starting a service via gpo

Hi,

I'd like to know if there's a way to automatically start a service on a
group of computers via gpo, I see a system services section under computer
configuration...windows settings...security settings but I can't find any
information about how this works,

please help

Thanks

Ilann

Ilann-
The security-related policies for services don't allow you to actually start
it. They let you set the startup type and who can manage the services. I
would suggest a computer startup script for doing the actual starting. Of
course, this requires a machine reboot to run but its probably the easiest
way using policy. All you have to do in your script is:

net start <servicename>

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

"Ilann" <ilann@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know if there's a way to automatically start a service on a
> group of computers via gpo, I see a system services section under computer
> configuration...windows settings...security settings but I can't find any
> information about how this works,
>
> please help
>
> Thanks
>
> Ilann

If I rember correctly, we did set certain services to automatically
start via gpo in our organization. It is in the location you
mentioned. If you set a certain service startup type to "Automatic"
for example, and the computer that is getting the gpo has it currently
set to "Disabled", it will get changed to "Automatic".

I think it turned out that if the computer OS was win2000 the service
did get set to automatic when the policy got applied but the service
didn't actually start until the next reboot. If the OS was XP it got
set to automatic and also got started without a reboot.

Try it, it works!

HTH

"Ilann" <ilann@free.fr> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'd like to know if there's a way to automatically start a service on a
>group of computers via gpo, I see a system services section under computer
>configuration...windows settings...security settings but I can't find any
>information about how this works,
>
>please help
>
>Thanks
>
>Ilann