Set monitor power options/screen saver for all users

How do I set the display Power Saving options - specifically, I want to
change the "Turn off the monitor" option from the default of 20 min. to
Never - for all users of a W2K computer, current and future? Also, I want to
set the screen saver the same for all users. TIA!
4 answers Last reply
More about monitor power options screen saver users

    Hi Ron,

    User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display

    Screen Saver
    Screen Saver executable name
    Password protect the screen saver

    br,
    Denis

    "Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam__ron@__ramac__.com> wrote in message
    > How do I set the display Power Saving options - specifically, I want to
    > change the "Turn off the monitor" option from the default of 20 min. to
    > Never - for all users of a W2K computer, current and future? Also, I want
    > set the screen saver the same for all users. TIA!

    theres is no policy for power options setting.
    however, u can do it in the alternative way, by using a batch
    simple deploy this batch to all your machine.

    it will brings up the power options page
    however, this only work in XP
    it you are using it on 2k, u need to remove one of the WshShell.SendKeys
    "^{TAB}"
    line
    just customize it by yourself

    the msdn library have lots of resources about wsf
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/wsMthSendKeys.asp?frame=true

    Script.wsf

    <package>
    <job id="vbs">
    <script language="VBScript">
    set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

    'USE TRADITIONAL THEME
    WshShell.Run "control desk.cpl"
    WScript.Sleep 3500
    WshShell.AppActivate "Display Properties"
    WScript.Sleep 200
    WshShell.SendKeys "^{TAB}"
    WScript.Sleep 200
    WshShell.SendKeys "^{TAB}"
    WScript.Sleep 200
    WshShell.SendKeys "%o"
    WScript.Sleep 200

    </script>
    </job>
    </package>

    "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display
    >
    > Screen Saver
    > Screen Saver executable name
    > Password protect the screen saver
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam__ron@__ramac__.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I set the display Power Saving options - specifically, I want to
    > > change the "Turn off the monitor" option from the default of 20 min. to
    > > Never - for all users of a W2K computer, current and future? Also, I want
    > > set the screen saver the same for all users. TIA!

    Although there is no built in way to set Power Options via GPO, the US EPA
    provides a free tool that can set some of the Power Options.

    See http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_pm_ez_gpo
    or
    http://www.terranovum.com/projects/energystar/ez_gpo.html.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    "Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam__ron@__ramac__.com> wrote in message
    > How do I set the display Power Saving options - specifically, I want to
    > change the "Turn off the monitor" option from the default of 20 min. to
    > Never - for all users of a W2K computer, current and future? Also, I want
    > set the screen saver the same for all users. TIA!

    Here is a vbs script to modify Power settings:

    Option Explicit
    On Error Resume Next

    Dim objNetwork, WSHShell
    Const WindowStyle = 0
    Const WaitOnReturn = True

    Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

    Select Case objNetwork.UserName
    Case "username1", "username2", "username3", "jpervan"
    Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WSHShell.Run "CMD /c powercfg /c ""Test""", WindowStyle, WaitOnReturn
    WSHShell.Run "CMD /c powercfg /x ""Test"" /monitor-timeout-ac 3",
    WindowStyle, WaitOnReturn
    WSHShell.Run "CMD /c powercfg /x ""Test"" /disk-timeout-ac 3",
    WindowStyle, WaitOnReturn
    WSHShell.Run "CMD /c powercfg /setactive ""Test""", WindowStyle,
    WaitOnReturn
    Set WSHShell = Nothing
    End Select
    Set objNetwork = Nothing