Force users to store documents on server rather than local..

Hi,

Is there any way through policies to force users to store documents
(word,excel, etc) on a mapped drive on the server rather than their local
drives ?

Ray
1 answer Last reply
More about force users store documents server local

    Hi Ray,

    If you are talking about My Documents, you can redirect it to server.

    If you are talking about drive letters, you can try the following policy.
    But note there is no single method to guarantee 100%. So do it to suit your
    environment.

    User Config\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows
    Explorer\Hide these specified drives in My Computer

    "Removes the icons representing selected hard drives from My Computer and
    Windows Explorer. Also, the drive letters representing the selected drives
    do not appear in the standard Open dialog box. To use this setting, select
    a drive or combination of drives in the drop-down list. To display all
    drives, disable this setting or select the Do not restrict drives option in
    the drop-down list. Note: This setting removes the drive icons. Users can
    still gain access to drive contents by using other methods, such as by
    typing the path to a directory on the drive in the Map Network Drive dialog
    box, in the Run dialog box, or in a command window. Also, this setting does
    not prevent users from using programs to access these drives or their
    contents. And, it does not prevent users from using the Disk Management
    snap-in to view and change drive characteristics. Also, see the Prevent
    access to drives from My Computer setting. Note: It is a requirement for
    third-party applications with Windows 2000 or later certification to adhere
    to this setting."

    br,
    Denis

    "Ray Brown" <RayBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any way through policies to force users to store documents
    > (word,excel, etc) on a mapped drive on the server rather than their local
    > drives ?
    >
    > Ray

Policy Microsoft Servers Windows