customize start menu

How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.

I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?

Thanks- still feeling my way.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
5 answers Last reply

    Customize the Start Menu Using Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/startmenu.mspx

    The Windows XP Start Menu and Taskbar
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/start_menu.htm

    Windows XP: Clean the Start Menu
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-01.html

    Customizing the Start Menu in Windows XP
    http://www.glencoe.com/norton/online/ezine/display_article.phtml?id=232

    Using the Start Menu
    http://www.coolnerds.com/XP/StartMenu/xpStartMenu.htm

    Start Menu and Taskbar
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/category.php/16/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1cSdnbSoarnuxYrfRVn-jA@suscom-maine.net,
    Gordon Abbot <gabbot@mmo.net> hunted and pecked:

    Gordon Abbot wrote:
    > How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.
    >
    > I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?
    >
    > Thanks- still feeling my way.
    >
    > GA

    What I should have asked is how to modify the all programs section,
    which was done through start/settings/..advanced etc. in win 98se. What
    I intend is to group the items in folders (ie Utilities, Multimedia...).
    I could do it in explorer (All users...) but is there a method like in
    98se? I am not sure if I would cause a problem if I do it in explorer.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    GA

    --

    "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    > How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.
    >
    > I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?
    >
    > Thanks- still feeling my way.
    >
    > GA
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    depends on how and what you wish to do - Have you looked on download.com for
    menu customisation tools? If you want to change the 'Start' name and logo
    then in any programming language you would need to find the handle of the
    window and create your own rectangles onto that handle as its parent. - If
    you don't program then better look for an application that already does it.

    > Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >> How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.
    >>
    >> I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?
    >>
    >> Thanks- still feeling my way.
    >>
    >> GA
    >
    > What I should have asked is how to modify the all programs section, which
    > was done through start/settings/..advanced etc. in win 98se. What I intend
    > is to group the items in folders (ie Utilities, Multimedia...). I could do
    > it in explorer (All users...) but is there a method like in 98se? I am not
    > sure if I would cause a problem if I do it in explorer.
    >
    > Sorry for the confusion.
    >
    > GA
    >
    > --
    > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    ok - right click the 'Start' button and choose 'Explore All Users' From here
    you can arrange and create new folders as you wish - Look at the folders
    with the user names also and you can change each user also (as long as you
    are admin)

    James wrote:
    > "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >>
    >>>How do you do it? With win 98se it was easy in settings/advanced.
    >>>
    >>>I see that I can shift to that view, but is there a way in the xp view?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks- still feeling my way.
    >>>
    >>>GA
    >>
    >>What I should have asked is how to modify the all programs section, which
    >>was done through start/settings/..advanced etc. in win 98se. What I intend
    >>is to group the items in folders (ie Utilities, Multimedia...). I could do
    >>it in explorer (All users...) but is there a method like in 98se? I am not
    >>sure if I would cause a problem if I do it in explorer.
    >>
    >>Sorry for the confusion.
    >>
    >>GA
    >>
    >>--
    >>My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
    >

    > ok - right click the 'Start' button and choose 'Explore All Users' From here
    > you can arrange and create new folders as you wish - Look at the folders
    > with the user names also and you can change each user also (as long as you
    > are admin)

    That's it- thanks.

    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Start Menu Customization Windows XP