System Restore - Lost Restore Points

February 19, 2005 4:30:10 PM

XP Pro
Turn off System Restore - Unchecked
Disk space usage 12% (for now)
Novice user

On 9th Feb, after a system crash, I had a new 120 gig hard drive fitted
by a computer technician. At the same time he did a clean install of my
OS, XP Pro, onto this drive. I reformatted my old drive, a 40 gig, and
now use this solely for backing up.

Since the 9th Feb I have been gradually installing all my old programs
and on two occasions I noticed that ALL my restore points have
disappeared. Even the "Most Recent Restore Point", is missing.

This has happened on the 14th Feb, and today, the 19th Feb. These two
dates as you can see are at 5 day intervals. Have I missed a setting
somewhere that needs to be turned off or altered, or are these dates
just a coincidence? Any help with this issue would be greatly
appreciated.
Mike
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:28:37 PM

Hi MikeW,

Follow the link below and download "XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs"
utility. Click on the script and it will show the frequency on which
Restore Points are created. It should be set to no more than 24 hours.
This utility will allow you to change the setting. I set my notebook
to create a RP every 18 hours because it is not on all day long. This
way very few RP's are missed.

http://www.billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/WinXP%5FTweaks/

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

MikeW wrote:
> XP Pro
> Turn off System Restore - Unchecked
> Disk space usage 12% (for now)
> Novice user
>
> On 9th Feb, after a system crash, I had a new 120 gig
> hard drive fitted by a computer technician. At the same
> time he did a clean install of my OS, XP Pro, onto this
> drive. I reformatted my old drive, a 40 gig, and now use
> this solely for backing up.
> Since the 9th Feb I have been gradually installing all my
> old programs and on two occasions I noticed that ALL my
> restore points have disappeared. Even the "Most Recent
> Restore Point", is missing.
> This has happened on the 14th Feb, and today, the 19th
> Feb. These two dates as you can see are at 5 day
> intervals. Have I missed a setting somewhere that needs
> to be turned off or altered, or are these dates just a
> coincidence? Any help with this issue would be greatly
> appreciated. Mike
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:43:48 AM

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your response and the link.

I've downloaded and run it, and set it for every 12 hours. As a novice I
am a little confused, how will this prevent me from losing all my
restore points again in five days time? If in fact I actually do lose
them, that is!
MikeW

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi MikeW,
>
> Follow the link below and download "XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs"
> utility. Click on the script and it will show the frequency on which
> Restore Points are created. It should be set to no more than 24 hours.
> This utility will allow you to change the setting. I set my notebook
> to create a RP every 18 hours because it is not on all day long. This
> way very few RP's are missed.
>
> http://www.billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/WinXP%5FTweaks/
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> MikeW wrote:
>> XP Pro
>> Turn off System Restore - Unchecked
>> Disk space usage 12% (for now)
>> Novice user
>>
>> On 9th Feb, after a system crash, I had a new 120 gig
>> hard drive fitted by a computer technician. At the same
>> time he did a clean install of my OS, XP Pro, onto this
>> drive. I reformatted my old drive, a 40 gig, and now use
>> this solely for backing up.
>> Since the 9th Feb I have been gradually installing all my
>> old programs and on two occasions I noticed that ALL my
>> restore points have disappeared. Even the "Most Recent
>> Restore Point", is missing.
>> This has happened on the 14th Feb, and today, the 19th
>> Feb. These two dates as you can see are at 5 day
>> intervals. Have I missed a setting somewhere that needs
>> to be turned off or altered, or are these dates just a
>> coincidence? Any help with this issue would be greatly
>> appreciated. Mike

February 20, 2005 10:45:20 PM

Hi Mike,

I suspect they were never created. Now that the frequency is set to 12
hours keep an eye on the System Restore calendar to confirm they are
being created, and not disappearing.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

