Locking Down Drives

jono

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

Can anyone give me the best solution within group policies to stop users
having access to manage hardware devices and prevent access to floppy drives,
cd roms and the insertion of USB keys, or any other peripheral device that
could have narmful files on it.

Jono explained :
> Can anyone give me the best solution within group policies to stop users
> having access to manage hardware devices and prevent access to floppy drives,
> cd roms and the insertion of USB keys, or any other peripheral device that
> could have narmful files on it.

use the hide drives option
just allow the mapped drives if any and disallow access to every other
driveletter
every device is only accessible thru a drive letter
also take away command prompt
and remove the control panel extension for system
you could also disable context menu for "My computer"

grtz

--
just a suggestion:

d;-p

>to stop users having access to manage hardware devices and prevent
>access to floppy drives cd roms and the insertion of USB keys, or any
>other peripheral device that could have narmful files on it.

Hi,

The "hide drives" option is great for C:\ and any "mapped" drive
that needs "access but doesn’t need to be seen". However, the
"prevent access to" is even more powerful and actually prevents
access.

You Will have to modify the System.adm file on ALL your DC’s and any
machine that has adminpak.msi on it.
http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/HideDrives.htm

Cheers,

Lara