Removing Windows Wallpaper on 2000 and XP machines?

Hi All,

Is this doable using Group Policy? I thought about a logon script or
something similar, but I'm not sure exactly how we'd do it. Removing the
Wallpaper tab won't work due to that rather annoying "set as wallpaper" link
they have on the context menus for images in Internet Explorer.
5 answers Last reply
More about removing windows wallpaper 2000 machines

    Hi Chris,

    This looks to be the only way to specify wallpaper in GP.

    User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Active Desktop
    Wallpaper

    "Specifies the desktop background (wallpaper) displayed on all users'
    desktops. This setting lets you specify the wallpaper on users' desktops
    and prevents users from changing the image or its presentation. The
    wallpaper you specify can be stored in a bitmap (*.bmp), JPEG (*.jpg), or
    HTML (*.htm, *.html) file. To use this setting, type the fully qualified
    path and name of the file that stores the wallpaper image. You can type a
    local path, such as C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\home.jpg or a UNC path, such as
    \\Server\Share\Corp.jpg. If the specified file is not available when the
    user logs on, no wallpaper is displayed. Users cannot specify alternative
    wallpaper. You can also use this setting to specify that the wallpaper image
    be centered, tiled, or stretched. Users cannot change this specification.
    If you disable this setting or do not configure it, no wallpaper is
    displayed. However, users can select the wallpaper of their choice. Also,
    see the Allow only bitmapped wallpaper in the same location, and the Prevent
    changing wallpaper setting in User Configuration\Administrative
    Templates\Control Panel. Note: You need to enable the Active Desktop to use
    this setting. Note: This setting does not apply to Terminal Server
    sessions."

    br,
    Denis

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is this doable using Group Policy? I thought about a logon script or
    > something similar, but I'm not sure exactly how we'd do it. Removing the
    > Wallpaper tab won't work due to that rather annoying "set as wallpaper"
    link
    > they have on the context menus for images in Internet Explorer.

    Yeah I had a play around with that - I was wondering whether "" would produce
    the desired result. I assumed that all that bit of the group policy did was
    stick the path you provided in a reg key somewhere, so a blank might force
    nothing. I'll give it a whirl

    "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > This looks to be the only way to specify wallpaper in GP.
    >
    > User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Active Desktop
    > Wallpaper
    >
    > "Specifies the desktop background (wallpaper) displayed on all users'
    > desktops. This setting lets you specify the wallpaper on users' desktops
    > and prevents users from changing the image or its presentation. The
    > wallpaper you specify can be stored in a bitmap (*.bmp), JPEG (*.jpg), or
    > HTML (*.htm, *.html) file. To use this setting, type the fully qualified
    > path and name of the file that stores the wallpaper image. You can type a
    > local path, such as C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\home.jpg or a UNC path, such as
    > \\Server\Share\Corp.jpg. If the specified file is not available when the
    > user logs on, no wallpaper is displayed. Users cannot specify alternative
    > wallpaper. You can also use this setting to specify that the wallpaper image
    > be centered, tiled, or stretched. Users cannot change this specification.
    > If you disable this setting or do not configure it, no wallpaper is
    > displayed. However, users can select the wallpaper of their choice. Also,
    > see the Allow only bitmapped wallpaper in the same location, and the Prevent
    > changing wallpaper setting in User Configuration\Administrative
    > Templates\Control Panel. Note: You need to enable the Active Desktop to use
    > this setting. Note: This setting does not apply to Terminal Server
    > sessions."
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Is this doable using Group Policy? I thought about a logon script or
    > > something similar, but I'm not sure exactly how we'd do it. Removing the
    > > Wallpaper tab won't work due to that rather annoying "set as wallpaper"
    > link
    > > they have on the context menus for images in Internet Explorer.

    If anyone else is trying to do this, if you use the Group Policy object
    mentioned below, and set the path to a non-existent image file it sets no
    wallpaper and refuses to allow any change even with 'Set as background' in
    internet explorer

    "Chris" wrote:

