Mapping drives with batch file

Hi all

I have 35 Win2k SP4 clients, 1x Win2k server and 2x Win2003 servers. I've
edited GPs before via ADUC (properties of OU), but never wrote one from
scratch, which is what I am having to do now.

I created a 'test' ou with no inheritence, a test user in said OU, and wrote
a batch file containg the simple line 'net use p: \\yaddayadda'. Mapped
drives are a must here, as its so disorganized with no standard. But when I
log in, nothing. I've stumbled at the first step. What am I missing? Ive
read absolute masses about GPs, but its all too much, I just need to know how
to do the basics like getting some common drives mapped.

Any help would be really appreciated

-------
Tech Admin
West Midlands, England
Stressed and Tired!
--------

Just a quick question -- the net use command would be "net use p:
\\servername\sharename" -- are you just using the server name?
Brian

"Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I have 35 Win2k SP4 clients, 1x Win2k server and 2x Win2003 servers. I've
> edited GPs before via ADUC (properties of OU), but never wrote one from
> scratch, which is what I am having to do now.
>
> I created a 'test' ou with no inheritence, a test user in said OU, and
wrote
> a batch file containg the simple line 'net use p: \\yaddayadda'. Mapped
> drives are a must here, as its so disorganized with no standard. But when
> log in, nothing. I've stumbled at the first step. What am I missing?
Ive
> read absolute masses about GPs, but its all too much, I just need to know
how
> to do the basics like getting some common drives mapped.
>
> Any help would be really appreciated
>
> -------
> Tech Admin
> West Midlands, England
> Stressed and Tired!
> --------

Hi Brian

no I'm pointing toward the share I want mapped to. I always test in a cli
before trying on the login script so that I know that my syntax is correct or
not.

"Brian K. Sheperd" wrote:

> Just a quick question -- the net use command would be "net use p:
> \\servername\sharename" -- are you just using the server name?
> Brian
>

> "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have 35 Win2k SP4 clients, 1x Win2k server and 2x Win2003 servers. I've
> > edited GPs before via ADUC (properties of OU), but never wrote one from
> > scratch, which is what I am having to do now.
> >
> > I created a 'test' ou with no inheritence, a test user in said OU, and
> wrote
> > a batch file containg the simple line 'net use p: \\yaddayadda'. Mapped
> > drives are a must here, as its so disorganized with no standard. But when
> > log in, nothing. I've stumbled at the first step. What am I missing?
> Ive
> > read absolute masses about GPs, but its all too much, I just need to know
> how
> > to do the basics like getting some common drives mapped.
> >
> > Any help would be really appreciated
> >
> > -------
> > Tech Admin
> > West Midlands, England
> > Stressed and Tired!
> > --------

Chris,
If I go to a dos prompt and type net use /?, I get the following syntax:
NET USE [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
Did you try it with the servername (or IP address) and a share name?

If you go to a dos prompt and try your command, does it work? If it does
work, then we will have to look at the GP or OU.

> Hi Brian
>
> no I'm pointing toward the share I want mapped to. I always test in a cli
> before trying on the login script so that I know that my syntax is correct
or
> not.
>
> "Brian K. Sheperd" wrote:
>
> > Just a quick question -- the net use command would be "net use p:
> > \\servername\sharename" -- are you just using the server name?
> > Brian
> >

> > "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I have 35 Win2k SP4 clients, 1x Win2k server and 2x Win2003 servers.
I've
> > > edited GPs before via ADUC (properties of OU), but never wrote one
from
> > > scratch, which is what I am having to do now.
> > >
> > > I created a 'test' ou with no inheritence, a test user in said OU, and
> > wrote
> > > a batch file containg the simple line 'net use p: \\yaddayadda'.
Mapped
> > > drives are a must here, as its so disorganized with no standard. But
when
> > > log in, nothing. I've stumbled at the first step. What am I missing?
> > Ive
> > > read absolute masses about GPs, but its all too much, I just need to
know
> > how
> > > to do the basics like getting some common drives mapped.
> > >
> > > Any help would be really appreciated
> > >
> > > -------
> > > Tech Admin
> > > West Midlands, England
> > > Stressed and Tired!
> > > --------

I've tried it at a command prompt and using servername or ip address with
relevant share it maps fine. The gp for that ou has nothing else specified,
it is completely fresh. Inheritence is blocked, so I can't see how the
default domain policy would affect anything, and there are no policies
inbetween.

