three questions about enhancement bonuses

First, the basic one:

1. When a weapon's name includes "+1", such as Longsword +1, is this the
same as if it said "Attack Bonus +1" under the special abilities? Also,
is this bonus applied to the attack roll *and* damage, or just one or
the other?

2. For the Enchant Arrows feat (for Arcane Archers), does the bonus
apply to elemental arrows, like fire, poison etc.? I know it says
'non-magic' arrows, which I assume means arrows that already have an
enhancement bonus don't get the extra bonus, but I didn't know if it
included other types of non-basic arrows.

3. When using a ranged weapon, is it enough for the weapon itself to
have an enhancement bonus in order to overcome damage reduction, or does
the ammunition (arrows, bolts, etc.) have to have the bonus too?
6 answers Last reply
More about three questions enhancement bonuses

    John Salerno wrote:
    > First, the basic one:
    >
    > 1. When a weapon's name includes "+1", such as Longsword +1, is this the
    > same as if it said "Attack Bonus +1" under the special abilities? Also,
    > is this bonus applied to the attack roll *and* damage, or just one or
    > the other?

    Here's a more specific scenario: I have a longbow with the following
    abilities: Attack Bonus +3, Mighty +3. I have another longbow with:
    Attack Bonus +2, Mighty +4. My STR bonus is +4, so it seems like I would
    lose a point of damage if I go with the first bow. But if the AB also
    counts for damage, then these two bows might cancel each other out. Or
    is AB just for the attack roll, and not damage?

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Here's a more specific scenario: I have a longbow with the following
    > abilities: Attack Bonus +3, Mighty +3. I have another longbow with:
    > Attack Bonus +2, Mighty +4. My STR bonus is +4, so it seems like I would
    > lose a point of damage if I go with the first bow. But if the AB also
    > counts for damage, then these two bows might cancel each other out. Or
    > is AB just for the attack roll, and not damage?

    An Attack Bonus only applies to a ToHit roll - not damage; an
    Enhancement Bonus applies to both. But IIRC, ranged weapons cannot have
    an Enhancement bonus.

    So given that you have 18 STR, the first bow is equivalent to +3/+3, and
    the second is +2/+4.
    --
    My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
    "Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

    everlast wrote:

    > An Attack Bonus only applies to a ToHit roll - not damage; an
    > Enhancement Bonus applies to both.

    Ah, now *that* explains things! So if a weapon has "+1" in its name, is
    that considered an enhancement bonus?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Ah, now *that* explains things! So if a weapon has "+1" in its name, is
    > that considered an enhancement bonus?

    The name can be anything regardless of what properties the weapon has.
    But having a "+1" in the name will most commonly, in the OC, mean that a
    mellee weapon has a +1 enhancement and a ranged weapon has a +1 attack
    bonus.

    A notable exception is in HotU - there are things you can do to raise
    the enhancement bonus and add other properties to an existing weapon. I
    had a character who had a weapon that was listed in Inventory as a
    "Longsword +3". The weapon was +7, +2d6 Acid, Keen, and hasted you
    while it was wielded.

    --
    My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
    "Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."
    - Tip from Doom3 Manual
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Ah, now *that* explains things! So if a weapon has "+1" in its name, is
    > that considered an enhancement bonus?

    This kind of got me thinking - sometimes even looking at the
    "Properties" section of an item won't tell you everything it does.

    For instance, I borrowed this idea from the game Morrowind:

    (minor spoiler for those who haven't played Morrowind but plan on it)

    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *

    In the group I was DM'ing for awhile, I placed an item called the "Boots
    of Blinding Speed". Looking at the 'Properties', they looked
    identical to "Boots of Speed" (Haste while worn). But in the
    Equip/UnEquip code that I had running in the module, anyone who was
    wearing them was struck blind until they took them off. Curative spells
    and effects would clear this up. For about 30 seconds. <grin>
    --
    My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
    "Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."
    - Tip from Doom3 Manual
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    everlast wrote:

    > The name can be anything regardless of what properties the weapon has.
    > But having a "+1" in the name will most commonly, in the OC, mean
    > that a mellee weapon has a +1 enhancement and a ranged weapon has a
    > +1 attack bonus.
    >
    > A notable exception is in HotU - there are things you can do to raise
    > the enhancement bonus and add other properties to an existing weapon.
    > I had a character who had a weapon that was listed in Inventory as a
    > "Longsword +3". The weapon was +7, +2d6 Acid, Keen, and hasted you
    > while it was wielded.

    That's not only a HotU issue - since 1.61 you can change almost every
    property of an item at runtime by scripting, but *not* its name. IIRC it is
    also mentioned somewhere in the manual.

    Hans

Games Basic Video Games