spot vs. listen

Since Hide and Move Silently are combined as one action, does this mean
that training in both Spot and Listen is useless? It seems like it might
be, since if a character is using his hide skill, he is also necessarily
using his move silently skill, and vice versa. So you'd only have to do
a Spot or Listen check, but never both. Or am I missing something?

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:33:53 -0500, John Salerno
<johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in Message-ID
<77adnVL1R56uVybcRVn-tA@rcn.net>:

> Since Hide and Move Silently are combined as one action, does this mean
> that training in both Spot and Listen is useless? It seems like it might
> be, since if a character is using his hide skill, he is also necessarily
> using his move silently skill, and vice versa. So you'd only have to do
> a Spot or Listen check, but never both. Or am I missing something?

You only need one to see (or hear) someone, but it's not totally
useless to have both, because it can give you a better chance of
detecting someone. For example, if your adversary had a Hide of 80
and a Move Silently of 50, it'd be hard to see him if you only had
Spot 50. However, if you also had Listen 50, you could catch him.

--
=''' Lord Alexander
c-OO Bastions of War Team PvP Arena

Alec Usticke wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:33:53 -0500, John Salerno
> <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in Message-ID
> <77adnVL1R56uVybcRVn-tA@rcn.net>:
>

>>Since Hide and Move Silently are combined as one action, does this mean
>>that training in both Spot and Listen is useless? It seems like it might
>>be, since if a character is using his hide skill, he is also necessarily
>>using his move silently skill, and vice versa. So you'd only have to do
>>a Spot or Listen check, but never both. Or am I missing something?
>

> You only need one to see (or hear) someone, but it's not totally
> useless to have both, because it can give you a better chance of
> detecting someone. For example, if your adversary had a Hide of 80
> and a Move Silently of 50, it'd be hard to see him if you only had
> Spot 50. However, if you also had Listen 50, you could catch him.

Well that makes sense! I think I'm just going to alternate between hide,
listen, and move every few levels, just to cover them all. Spot isn't
even a class skill for a monk, so I don't know if I want to use 2 points
on it anyway.