Cell broadband: should we blame it for the PS3 costs?

Aerobernardo

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/01/30/HNsonyprofits_1.html

Shall we expect any price cuts when the new 45nm Cell hits the shelves via new PS3 versions? They wont lower the prices within those costs. Wish I could buy a PS3 for U$400 by April on New York... Hope is always the last survivor..

Is the Cell really the reason? Isn't it the Blue ray drive? Yes I put this on the CPU topic just because of the Cell. Actually its much more because much more ppl will see it.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I'd say its both the blu-ray drives and the cells, low yeilds on both of them have got to be driving up costs. Or maybe sony is just being a greedy, money grubbing, evil, monopoly.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I'd say its both the blu-ray drives and the cells, low yeilds on both of them have got to be driving up costs. Or maybe sony is just being a greedy, money grubbing, evil, monopoly.

Yea. I remember an article that said about Sony executives saying the prices of PS3 were more than justified, and it could have been higher. Though I understand they are still losing money even with the ridiculous prices, the snobby attitude towards consumers and developers are worse.