Questions about quieting down the new build

juggernautspot

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Hey guys got a quick question for you, my new build is fairly noisy and I want to be able to turn the fans down to be able to sleep in the same room with it running.

List of components:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4 GHz LGA 775
CPU Cooler: Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
Motherboard: ASUS P5B-E LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX
PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W
GPU: XFX PV-T73G-UDE3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
RAM: Super Talent 2GB (2x1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model T800UX2GC4
HDD (OS): Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
HDD (Storage): Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000KDRTL 400GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150
HDD (Storage): 2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Case: Antec Performance One P180B Black ATX Mid Tower
Optical: Pioneer 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Read Black ATAPI Model DVR-111D

I currently have the E6600 running at 3.00 GHz for day to day use, but I am planning on clocking it back down to 2.4 GHz while leaving it on over night (don't need the extra power), so slower fans shouldn't be an issue?

I am looking at buying a fan controller, but I don't know if the fan controller will be able to control the antec tricool 120mm fans that came with my case. They have built in controllers and I do not know if a fan controller could over ride them, I suppose one could just set the built in fan controller to hight and adjust from there with the external fan controller? Am I right (sorry for the rambling).

So far I was looking at buying the Scythe KAMA METER (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811998011) but after seeing numerous bad reviews I am leaning towards the VANTEC NXP-205-BK (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813999504)

Next question is am I actually going to be able to monitor the fan rpm with a utility such as the AI Suite that came with my motherboard? Or am I just going to have to monitor the temperature of my cpu and decide what to do with the fan speeds?

Finally why is there such a discrepancy between temperature monitoring programs. Example the utilities that came with my motherboard (AI Suite and PC Prode II) will report my CPU temperature at 39 C and system at 32 C while Intel's TAT will report the cores between 31-34 C.

Thanks guys

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
You have to be careful of the watts per channel of fan controllers.. don't want anything melting.. The Sunbeam 4 channel rheobus at xoxide.com is fantastic at 20W per channel and fits in a 5.25" bay.

Next, swap out those Antec 120mm fans with Nexus 120mm fans.. or Scythe S-Flex 1200/1600rpm fans.. the Antecs are decent, but Nexus and scythe are quieter.

Another option would be to swap out the power supply fan - but you need to be very careful if you're going to open it up.. ZAP!

Check www.silentpcreview.com for more info on case silencing..

A source of noise is the air pressure between the small space of the Scythe Infinity.. that's why I prefer the Scythe Ninja - the larger spaced fins are better for lower rpm fans with less noise..

Edit: you can still monitor fan rpm if you are able to run the rpm sender to the motherboard (blue wire on the 3 pin fan plugs). There are some adapters for $1-2 that will allow you to do this..

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Absolute best, quietest fans are SilenX. Move ALOT of air but only at 11-14 dB.....don't even need a fan controller for them. Nexus, Panaflo, Scythe can't even come close. You pay a bit more $10-15 more per fan, but they are SILENT. So the money you'd save on a fan controller which wouldn't be needed could get you 3 of those 120mm SilenX fans to replace the stock Antec Tri-cool ones that came with that case.

I've not found one fan on the market that can beat a SilenX for low noise, but they are harder to find though. Might have to check a specialty or mod store.

juggernautspot

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Thanks guys for the fast responses.

So got off of work checked out the responses and did a little digging to see what I could find.

First I checked out SilenX's website and it does look like they make some kick a$$ fans. Lots of moved air with hardly a sound uttered, awesome.

I found a site that listed specifications for what the three antec tricool fans that were included with the case. The site probably isn't exactly the fan but close enough for government work. Link: http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/productdb/bGNka5iamJTK/viewproduct/Antec_TriCool_120/ According to that site, in the tests the fans produced 32-50 dB ranging from low to high speeds. Pretty dang loud.

Next on the same site I looked up my CPU cooler, link: http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/productdb/bGNkbJiZmJnK/viewproduct/Scythe_Infinity/ which produced 32-37 dB in the test.

Here is my next question, I assume the fans are all 120x120x25mm is this an accurate assumption. What is the difference besides physical between these and the 120x120x38mm fans. Do they move more air, or are they just deeper.

So my idea is to buy the highest rated CFM SilenX fans, use the Sunbeam 4 port black fan controller to keep my system as cool an quiet as possible. This being said which of the 120mm fans listed on this page http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp to you think I should get. I would be getting at least 2 (probably 3) for case fans, and 1 to replace my Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU cooling fan.

Can I buy the SilenX fans directly from their website? If so in looking around I see their fans anywhere from $20-$30. Anybody know of a place, I can't get them locally that is for sure.

