Install E6300 onto Asus P5N-E SLI
Install Arctic 7 Cooler
Install RAM
Installed PX7900GTX
Install SATAII Hard Drive
Install CD Rom
Connect everything up to the PSU and Data Connectors
Connected Front Panel USB, Firewire and On Off Switch

When I powered it on the CPU Fan, PSU and Back Case Fan spin for 1 second and then it turns off.

Unconnected almost everyting from power and data cables except CPU and Ram. Same happens

Took everthing out except CPU same happens

Tried different PSU same happens

Tried reseating CPU and Fan same happens

Any advice is so welcome?

paraffin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Something more constructive was expected but an update anyway

New Info

Take everything out of mobo power up it stays on and fans keep running

Insert CPU and CPU Fan problem occurs again.

Take the CPU out and put RAM, HDD, CD-Rom power up and all those power up.

What could be wrong with the CPU what would cause it to do that?

rwooster

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
You get that 1 second of power and then nothing. I used to get that all the time with 3 1/2 floppy drives. Put your ear to the power supply after this happens and listen for a slight buzzing sound. If you hear that then something is temporarily shorting you system power. That 4 pin connector on floppies used to get me from time to time that way. Suggest you disconnect all power connections except to the motherboard and see what happens then. If it boots, connect and power up one device at a time until you find the offender. If connecting the motherboard only gives you the same results, look to the motherboard or power supply as your offender.

paraffin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Like I said in my last post it only occurs when the CPU is put into the mobo. I can put everything else in and it works fine!

Is this a fried CPU or Mobo?

Viceras

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
I've seen this problem before on these forums, on most occasions it's been attributed to one of the following:
a) Poor quality PSU or the PSUs voltage isnt strong enough to run the system hence the start up for a few seconds and then stop
b) A poorly fitted HSF
c) A bad CPU

This info is from the many forum posts i've read here, not from my personal experience but I hope it helps you to shed some light on the problem.

Good luck m8!

paraffin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
The PSU is a 530W HIPER MODULAR BLACK TYPE R

I tried the stock cooler rather than the Artic Cooler and still the same problem

Would the CPU overheat in 1 sec or less, how does the CPU know if there is a HSF there or not until it gets to hot?

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
It could over heat very quickly if the heat sink is not installed correctly. Is it secured tight onto the cpu? Do you have all the power plugs from the power supply pluged into the mother board?

I would go back over everything again. Use your manual that came with the mother board to make sure all the switches for power and reset are all pluged into the correct places. Make sure that there is not a bios clear jumper that is set. ( I had that happen once but the mother board did not power at all until I moved the jumper) Most newer motherboards have two plugs for power on them. Again read your manual.

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
make sure u remove sticker under cpu heat sink. Seen these problems before. Also, make sure u did connect the four power connector in motherboard. Lots of people forgets to connect this.

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Maybe u did not put the screws that came with your case that goes under the motherboard. The motherboard is touching the case tray and is causing short. Remove motherboard to see if u did put the screws. This happen to my friend on hes first built. He did not put the screws under motherboard and motherboard was touching the case tray. This cause pc to shut off almost immidiately or sometimes would not turn on at all.

paraffin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
You are a legend rickpcnerd and I am a mong!!!!

It was the 4 power connector that was not attached and now it stays powered on at least. Time for bed its 3 am and BF2142 has kept my mind off this until I read your post. Had to check it and hopefully when I put the rest of the machine togther tomorrow everything goes smoothly.

Thanks again I will let you know how the rest of it goes