Removing Windows Wallpaper on 2000 and XP machines?

Tags:
  • Policy
  • Internet Explorer
  • Wallpaper
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 12, 2005 12:35:03 PM

Hi All,

Is this doable using Group Policy? I thought about a logon script or
something similar, but I'm not sure exactly how we'd do it. Removing the
Wallpaper tab won't work due to that rather annoying "set as wallpaper" link
they have on the context menus for images in Internet Explorer.

More about : removing windows wallpaper 2000 machines

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:37:29 PM

Hi Chris,

This looks to be the only way to specify wallpaper in GP.

User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Active Desktop
Wallpaper

"Specifies the desktop background (wallpaper) displayed on all users'
desktops. This setting lets you specify the wallpaper on users' desktops
and prevents users from changing the image or its presentation. The
wallpaper you specify can be stored in a bitmap (*.bmp), JPEG (*.jpg), or
HTML (*.htm, *.html) file. To use this setting, type the fully qualified
path and name of the file that stores the wallpaper image. You can type a
local path, such as C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\home.jpg or a UNC path, such as
\\Server\Share\Corp.jpg. If the specified file is not available when the
user logs on, no wallpaper is displayed. Users cannot specify alternative
wallpaper. You can also use this setting to specify that the wallpaper image
be centered, tiled, or stretched. Users cannot change this specification.
If you disable this setting or do not configure it, no wallpaper is
displayed. However, users can select the wallpaper of their choice. Also,
see the Allow only bitmapped wallpaper in the same location, and the Prevent
changing wallpaper setting in User Configuration\Administrative
Templates\Control Panel. Note: You need to enable the Active Desktop to use
this setting. Note: This setting does not apply to Terminal Server
sessions."

br,
Denis

> Hi All,
>
> Is this doable using Group Policy? I thought about a logon script or
> something similar, but I'm not sure exactly how we'd do it. Removing the
> Wallpaper tab won't work due to that rather annoying "set as wallpaper"
link
> they have on the context menus for images in Internet Explorer.
July 13, 2005 6:37:30 PM

Yeah I had a play around with that - I was wondering whether "" would produce
the desired result. I assumed that all that bit of the group policy did was
stick the path you provided in a reg key somewhere, so a blank might force
nothing. I'll give it a whirl

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> This looks to be the only way to specify wallpaper in GP.
>
> User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Active Desktop
> Wallpaper
>
> "Specifies the desktop background (wallpaper) displayed on all users'
> desktops. This setting lets you specify the wallpaper on users' desktops
> and prevents users from changing the image or its presentation. The
> wallpaper you specify can be stored in a bitmap (*.bmp), JPEG (*.jpg), or
> HTML (*.htm, *.html) file. To use this setting, type the fully qualified
> path and name of the file that stores the wallpaper image. You can type a
> local path, such as C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\home.jpg or a UNC path, such as
> \\Server\Share\Corp.jpg. If the specified file is not available when the
> user logs on, no wallpaper is displayed. Users cannot specify alternative
> wallpaper. You can also use this setting to specify that the wallpaper image
> be centered, tiled, or stretched. Users cannot change this specification.
> If you disable this setting or do not configure it, no wallpaper is
> displayed. However, users can select the wallpaper of their choice. Also,
> see the Allow only bitmapped wallpaper in the same location, and the Prevent
> changing wallpaper setting in User Configuration\Administrative
> Templates\Control Panel. Note: You need to enable the Active Desktop to use
> this setting. Note: This setting does not apply to Terminal Server
> sessions."
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Is this doable using Group Policy? I thought about a logon script or
> > something similar, but I'm not sure exactly how we'd do it. Removing the
> > Wallpaper tab won't work due to that rather annoying "set as wallpaper"
> link
> > they have on the context menus for images in Internet Explorer.

