converting from roaming, back to local profiles

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 14, 2005 1:57:03 PM

what happens when you want to get rid of roaming profiles, and convert back
to local ?

Do users have to recreate all of their custom settings, or does the OS
automatically switch the profile type from roaming to local ?

I'm going to enable the "Only Allow Local User Profiles" setting in Group
Policy
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:32:46 PM

John Smith has brought this to us :
> what happens when you want to get rid of roaming profiles, and convert back
> to local ?
>
> Do users have to recreate all of their custom settings, or does the OS
> automatically switch the profile type from roaming to local ?
>
> I'm going to enable the "Only Allow Local User Profiles" setting in Group
> Policy

the local copy already exists so why do you think this has te be
recreated?
off course this is true if a user logs on to another machine
and this over and over again

grtz

--
just a suggestion:

d;-p
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:35:44 AM

Since the profile has to be downloaded locally at logon, you just need to
ensure that everyone has logged in at least once on the machine they
normally use, and their profile will be cached locally. So, when you disable
roaming, they will have all of their settings as expected from the locally
cached version under c:\documents & settings\%username%

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

"John Smith" <jsmith@johnsmith.com> wrote in message
> what happens when you want to get rid of roaming profiles, and convert
> back to local ?
>
> Do users have to recreate all of their custom settings, or does the OS
> automatically switch the profile type from roaming to local ?
>
> I'm going to enable the "Only Allow Local User Profiles" setting in Group
> Policy

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:12:21 PM

You might need to disable:

Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, User Profiles,
Delete cached copies of roaming profiles

so that a local copy of the Roaming Profile will be retained on the local
computer and get the users to logon and logoff to get a local copy of the
profile before you disable Roaming Profiles.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

!