converting from roaming, back to local profiles

what happens when you want to get rid of roaming profiles, and convert back
to local ?

Do users have to recreate all of their custom settings, or does the OS
automatically switch the profile type from roaming to local ?

I'm going to enable the "Only Allow Local User Profiles" setting in Group
Policy
3 answers Last reply
More about converting roaming back local profiles

    John Smith has brought this to us :
    > what happens when you want to get rid of roaming profiles, and convert back
    > to local ?
    >
    > Do users have to recreate all of their custom settings, or does the OS
    > automatically switch the profile type from roaming to local ?
    >
    > I'm going to enable the "Only Allow Local User Profiles" setting in Group
    > Policy

    the local copy already exists so why do you think this has te be
    recreated?
    off course this is true if a user logs on to another machine
    and this over and over again

    grtz

    --
    just a suggestion:

    d;-p

    Since the profile has to be downloaded locally at logon, you just need to
    ensure that everyone has logged in at least once on the machine they
    normally use, and their profile will be cached locally. So, when you disable
    roaming, they will have all of their settings as expected from the locally
    cached version under c:\documents & settings\%username%

    --
    Darren Mar-Elia
    MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

    "John Smith" <jsmith@johnsmith.com> wrote in message
    > what happens when you want to get rid of roaming profiles, and convert
    > back to local ?
    >
    > Do users have to recreate all of their custom settings, or does the OS
    > automatically switch the profile type from roaming to local ?
    >
    > I'm going to enable the "Only Allow Local User Profiles" setting in Group
    > Policy

    You might need to disable:

    Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, User Profiles,
    Delete cached copies of roaming profiles

    so that a local copy of the Roaming Profile will be retained on the local
    computer and get the users to logon and logoff to get a local copy of the
    profile before you disable Roaming Profiles.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

    "John Smith" <jsmith@johnsmith.com> wrote in message
    > what happens when you want to get rid of roaming profiles, and convert
    > back to local ?
    >
    > Do users have to recreate all of their custom settings, or does the OS
    > automatically switch the profile type from roaming to local ?
    >
    > I'm going to enable the "Only Allow Local User Profiles" setting in Group
    > Policy

Policy Roaming Profiles Microsoft Windows