Sign in with
Your question

Router within school network

Last response: in Networking
September 17, 2006 1:09:01 AM

hello

i am currently at unh and i decided that i would get a wireless router for my dormroom jsut for convenience. I setup a static ip address for my router by registering it with the school by its mac address. before i had the router, my computer (and several of my roommates) had ips assigned by the school. i was wondering if i could assign these ip addresses to our computers by my router or in other words make the ip address the school assigned my computer a static ip address assigned by my router. the problem im running into with my current passive setup is that it is very difficult to receive incoming connections, particularly using a program DC++ within the school network.

My school assigned ip address is 132.177.71.19. what i tried to do was disable my router as a DHCP server, set the ip range within the LAN to 132.1.1.1 to 132.254.254.254, then assign my computer the address above by my router. this would not work because my router would not let me set taht ip range. im not sure why it wont let me or if im even taking the right measures to do this. any responses and help are welcome. tia.

ps my router is a Netgear MR814v3

More about : router school network

September 17, 2006 11:19:44 PM

take cable from wall and insert it into wan port on router
reset router defaults
now set up port triggering for dc++ ports
now plug comuters into lan ports on router
you will be assigned a 192.168 address dont worry about it as long as the router is getting an ip on the wan port and port triggering is set up you should be fine.
September 19, 2006 3:31:56 AM

Not sure about the above advice. It sounds like all you want from the router is wireless functionality. This is easy to do. Take the cable from the rest of the school network and plug it into one of the *LAN* ports on the router. Then connect your PCs to the remaining LAN ports. You should disable DHCP on the router before you do this. With this setup, your router essentially becomes a switch with an integrated access point. All PCs should be able to receive IP addresses from the school's DHCP server, or if they don't have one, you can set the IP addresses manually - basically whatever you were doing before. In other words, you shouldn't have to monkey with the settings on any of the PCs.
Related resources
September 19, 2006 5:38:59 PM

thanks weston, but i still can't get an outside connection. i can connect to my router fine, but i tried pinging one of the school's dns servers and got no reply. is there any settings i need to change on my router outside of what should be default?
im going to try a factory reset with this new setup and see if i get any results

small update: when i set a static ip i can reach my router fine but nothing beyond that. if i have it set to get one automatically from the dns, nothing happens, 100% packet loss
September 19, 2006 6:42:09 PM

That fact that you can connect to the router indicates that you've done something wrong. You shouldn't be able to unless you've assigned the router's LAN to use an IP from the school network. What is the static IP that you are using on your PC?
September 20, 2006 5:23:33 PM

My guess is your school assigns each PC on the network one IP address based on the MAC Address its coming from. It probably makes it easier for them to monitor the network as well. Now that said, you might have to ask the school if you can have more than one IP address or if you can have the router registered and get an IP address and then configure NAT (which may or may not work depending on how they have stuff locked down. But a 132 address is a routable address and therefore should be able to be NAT'd even though it on the schools internal network.
September 20, 2006 6:01:46 PM

Quote:
My guess is your school assigns each PC on the network one IP address based on the MAC Address its coming from. It probably makes it easier for them to monitor the network as well. Now that said, you might have to ask the school if you can have more than one IP address or if you can have the router registered and get an IP address and then configure NAT (which may or may not work depending on how they have stuff locked down. But a 132 address is a routable address and therefore should be able to be NAT'd even though it on the schools internal network.

If he sets things up the way I suggested, none of that would matter since the router is acting like a switch and no NAT is taking place. All PCs would be using the addresses already assigned by the school. The router could also get an IP from the school, but it's not necessary.
September 21, 2006 2:48:39 AM

Thats true, all you have to do then pm0u is find out if the school will let you have more IP addresses.
September 21, 2006 3:37:48 AM

well i already got an ip for my router and one for my computer so taht should be enough? they only hand them out by mac address so i have to identify the mac address i need the ip for so whats this new ip for?
September 21, 2006 4:00:24 AM

The router's LAN. To find it all you have to do is set a static IP on the router and on your PC, then ping the router and type arp -a at the dos prompt. This will return a list of all the MAC addresses and the IP addresses they are associated with. Find the router's IP address and it's MAC address will be listed next to it.