MikeW wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
> Thanks for your response and the link.
>
> I've downloaded and run it, and set it for every 12
> hours. As a novice I am a little confused, how will this
> prevent me from losing all my restore points again in
> five days time? If in fact I actually do lose them, that
> is! MikeW
>

> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi MikeW,
>>
>> Follow the link below and download
>> "XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs" utility. Click on
>> the script and it will show the frequency on which
>> Restore Points are created. It should be set to no more
>> than 24 hours. This utility will allow you to change the
>> setting. I set my notebook to create a RP every 18
>> hours because it is not on all day long. This way very
>> few RP's are missed.
>> http://www.billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/WinXP%5FTweaks/
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> MikeW wrote:
>>> XP Pro
>>> Turn off System Restore - Unchecked
>>> Disk space usage 12% (for now)
>>> Novice user
>>>
>>> On 9th Feb, after a system crash, I had a new 120 gig
>>> hard drive fitted by a computer technician. At the same
>>> time he did a clean install of my OS, XP Pro, onto this
>>> drive. I reformatted my old drive, a 40 gig, and now
>>> use this solely for backing up.
>>> Since the 9th Feb I have been gradually installing all
>>> my old programs and on two occasions I noticed that ALL
>>> my restore points have disappeared. Even the "Most
>>> Recent Restore Point", is missing.
>>> This has happened on the 14th Feb, and today, the 19th
>>> Feb. These two dates as you can see are at 5 day
>>> intervals. Have I missed a setting somewhere that needs
>>> to be turned off or altered, or are these dates just a
>>> coincidence? Any help with this issue would be greatly
>>> appreciated. Mike
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 3:22:52 PM

Hi Bert

There has been a slight misunderstanding, perhaps I did not phrase my
original post very well. I will try and clarify.

Between 9th Feb and 14th Feb there were many (8 or 10) restore points,
some were "System Checkpoints", some were restore points created by
installing programs, and some were my own restore points which I created
prior to installing programs. For some reason they had all disappeared
on the 14th Feb.

Exactly the same thing happened on the 19th Feb. As you can see, every
five days! I am anxiously waiting to see if the same happens on the
24th. *Something* is deleting ALL my restore points. If I was to do a
disk clean up and delete the restore points at least I would be left
with the "most recent restore point". Any further thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help so far.

Mike

> Hi Mike,
>
> I suspect they were never created. Now that the frequency is set to 12
> hours keep an eye on the System Restore calendar to confirm they are
> being created, and not disappearing.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> MikeW wrote:
>> Hi Bert,
>>
>> Thanks for your response and the link.
>>
>> I've downloaded and run it, and set it for every 12
>> hours. As a novice I am a little confused, how will this
>> prevent me from losing all my restore points again in
>> five days time? If in fact I actually do lose them, that
>> is! MikeW
>>

>> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi MikeW,
>>>
>>> Follow the link below and download
>>> "XPSystemRestorePointFrequency.vbs" utility. Click on
>>> the script and it will show the frequency on which
>>> Restore Points are created. It should be set to no more
>>> than 24 hours. This utility will allow you to change the
>>> setting. I set my notebook to create a RP every 18
>>> hours because it is not on all day long. This way very
>>> few RP's are missed.
>>> http://www.billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/WinXP%5FTweaks/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>>> http://dts-l.org/

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 3:29:56 PM

Hi MikeW,

This is helpful. One question, are there any Restore Points (RP) left
on the system dated previous to the 9th of Feb, or were these the
oldest RP's?

View the event logs to investigate System Restore service errors. To
do this, follow these steps:
1. Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc then press enter.
2. Click System.
3. Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look for "sr" or
"srservice." Double-click each of these services, and then evaluate
the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem.
4. Report back if you find any errors.

Go to System Restore (SR) and reduce the "Disk space usage" to 1GB.
12% of a large drive may be to large.

If the Disk Cleanup utility is being used, make sure clean up under
System Restore is unchecked on the More Options tab. Having this
checked, Disk Cleanup will remove all restore points except the most
recent one.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]