fail if cast
while wearing the armor. It doesn't apply to divine spells (cleric,
druid, paladin and ranger spells).

Note that shields also have an armor check penalty and spell failure
chance (but not a max DEX bonus).

> 3. Is there any way to create a character at any level you want?

Use a trainer module from NWVault. You can level your character to any
level you wish, buy equipment, change your alignment. Some of the newer
ones even allow you to customize your armor by changing its color. Etc.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>1. What does the armor check penalty affect in the game? I couldn't find
>>any mention of it in the manual, so I checked my PHB, but I didn't want
>>to assume that it works the same in the game as it does in PnP.
>

> Armor check penalty is applied to all Dexterity-based skills, except
> Open Locks.

Ah, that I didn't know. In the PHB it lists about six or seven skills it
affects, but it doesn't say that (unless maybe those are all the DEX
skills). Turns out the penalty doesn't really affect me at all.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:36:39 PM

> 1. What does the armor check penalty affect in the game? I couldn't find
> any mention of it in the manual, so I checked my PHB, but I didn't want
> to assume that it works the same in the game as it does in PnP.

Mainly spell casting and skills that require dexterity, like tumble and
hide. The penalty on the skills are reflected in your character sheet...
open it with inventory, and put on/remove armor to see the difference.

> 2. When using Rapid Shot, can you select this feat to use during the
> game, and then leave it 'on' all the time? Or is there a certain number
> of uses per day? Or does it become inactive when combat is over? I'm
> just trying to decide which feat to choose next, and the game recommends
> this one. (I have Imp. Initiative, Point Blank Shot, and WF Longbow).

It works like Power Attack... you manually select it each time you start
combat, and it automatically ends with combat.

> 3. Is there any way to create a character at any level you want? The
> reason I ask is because I know for HotU, you have to be at least 12 to
> start, but if you import a character lower than 12, you have to train up
> to 15. I thought it might be good to start with a 12-13 character just
> to make the game a little more challenging, but I don't have any
> characters in this range. Is it possible to build a character exactly
> how you want, then import it to a module?

You can use the console command (IIRC dm_giveXP), and there're "trainer"
modules available - they let you level up to any level you want. You won't
have equipment matching your level though, unless you console them in.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:36:40 PM

KC Wong wrote:

> You can use the console command (IIRC dm_giveXP), and there're "trainer"
> modules available - they let you level up to any level you want. You won't
> have equipment matching your level though, unless you console them in.

Thanks for all the answers!
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 12:30:52 AM

> 3. Is there any way to create a character at any level you want? The
> reason I ask is because I know for HotU, you have to be at least 12 to
> start, but if you import a character lower than 12, you have to train up
> to 15. I thought it might be good to start with a 12-13 character just
> to make the game a little more challenging, but I don't have any
> characters in this range. Is it possible to build a character exactly
> how you want, then import it to a module?

Yes. The best way to do this (IMO) is to download one of the "Halls of
Advanced Training" player created modules. Start a new game and create
the 1st level character you want to start as.

Once created the module allows you to level up (to epic levels if the
HotU version), get a free loan and go shopping (for regular and
fancy/magic equipment). Side halls offer venues for combat training and
such. Then just save THAT character and start the module you want,
selecting that pre-made character.

Once a module or "chapter" is started you cannot use this method to
modify them until the end of that module or chapter.

A note of caution ... do NOT go overboard.

You can feel like a kid in a candy shop but all your choices will affect
game play. The game notes character levels and GP value of equipment and
modifies the challenge accordingly. If you try to play the original NwN
campaign with a level 25 character with +5 everything ... it will be
boring and you'll get no XP.

FWIW.

- Sheldon
!