Related resources
July 13, 2005 6:37:31 PM

If anyone else is trying to do this, if you use the Group Policy object
mentioned below, and set the path to a non-existent image file it sets no
wallpaper and refuses to allow any change even with 'Set as background' in
internet explorer

"Chris" wrote:

> Yeah I had a play around with that - I was wondering whether "" would produce
> the desired result. I assumed that all that bit of the group policy did was
> stick the path you provided in a reg key somewhere, so a blank might force
> nothing. I'll give it a whirl
>
> "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > This looks to be the only way to specify wallpaper in GP.
> >
> > User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Active Desktop
> > Wallpaper
> >
> > "Specifies the desktop background (wallpaper) displayed on all users'
> > desktops. This setting lets you specify the wallpaper on users' desktops
> > and prevents users from changing the image or its presentation. The
> > wallpaper you specify can be stored in a bitmap (*.bmp), JPEG (*.jpg), or
> > HTML (*.htm, *.html) file. To use this setting, type the fully qualified
> > path and name of the file that stores the wallpaper image. You can type a
> > local path, such as C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\home.jpg or a UNC path, such as
> > \\Server\Share\Corp.jpg. If the specified file is not available when the
> > user logs on, no wallpaper is displayed. Users cannot specify alternative
> > wallpaper. You can also use this setting to specify that the wallpaper image
> > be centered, tiled, or stretched. Users cannot change this specification.
> > If you disable this setting or do not configure it, no wallpaper is
> > displayed. However, users can select the wallpaper of their choice. Also,
> > see the Allow only bitmapped wallpaper in the same location, and the Prevent
> > changing wallpaper setting in User Configuration\Administrative
> > Templates\Control Panel. Note: You need to enable the Active Desktop to use
> > this setting. Note: This setting does not apply to Terminal Server
> > sessions."
> >
> > br,
> > Denis
> >
> > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Is this doable using Group Policy? I thought about a logon script or
> > > something similar, but I'm not sure exactly how we'd do it. Removing the
> > > Wallpaper tab won't work due to that rather annoying "set as wallpaper"
> > link
> > > they have on the context menus for images in Internet Explorer.

July 22, 2005 11:43:55 PM

This works, but if the users have the privilege to change the registry, they
can easily override this thing, as this setting is stored in Registry of
individual users machines at the following key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

They can just change the path to their desired wallpaper image file and its
done.

Regards,

Victory

> If anyone else is trying to do this, if you use the Group Policy object
> mentioned below, and set the path to a non-existent image file it sets no
> wallpaper and refuses to allow any change even with 'Set as background' in
> internet explorer
>
> "Chris" wrote:
>
> > Yeah I had a play around with that - I was wondering whether "" would
produce
> > the desired result. I assumed that all that bit of the group policy did
was
> > stick the path you provided in a reg key somewhere, so a blank might
force
> > nothing. I'll give it a whirl
> >
> > "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Chris,
> > >
> > > This looks to be the only way to specify wallpaper in GP.
> > >
> > > User Config\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop\Active
Desktop
> > > Wallpaper
> > >
> > > "Specifies the desktop background (wallpaper) displayed on all users'
> > > desktops. This setting lets you specify the wallpaper on users'
desktops
> > > and prevents users from changing the image or its presentation. The
> > > wallpaper you specify can be stored in a bitmap (*.bmp), JPEG (*.jpg),
or
> > > HTML (*.htm, *.html) file. To use this setting, type the fully
qualified
> > > path and name of the file that stores the wallpaper image. You can
type a
> > > local path, such as C:\Windows\web\wallpaper\home.jpg or a UNC path,
such as
> > > \\Server\Share\Corp.jpg. If the specified file is not available when
the
> > > user logs on, no wallpaper is displayed. Users cannot specify
alternative
> > > wallpaper. You can also use this setting to specify that the wallpaper
image
> > > be centered, tiled, or stretched. Users cannot change this
specification.
> > > If you disable this setting or do not configure it, no wallpaper is
> > > displayed. However, users can select the wallpaper of their choice.
Also,
> > > see the Allow only bitmapped wallpaper in the same location, and the
Prevent
> > > changing wallpaper setting in User Configuration\Administrative
> > > Templates\Control Panel. Note: You need to enable the Active Desktop
to use
> > > this setting. Note: This setting does not apply to Terminal Server
> > > sessions."
> > >
> > > br,
> > > Denis
> > >
> > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Removing the
> > > link

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:09:41 AM

Hi

thats good to know

BTW if you are stopping users changing their desktop background one
would hope you would stop them running regedit too!!!

I work in a technical call centre and i think we must be the most pesky
users for an admin to control due to having a bit(but not a lot in some
cases!!) more tech know how than the average Joe. wehn its quiet people
do tend to play and see what they can see

I do have respect for a network team that manages to keep about 500+
techies in order,mind you we use Novell as the directory service, seems
to have some nice features too and works OK with XP

Si

--
pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
!