Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

customize start menu

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:17:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.

I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?

Thanks- still feeling my way.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

More about : customize start menu

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:17:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Customize the Start Menu Using Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstart...

The Windows XP Start Menu and Taskbar
http://www.theeldergeek.com/start_menu.htm

Windows XP: Clean the Start Menu
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-01.html

Customizing the Start Menu in Windows XP
http://www.glencoe.com/norton/online/ezine/display_arti...

Using the Start Menu
http://www.coolnerds.com/XP/StartMenu/xpStartMenu.htm

Start Menu and Taskbar
http://www.winguides.com/registry/category.php/16/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1cSdnbSoarnuxYrfRVn-jA@suscom-maine.net,
Gordon Abbot <gabbot@mmo.net> hunted and pecked:
> How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.
>
> I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp
> view?
>
> Thanks- still feeling my way.
>
> GA
> --
> My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:22:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Gordon Abbot wrote:
> How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.
>
> I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?
>
> Thanks- still feeling my way.
>
> GA

What I should have asked is how to modify the all programs section,
which was done through start/settings/..advanced etc. in win 98se. What
I intend is to group the items in folders (ie Utilities, Multimedia...).
I could do it in explorer (All users...) but is there a method like in
98se? I am not sure if I would cause a problem if I do it in explorer.

Sorry for the confusion.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
Related resources
February 19, 2005 6:22:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
news:1cSdnbSoarnuxYrfRVn-jA@suscom-maine.net...
> How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.
>
> I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?
>
> Thanks- still feeling my way.
>
> GA
> --
> My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

depends on how and what you wish to do - Have you looked on download.com for
menu customisation tools? If you want to change the 'Start' name and logo
then in any programming language you would need to find the handle of the
window and create your own rectangles onto that handle as its parent. - If
you don't program then better look for an application that already does it.
February 19, 2005 8:24:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
news:iqidnYdl9pRN6IrfRVn-iA@suscom-maine.net...
> Gordon Abbot wrote:
>> How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.
>>
>> I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?
>>
>> Thanks- still feeling my way.
>>
>> GA
>
> What I should have asked is how to modify the all programs section, which
> was done through start/settings/..advanced etc. in win 98se. What I intend
> is to group the items in folders (ie Utilities, Multimedia...). I could do
> it in explorer (All users...) but is there a method like in 98se? I am not
> sure if I would cause a problem if I do it in explorer.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> GA
>
> --
> My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

ok - right click the 'Start' button and choose 'Explore All Users' From here
you can arrange and create new folders as you wish - Look at the folders
with the user names also and you can change each user also (as long as you
are admin)
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:20:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

James wrote:
> "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
> news:iqidnYdl9pRN6IrfRVn-iA@suscom-maine.net...
>
>>Gordon Abbot wrote:
>>
>>>How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.
>>>
>>>I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?
>>>
>>>Thanks- still feeling my way.
>>>
>>>GA
>>
>>What I should have asked is how to modify the all programs section, which
>>was done through start/settings/..advanced etc. in win 98se. What I intend
>>is to group the items in folders (ie Utilities, Multimedia...). I could do
>>it in explorer (All users...) but is there a method like in 98se? I am not
>>sure if I would cause a problem if I do it in explorer.
>>
>>Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>>GA
>>
>>--
>>My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
>
>
> ok - right click the 'Start' button and choose 'Explore All Users' From here
> you can arrange and create new folders as you wish - Look at the folders
> with the user names also and you can change each user also (as long as you
> are admin)
>
>
That's it- thanks.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
!