"Brian K. Sheperd" wrote:

> Chris,
> If I go to a dos prompt and type net use /?, I get the following syntax:
> NET USE [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
> Did you try it with the servername (or IP address) and a share name?
>
> If you go to a dos prompt and try your command, does it work? If it does
> work, then we will have to look at the GP or OU.
> Brian
>

> "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Brian
> >
> > no I'm pointing toward the share I want mapped to. I always test in a cli
> > before trying on the login script so that I know that my syntax is correct
> or
> > not.
> >
> > "Brian K. Sheperd" wrote:
> >
> > > Just a quick question -- the net use command would be "net use p:
> > > \\servername\sharename" -- are you just using the server name?
> > > Brian
> > >

> > > "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I've
> from

> > > wrote
> Mapped
> when
> > > Ive
> know
> > > how

If it works manually, then you probably need to check the GP end of things.
Try running gpresults on the test workstation to see if it getting any group
policies. Also check your workstation's dns and make sure that the server
is the primary DNS entry.

> I've tried it at a command prompt and using servername or ip address with
> relevant share it maps fine. The gp for that ou has nothing else
specified,
> it is completely fresh. Inheritence is blocked, so I can't see how the
> default domain policy would affect anything, and there are no policies
> inbetween.
>

> "Brian K. Sheperd" wrote:
>
> > Chris,
> > If I go to a dos prompt and type net use /?, I get the following syntax:
> > NET USE [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password |
*]]
> > Did you try it with the servername (or IP address) and a share name?
> >
> > If you go to a dos prompt and try your command, does it work? If it
does
> > work, then we will have to look at the GP or OU.
> > Brian
> >

> > "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Brian
> > >
> > > no I'm pointing toward the share I want mapped to. I always test in a
cli
> > > before trying on the login script so that I know that my syntax is
correct
> > or
> > > not.

> > I've
> > from

> > Mapped
But
> > when
> > know

hi Brian

I seem to have this working now. I think it's maybe because I browsed to my
batch file as opposed to put it in the script folder in the correct place.

It seems a batch file will do what I want.. but is there any benefit using a
vb script over a batch file other than the obvious (ie there is a lot more I
can set/get it to do) ?

Thanks for your help Brian

"Brian K. Sheperd" wrote:

> If it works manually, then you probably need to check the GP end of things.
> Try running gpresults on the test workstation to see if it getting any group
> policies. Also check your workstation's dns and make sure that the server
> is the primary DNS entry.
> Brian
>

> "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried it at a command prompt and using servername or ip address with
> > relevant share it maps fine. The gp for that ou has nothing else
> specified,
> > it is completely fresh. Inheritence is blocked, so I can't see how the
> > default domain policy would affect anything, and there are no policies
> > inbetween.
> >

> > "Brian K. Sheperd" wrote:
> >
> > > Chris,
> > > If I go to a dos prompt and type net use /?, I get the following syntax:
> > > NET USE [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password |
> *]]
> > > Did you try it with the servername (or IP address) and a share name?
> > >
> > > If you go to a dos prompt and try your command, does it work? If it
> does
> > > work, then we will have to look at the GP or OU.
> > > Brian
> > >

> > > "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> cli
> correct
> > > or

> message

> servers.
> > > I've
> > > from

> and
> > > Mapped
> But
> > > when
> missing?
> > > know

As you mentioned, I believe that VBS would just give you more functionality.
For mapping drives, a batch would be fine. There are programs that could be
used to enhance batch files. One that I can think of is called
"ifmember" -- to test if user is a member of a group, then you could branch
to an area in the batch file. I havent used it, but it may be of interest.

Glad to hear that you got it working.