Copy complete group policy in same AD

michel

I want to copy the group policy wich i set to my OU to another OU in the same
AD.
This because i made a lot of settings and for a couple of users i want to
change it.
Otherwise i must start all over again with the settings.
Can someone advice me how to do this?

"Michel" <Michel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to copy the group policy wich i set to my OU to another OU in the
>same
> AD.
> This because i made a lot of settings and for a couple of users i want to
> change it.
> Otherwise i must start all over again with the settings.
> Can someone advice me how to do this?

I've wanted to do this for a while, and never been able to. People have said
in the past that you can copy the policy files manually, but I've never got
it to work. I just link the policy between the OU's, not ideal.

Dan

michel

Thanks for your reply. When i link the policy for two OU's then when i change
the policy for one i do it for the second also. That's not the situation we
prefer.
Is there someone who can tell me how i can do this manually?

> Thanks for your reply. When i link the policy for two OU's then when i
> change
> the policy for one i do it for the second also. That's not the situation
> we
> prefer.
> Is there someone who can tell me how i can do this manually?

Yup, that's what happens. It's a real PITA. I'm waiting for a solution too,
I'll let you know if I ever find one.

Dan

I believe if you use the Group Policy Management Console, you can back up
the policy, then 'restore it' but restore to a different name. Long way of
getting a copy done, but I think that's the most direct way of doing it.

HTH

Ken

"" wrote:
> I believe if you use the Group Policy Management Console, you
> can back up
> the policy, then 'restore it' but restore to a different name.
> Long way of
> getting a copy done, but I think that's the most direct way of
> doing it.
>
> HTH
>
> Ken
>
> "[-=Dan=-]" <getbent@ease.com> wrote in message
> > "Michel" <Michel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks for your reply. When i link the policy for two OU's
> then when i
> >> change
> >> the policy for one i do it for the second also. That's not
> the situation
> >> we
> >> prefer.
> >> Is there someone who can tell me how i can do this
> manually?
> >>

> > Yup, that's what happens. It's a real PITA. I'm waiting for
> a solution
> > too, I'll let you know if I ever find one.
> >
> > Dan

Use the GPMC to copy the GPO and paste it into a new GPO

Cheers,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Copy-complete-AD-ftopict551307.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1748330

Another way is to create a second GPO that only has the settings you want to
be different and apply this new GPO to the OU you want to have the different
settings. Using GPMC, you can ensure that this new GPO is processed last,
so the settings in it will supercede the settings in GPOs applied before it.

GPOs with lower numbers (nearer the top of the list) in the "Linked Group
Policy Objects" list have precedence over (are processed after) those with
higher numbers (nearer the bottom of the list).

See the GPMC Help, Index, GPO Links, precedence "Changing the link order."..

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Michel" <Michel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to copy the group policy wich i set to my OU to another OU in the
>same
> AD.
> This because i made a lot of settings and for a couple of users i want to
> change it.
> Otherwise i must start all over again with the settings.
> Can someone advice me how to do this?

hi Michel,

You can use GPMC to copy the GPO you want.

Copy a Group Policy object using GPMC
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/7a7a5881-8deb-49d2-a300-649c772036d2.mspx

br,
Denis