Sign in with
Your question

Access Point and Router Help

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 16, 2006 11:01:52 PM

Bare with me I’m new to networking.

I have a LINKSYS WRT54GS speedboast wireless router and a LINKSYS WMP54GS card. I have had this setup for a few months. My main computer is hooked up to the router in my room using the built in switch. I have a comp in the garage that has the WMP54GS card and works ok. I just got a Netgear WG302 ProSafe Wireless Access Point that I would like to use and stop using the WRT54GS wireless feature. I can access the Linksys setup by going to 192.168.1.1 no problem and turn off the wireless feature on the Linksys. The new Netgear access point does not come with a setup disc but wants me to change my main computer to a static IP of 192.168.0.210. After I do this it then tells me to enter 192.168.0.228 in my browser and it works. This seems to be a major conflict because then I cant get it to work with my router they have a different IP. So basically I need to know how I can enable the access point to work with my router or switch.

More about : access point router

September 25, 2006 1:48:03 AM

You need to change the IP address of the Netgear AP to something compatible with your current network, like 192.168.1.254. Or you could just leave it as is, since the AP doesn't even technically need an IP address. In other words, if it is really an AP and not a router, then it should work just by plugging it into the network. AP is a layer 2 device and does not care about IP addresses, the only reason it even needs an IP address is so you can configure it. So just configure it the way you want it and then change your IP on your computer back to DHCP.
September 25, 2006 7:57:35 PM

The main problem is that I install just the AP to my nic card on the comp and change my settings in network connections to a static ip of 192.168.0.210 and subnetmask of 255.255.255.0 just like it says. I go to my browser and type 192.168.0.228 and nothing comes up. Now I cant configure the basic install something is messed up with this AP.
Related resources
September 25, 2006 8:39:05 PM

Quote:
I go to my browser and type 192.168.0.228 and nothing comes up. Now I cant configure the basic install something is messed up with this AP.

You just contradicted what you wrote in your first message when you said it worked fine. You might try resetting the AP to defaults.
September 25, 2006 11:05:52 PM

Your syntex may need to be like this "http://IPaddress" depending on how your brower is setup.

Once the initial setup is done, you should be able to connect via IP address without having to do a direct connect.
September 25, 2006 11:09:57 PM

Quote:
I go to my browser and type 192.168.0.228 and nothing comes up. Now I cant configure the basic install something is messed up with this AP.

You just contradicted what you wrote in your first message when you said it worked fine. You might try resetting the AP to defaults.The first post was from a few days ago. It did work ok but now I cant get into the setup screen folowing the instructions from Netgear. They told me to reset the Ap and I did but cant get it to work. Really strange things going on with this AP.
Anonymous
November 6, 2008 12:41:16 PM

Hi and thanks in advance

At the Minute I have a Sweex Router and its what is connect to that is:

1 - Wired computer
2 - Wireless PC & Laptop
1 - Game console
1 - wired VOIP phone

And all works Great

But i have a media Center that allows me a Lan connection in to it to see medi files on the network but i want it wireless( dont want cable all ove the place)

So i got my self an access point to connect the media center too.

So its like at the moment:
(internet)--- > (Router) ---> (PCs etc.)

I would like to it be like this:

(Router) ---> (PCs etc.)
^ DHCP
¦
¦----(AP)---- (Media center)
192.168.1.1 __DHCP

I Need them on the same IP range in order to see the other computers

But im not to sure what mode to use on the acees point
or what way i need to configure the IPs

If any one has any ideas let me know

Thanks in Advance

Dragon Fly