    > Yeah I had a play around with that - I was wondering whether "" would produce
    > the desired result. I assumed that all that bit of the group policy did was
    > stick the path you provided in a reg key somewhere, so a blank might force
    > nothing. I'll give it a whirl
    >
    > "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Chris,
    > >
    > > This looks to be the only way to specify wallpaper in GP.
    > >
    > > User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Active Desktop
    > > Wallpaper
    > >
    > > "Specifies the desktop background (wallpaper) displayed on all users'
    > > desktops. This setting lets you specify the wallpaper on users' desktops
    > > and prevents users from changing the image or its presentation. The
    > > wallpaper you specify can be stored in a bitmap (*.bmp), JPEG (*.jpg), or
    > > HTML (*.htm, *.html) file. To use this setting, type the fully qualified
    > > path and name of the file that stores the wallpaper image. You can type a
    > > local path, such as C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\home.jpg or a UNC path, such as
    > > \\Server\Share\Corp.jpg. If the specified file is not available when the
    > > user logs on, no wallpaper is displayed. Users cannot specify alternative
    > > wallpaper. You can also use this setting to specify that the wallpaper image
    > > be centered, tiled, or stretched. Users cannot change this specification.
    > > If you disable this setting or do not configure it, no wallpaper is
    > > displayed. However, users can select the wallpaper of their choice. Also,
    > > see the Allow only bitmapped wallpaper in the same location, and the Prevent
    > > changing wallpaper setting in User Configuration\Administrative
    > > Templates\Control Panel. Note: You need to enable the Active Desktop to use
    > > this setting. Note: This setting does not apply to Terminal Server
    > > sessions."
    > >
    > > br,
    > > Denis
    > >
    > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > Is this doable using Group Policy? I thought about a logon script or
    > > > something similar, but I'm not sure exactly how we'd do it. Removing the
    > > > Wallpaper tab won't work due to that rather annoying "set as wallpaper"
    > > link
    > > > they have on the context menus for images in Internet Explorer.

    This works, but if the users have the privilege to change the registry, they
    can easily override this thing, as this setting is stored in Registry of
    individual users machines at the following key.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

    They can just change the path to their desired wallpaper image file and its
    done.

    Regards,

    Victory

    > If anyone else is trying to do this, if you use the Group Policy object
    > mentioned below, and set the path to a non-existent image file it sets no
    > wallpaper and refuses to allow any change even with 'Set as background' in
    > internet explorer
    >
    > "Chris" wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah I had a play around with that - I was wondering whether "" would
    produce
    > > the desired result. I assumed that all that bit of the group policy did
    was
    > > stick the path you provided in a reg key somewhere, so a blank might
    force
    > > nothing. I'll give it a whirl
    > >
    > > "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Chris,
    > > >
    > > > This looks to be the only way to specify wallpaper in GP.
    > > >
    > > > User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Active
    Desktop
    > > > Wallpaper
    > > >
    > > > "Specifies the desktop background (wallpaper) displayed on all users'
    > > > desktops. This setting lets you specify the wallpaper on users'
    desktops
    > > > and prevents users from changing the image or its presentation. The
    > > > wallpaper you specify can be stored in a bitmap (*.bmp), JPEG (*.jpg),
    or
    > > > HTML (*.htm, *.html) file. To use this setting, type the fully
    qualified
    > > > path and name of the file that stores the wallpaper image. You can
    type a
    > > > local path, such as C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\home.jpg or a UNC path,
    such as
    > > > \\Server\Share\Corp.jpg. If the specified file is not available when
    the
    > > > user logs on, no wallpaper is displayed. Users cannot specify
    alternative
    > > > wallpaper. You can also use this setting to specify that the wallpaper
    image
    > > > be centered, tiled, or stretched. Users cannot change this
    specification.
    > > > If you disable this setting or do not configure it, no wallpaper is
    > > > displayed. However, users can select the wallpaper of their choice.
    Also,
    > > > see the Allow only bitmapped wallpaper in the same location, and the
    Prevent
    > > > changing wallpaper setting in User Configuration\Administrative
    > > > Templates\Control Panel. Note: You need to enable the Active Desktop
    to use
    > > > this setting. Note: This setting does not apply to Terminal Server
    > > > sessions."
    > > >
    > > > br,
    > > > Denis
    > > >
    > > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Removing the
    > > > link

    Hi

    thats good to know

    BTW if you are stopping users changing their desktop background one
    would hope you would stop them running regedit too!!!

    I work in a technical call centre and i think we must be the most pesky
    users for an admin to control due to having a bit(but not a lot in some
    cases!!) more tech know how than the average Joe. wehn its quiet people
    do tend to play and see what they can see

    I do have respect for a network team that manages to keep about 500+
    techies in order,mind you we use Novell as the directory service, seems
    to have some nice features too and works OK with XP

    Si

    --
    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Policy Internet Explorer Wallpaper Microsoft Windows XP Windows