You don't really need an IP for the router, you can set the wireless settings the way you want and leave the router set as 192.168.1.1 or whatever. Since the router is not doing any routing or NAT, it's IP address doesn't matter. The only downside to this approach is that you would have to change the IP on your computer to a 192.168 address in order to log in to the router.
September 21, 2006 4:10:16 PM

okay so heres what i need to do apparently:
set my ip as a 192.... address
login to my router
disable dhcp
then set my ip to dynamic and have it assigned
i should now have an open connection?
and this will work for 4 computers in this one router?
September 21, 2006 4:13:04 PM

I think you'll need to configure the local side of the router (the 4 ports which is one port in the setup menu) with and address from the school otherwise it won't be on the same network. Then get however many more addresses you need for however many PCs you have.
September 21, 2006 4:16:25 PM

Quote:
okay so heres what i need to do apparently:
set my ip as a 192.... address
login to my router
disable dhcp
then set my ip to dynamic and have it assigned
i should now have an open connection?
and this will work for 4 computers in this one router?

The only step you left out is configuring your wireless while you're in the router. I.E. set up the ssid and channel the way you want. Encryption is not really an issue since everyone else in the building is on the same network anyway.
September 21, 2006 4:33:42 PM

ok well now while iwas getting some help with this, i contacted netgear warranty help people. im going to disregard most of waht she said as long as this works. there was one hting though, she told me to change my channel to 6. is there any reason to choose a channel other than 11?
September 21, 2006 4:56:45 PM

Quote:
ok well now while iwas getting some help with this, i contacted netgear warranty help people. im going to disregard most of waht she said as long as this works. there was one hting though, she told me to change my channel to 6. is there any reason to choose a channel other than 11?

She probably told you that because 6 is the default for most equipment and she doesn't know how to do anything besides "default" scenarios. It's actually better to use channel 1 or 11 because there's usually less interference with other devices. Most people leave their equipment at the default (ch. 6).
September 22, 2006 3:56:15 AM

wow guys thanks for all your help but it is still f&^*&ed up. i am currentyl wired into my router with the school network connection plugged into a lan port, so taht much works. but when i try to do it through the wireless, the connection is terrible. in fact it pretty much jsut slowly degraded to nothing. i know its not a problem of signal strength and my computer does get assigned an ip by the school's dns when the wireless was working. i am using a refurbished netgear router that i bought on ebay, so amybe taht has somethign to do with it. pls help
September 22, 2006 5:46:03 PM

If it works but is slow then there's not much you can do. Try replacing the router maybe?
September 24, 2006 8:54:10 PM

well i have a 30 day refurbished warranty on netgear so maybe i should try that. when i connect to it on wireless it says 11mbps but it definitely isnt that fast. ill have to contact them about a return
September 25, 2006 12:01:35 AM

Well how fast is it? If it is only 802.11b then all you can reliably expect is 3-5 mbps.
September 25, 2006 12:19:05 AM

well heres an example. i got sick of waiting for the router setup page to load so i gave up and factory reset it. i was thinking right with you and decided to visit a bandwidth test page. i did one at dslreports.com (the first one i think), and it timed out loading the java app. so i dont think its 3-5 mbps, even though it is 802.11b
September 25, 2006 1:49:19 AM

Try changing the channel maybe. It could just be interference making it go slow.
September 30, 2009 5:41:37 PM

hi there fred, this thread is about 3 years old, but i actually followed what you did and was able to get my router to act as a hub. problem is, only one of my computer can see the router wirelessly. just was wondering if you maybe knew why.

i have the the ssid set to not broadcast, but it should show up as an un-named connection.

anyways, i was just wondering if you may be able to help
thanks

!