starting HotU

I was messing around with a character leveling mod, and it mentioned
that at the beginning of HotU, you will lose all your items. Is this
part of the game? I guess that means it isn't worth equiping myself with
all kinds of good stuff before I start that game?

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>I was messing around with a character leveling mod, and it mentioned that
>at the beginning of HotU, you will lose all your items. Is this part of the
>game? I guess that means it isn't worth equiping myself with all kinds of
>good stuff before I start that game?

Spoiler..

You lose everything but your money, but you get some of your items back
later in the game. One strategy would be to sell everything while still in
OC so you would have more money to carry over and then buy everything again.

John Salerno wrote:
> I was messing around with a character leveling mod, and it mentioned
> that at the beginning of HotU, you will lose all your items. Is this
> part of the game? I guess that means it isn't worth equiping myself with
> all kinds of good stuff before I start that game?

No, you lose them (spoiler), but only temporarily.

Although I'd certainly advise against giving yourself more than a
fifteenth-level character could be expected to have.

Kish wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>I was messing around with a character leveling mod, and it mentioned
>>that at the beginning of HotU, you will lose all your items. Is this
>>part of the game? I guess that means it isn't worth equiping myself with
>>all kinds of good stuff before I start that game?
>

> No, you lose them (spoiler), but only temporarily.
>
> Although I'd certainly advise against giving yourself more than a
> fifteenth-level character could be expected to have.

I was just planning to give myself some of the things that my 16th level
character from the OC had (Ring of Regeneration +4, Boots of Speed,
etc.) but I didn't want to import the same character. Or is that stuff a
bit too much?

John Salerno wrote:

> I was just planning to give myself some of the things that my 16th level
> character from the OC had (Ring of Regeneration +4, Boots of Speed,
> etc.) but I didn't want to import the same character. Or is that stuff a
> bit too much?

No, you can get Boots of Speed in SoU, too--and your HotU character is
"meant" to be the character who completed SoU.

Mark Earnest wrote:
> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I was messing around with a character leveling mod, and it mentioned that
>>at the beginning of HotU, you will lose all your items. Is this part of the
>>game? I guess that means it isn't worth equiping myself with all kinds of
>>good stuff before I start that game?
>

> Spoiler..
>

> You lose everything but your money, but you get some of your items back
> later in the game.

Does this mean that the character file you imported into the game will
not have those items if you try to import it into another module, or are
they kept separately?

John Salerno wrote:
> Does this mean that the character file you imported into the game will
> not have those items if you try to import it into another module, or are
> they kept separately?

Note that I am assuming you are playing single-player on your own machine.

Once you start using a character in a module with the 'Select Existing
Character' option when the module begins, as you make progress the
character is only saved to any Saved Games that create. The original
character file is untouched.

Even if you were playing a fan-made module that used the 'Export
Character' scripting function (the OC never does this IIRC), it would
create a second copy of your character file and the original would
remain untouched - the same as if you manually save a character that has
already been saved.
--
My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

everlast wrote:

> Note that I am assuming you are playing single-player on your own machine.
>
> Once you start using a character in a module with the 'Select Existing
> Character' option when the module begins, as you make progress the
> character is only saved to any Saved Games that create. The original
> character file is untouched.
>
> Even if you were playing a fan-made module that used the 'Export
> Character' scripting function (the OC never does this IIRC), it would
> create a second copy of your character file and the original would
> remain untouched - the same as if you manually save a character that has
> already been saved.

Yeah, all of my questions are for the OC and expansions, but I should
make that clear when I ask them. But it's good to know that character
files aren't altered when they are imported.