Let me know what you guys think about this idea. Thanks again.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I would suggest going with a nexus fan controller... they have a better reputation than sunbeam. I use a nexus fan controller for the fans on my radiator and a enermax multi function to control the rest of my fans and for temp monitoring.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ok, a few things:

I have the same case as you, with a CPU OC'd to 3.0, but a different HSF. The 180 is VERY good at dampening noise, so you have another issue somewhere with noise. I also have a Zalman fan controller, and a Seasonic PSU (very quiet). So, from my experience (not to mention putting my ear beside every part in the case to determine noise sources!), you have 3 main sources of noise in your case:

1) PSU fan
2) CPU HSF
3) case fans

Suggestions:

1) OCZ is a good PSU, no doubt, but not the most quiet on the market. Ripping it apart to swap the fan will help, but you'll void your warranty and this is not a mod to do for beginners. Best bet is to leave the PSU as is and get something like this to help with the noise:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2076137&CatId=1107

2) CPU HSF. It is what it is. I have a Zalman 9500 and at low speeds it is completely silent. Crank the speed up and I can really hear it. So get that fan controller, hook it up, and use the monitoring cable to hook up to your mobo lead. This will let you control the speed of the HSF and still monitor it as well. I don't know if the Vantec comes with it, but if not you can get that cable for $2. Regardless, definitely use a fan controller with the extra cables and you'll notice a big difference.

3) Case fans. The stock Antec Tri-Cool are pretty good. DON'T put them on HIGH though, they will be too loud. Put the rear fan and bottom fan on MEDIUM, and put the top blowhole on LOW. Also, be sure to use the lower hard drive cage, not the middle one if you want cool and quiet. The bottom fan will keep your hard drives and PSU cool, and the noise will be ALOT more isolated.

See if this helps BEFORE you go spending money on 3 case fans.....cuz that will be expensive if you want to get good ones. Put your ear near the parts with the side panel off and isolate the noise, see how loud/quiet the stock fans are at medium speed. Put the side panel on and see the noise too.

Then if you want to get aftermarket case fans, go with ones that are readily available. I neglected to mention something about the SilenX ones: they are rebadged no-names (Adda fans) that are highly overpriced, so be careful. The other problem with these is the hit-and-miss quality and consistency. So they may be good, but not all the time, so I'm just warning you. If you want consistent quality products, then check this (taken directly from Silent PC's reviews):

As to 120mm, the Noctua NF-S12 Series ranked first, followed by the Scythe S-Flex & Kama Flow Series, and then the Nexus. All of them put out a low CFM, but they are EXTREMELY quiet even at 12v. The Nexus 120mms are a rebadged Yate-Loon D12SL-12 with an inline resistor to drop the speed down to 1000rpm. If you buy the Yate Loon model, it will run at 1300rpm (generating more noise, of course) but is much cheaper than the rebadged Nexus or most fans marketed as quiet/silent. Places like tekgems and Jab-tech carry Yate-Loon fans. The Nexus brand is carried by a wider number of on-line stores. A medium speed 120mm Yate-Loon is sold at CompUSA under the Mad Dog brand.

Scythe S-Flex are rebadges of Sony Airflex fans. Sony originally only intended to use their fans to cool off various models of their plasma tv lines. These fans have been both been very quiet and very ticky. They still have their fans on this forum, but one user did an impromptu review of six fans, and the Scythe came in fifth place of the fans tested. Consensus is that they are louder than the Nexus, between slightly and a good amount.

So, when you consider the best solution, really you should go for the Noctua or a Nexus. Just figure out which RPM model you want. I'd go for the middle one, best balance between air flow and quiet.

I'm actually figuring out which of those 2 to get for my 180 ;)

Hope that helps.

juggernautspot

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Dang wish I saw Skyguy's response before I ordered 3 of the SilenX fans, but oh well. The SilenX fans are capable of moving a large amount of air with not producing too much sound, but when using my motherboard to control the fan rpms it is still just too loud (~1500 rpm), I need/want to be able to turn them down some more (~900-1000 rpm).

Currently I have SpeedFan 4.32 beta 17 which is capable of controlling my Chassis 1 & 2 fans (back and bottom chamber fan), but unfortunately unable to control my power fan (the top fan) or the cpu fan. When setting the 2 fans that I can control to 45-55% they become almost inaudible, which is exactly what I want. Now I just need to figure out if I am either doing something wrong, or if the current version of SpeedFan just isn't compatible with controlling my HSF and power fan. Is my heat sink incompatible seeing as it has a 3-pin power adapter where as my motherboard's cpu is a 4-pin?

I am still looking at buying VANTEC NXP-205-BK as mentioned before to still be able to control all of my fans, but I would really love to be able to have a bit of automatic control built in. Would it be possible to enable fan control on my P5B-E bios, set it to performance, turn the fan controller all the way up and still have my motherboard manage the fan speeds to a certain extend, then when going to bed I could simply turn the 4 fans down using the fan controller??

Also what exactly would I search for when looking for the fan rpm sender/monitoring cable? Also what about motherboard errors telling me my CPU fan isn't plugged in?

Thanks guys again for your patients and time, I will get it all figured out in time.

Neuman

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
though I just skimmed most of this thread....are you aware that AI Suite has a built in fan control utility (Q-Fan)? Though you could access it in BIOS, AI Suite has several different options for fan speed settings.

Currently on my p5b-deluxe i have cpu fan speeds set to "performance" and chasis to "optimal", which is making my build nearly silent at idle.

for OC'ing though you'll probably want to investigate more though to make sure everything is being properly cooled, just wanted you to be aware your current build should have some fan speed utility/settings.

zach