Sign in with
Your question

How much can I overclock...?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 30, 2007 11:46:02 PM

Me and my room mate have purchased an E6600 and overclocked it to ~3Ghz. Now we have pretty descent hardware (DDR2 800 RAM, a Tuniq Tower T-120, and it's in a cool Antec P180). We stopped are clock at ~3Ghz, because we were afraid that if we went any further, we would end with a burnt CPU. I'm not sure of it's current temperature, but is it possible to overclock this baby to ~3.6Ghz, or is there a limit where our Tuniq Tower will become useless. Also, I was wondering where we should stop the CPU voltage.

P.S. We are using an Asus P5W DH.

Thanks

More about : overclock

January 31, 2007 12:18:54 AM

you shouldn't have to increase the voltage too much, you may get problems overclocking with it too high, just watch the temperatures, and increase in small incriments, cheking for stability with memtest as much as you can. It will take a while but it can get you higher. Also, if your that worried, some motherboards give you a shutdown temperature, where if it gets too high, it will shut down your pc automatically, but I dont recommend using it becuase the onboard sensor is usually wrong. Just raise your voltage a small amount, and increase clock speed. when you hit a wall, increase the voltage a little more, but make sure to check the temps afterward.

EDIT: The CPU temp should be in PC health in the bios, Im not sure on exact numbers for your VCORE, Im running a 478 prescott, which have completely different values.
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2007 1:11:50 AM

Guide to C2D overclocking

Yes, with some luck you can push to 3.6GHz or higher.
@3GHz you should be able to run with stock voltages, so your temps won't go up to much.
You can check your temp's with core temp, a free utility.

I woulden't go much over 1.5V, but I have *heard* they can handle 1.7V with good cooling.

And that abut covers it.
Related resources
January 31, 2007 3:13:32 PM

Thanks guys, me and my friend have finally gathered enough confidence to go for 3.6Ghz.

Thanks again!!!
February 1, 2007 11:02:20 AM

Quote:
EDIT: The CPU temp should be in PC health in the bios, Im not sure on exact numbers for your VCORE, Im running a 478 prescott, which have completely different values.

i have a 3ghz ht cpu with the k8nxp rev 1 bios f13a. (15x200)
overclocked it too 3.4ghz (15*226) and stoped there.

my ddr400 memory is set to 1.6x clock = 360mhz insted of 400 since my next multiplier is 2 so 452 mhz for value with no heatsink is too risky.

but i have a huge performance jump in 3dmark 2005 +2006.
this i s my cpu cooler sp-95 with a 92mm fan.
standard temp is 42c when in heavy overload its on max ov 62c.

should i try to go higher ? what is the o.c standart with this type of cooling on p-4ht 478 cpu ?

any one ?
!