A Question for the Lappers out there

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Do you lap your IHS?

I've read arguments for and against. How many processors get RMA'd? Do I even need to worry about the warranty? Does it help?

I'm debating lapping my E6600, I'm almost done lapping my tuniq.

Thoughts?

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Lapping helps, but not by a huge amount. Expect 1-3C difference, so long as you're using a good thermal transfer compound. The IHS to HS barrier isn't really that big of a bottleneck when it comes to heat transfer, the biggest one remains HS to air. That's why liquid cooling improves temps so much. So, expect a small difference, but if you have to RMA, well, you're SOL.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I havent oc'ed my E6300 to much yet (No case = no go) but when i do ill probably lap the IHS, depending on my temps. Although i might return it and get an E4300, so maybe il hold off. Hmmm...decisions...decisions... :?

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
You can ground the IHS to reduce the risk of static build up. Also, have a vacuum running nearby to suction off the metal dust so it doesn't migrate around to your pin-holes and cause problems.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
It is pretty safe, I have never heard of someone ruining a CPU due to lapping, though if you do happen to destroy it in another way don't even try to RMA it :p
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/402/1/
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=416 (old but same principle applies)

You don't even have to waste time and effort taping off the base, just use masking tape over the bottom if you want, you don't really need to.

I lapped my D805 to a mirror finish, much more mirrored than the one in the legit reviews article, and gained about 7C under load initially, and about 10C after AS5 settled in. My IHS looked flat until i started sanding, it could hold a few drops of water in the middle because it was pretty convex.

When you are done just rinse it with distilled water, let it dry and rinse again with 90+% isopropyl and let it dry 24 hours or so just to be safe.

Post a pic when you are done :)

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I'm not lapping anything to a mirror finish, I tend to agree more with the camp of "flat" being the reason for lapping more than "smooth." I stopped at 800 grit on the tuniq. I can post pics, but they wouldn't be that interesting.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Agreed, flat is the important thing. I just liked the idea of putting my mirror polished Apogee block onto another mirror surface :) I use about a 1/4 of a grain of rice of AS5 and it covers the whole surface.

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
well, I burned the CPU in last night, and even the first overclock this AM brought my idle temps up close to 50, so that tuniq is going to get installed pretty quickly, probably onto an unlapped CPU, then we'll see how the temps look and reconsider

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
You can ground the IHS to reduce the risk of static build up. Also, have a vacuum running nearby to suction off the metal dust so it doesn't migrate around to your pin-holes and cause problems.
Is that a good idea? Vacuums build up a huge static charge. I wouldn't want it anywhere near my chip 8O

tool_462, do you have pics of your lapped IHS? :D

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
vacuum's are not a good thing to use around computer parts :p It was discussed in mpilchfamily's PC cleaning guide and we all decided static is bad. :roll:

I had a crappy pic of me taking a pic of myself with my old cell phone but it was lost and replaced in a tragic living room wrestling accident involving a knee to my thigh, crushing my Razr between my leg and the knee in question.