Sign in with
Your question

ECC vs. non-ECC memory

Last response: in Memory
January 30, 2007 6:32:19 PM

Yes, I read the memory FAQ. Very Good!

However, what I would like to know-- can ECC memory be used in place of non-ECC memory? Or does ECC require specific support for it by the motherboard or what ever? I have a Chaintech VFN4 mb with 2x512 Kingston value RAM. If I go to 2x1024 I'd like to know if I can go the ECC route. But then the question arises: is ECC memory worth it?

Overclocking is not in my plans.

-Bob

More about : ecc ecc memory

January 30, 2007 7:03:27 PM

in an older PC I used a couple of 512MB ECC ram (SDRAM lol)
in a normal mobo (no ecc) and they worked fine...

dont know about new mobos however...
maybe it depends on each mobo...
January 30, 2007 7:19:15 PM

ECC is mainly used for servers and other mission critical applications that requires extra security and stability. Non-ECC are for regular use like for gaming and home pc. ECC rams are a bit slower since it works with extra steps thats prevents errors and are a bit expensive in most cases. You can use both in a Non-ECC motherboard, but you have to use an ECC supported motherboard to use the ECC feature of the ECC rams.
Related resources
January 30, 2007 7:39:52 PM

ECC requires support from the motherboard. If your looking into building a gaming rig, don't buy ECC ram. It generally had higher latencies than non-ecc. ECC (error-correction code) was developed for servers and workstations and have no benefit in desktop PCs.
January 30, 2007 7:58:28 PM

I have seen ECC ram cause problems in non-supported mobos... and infact, many manuals now states: "supports 2/4 sticks of non-ecc DDR1(2)".
January 30, 2007 7:59:47 PM

Ah. So ECC does require motherboard support to have ECC actually work.

Well, that ends that idea.

Thanks, folks.

-Bob
January 31, 2007 3:39:03 AM

Also, almost all available ECC RAM is also "registered". Registered RAM will not work on typical MBs -- they require "unbuffered" RAM.
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2007 10:05:14 AM

pointless for home users
!