Powerful quiet machine

mctaino

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hello everyone first of all thanks for your time to help me out.

I'm a music producer and I’m looking to build a powerful quiet machine. I do allot of wave editing and processing. I always use full processing power and memory no less than 2 GB. I need help into choosing parts to build this computer. It also needs to be very quite. I do allot of mixing and can’t have noise to mix. I actually thought for a sec to go pre build with Hp or Dell but (HELLL NOO) I always have built my systems. The only problem I have had with building my own stuff is the fact that they come out to be very loud computers. My last system Pentium 4 3.4 GHz is like a vacuum cleaner because as you all know those chips where very hot and I had to cool them down with fans..... I’m also going to use media center to my Xbox 360

I won’t be playing games on this computer but will doo some video editing

Thanks allot everyone

mctaino

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
You might want to consider really good noise canceling headphones/sets.

Ihave some good ones thanks. But Im looking to build a quite machine just like dell or Hp those machines are very quiet. But i know if I build it will have better parts and the right ones for the type job im doing....

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Hello everyone first of all thanks for your time to help me out.

I'm a music producer and I’m looking to build a powerful quiet machine. I do allot of wave editing and processing. I always use full processing power and memory no less than 2 GB. I need help into choosing parts to build this computer. It also needs to be very quite. I do allot of mixing and can’t have noise to mix. I actually thought for a sec to go pre build with Hp or Dell but (HELLL NOO) I always have built my systems. The only problem I have had with building my own stuff is the fact that they come out to be very loud computers. My last system Pentium 4 3.4 GHz is like a vacuum cleaner because as you all know those chips where very hot and I had to cool them down with fans..... I’m also going to use media center to my Xbox 360

I won’t be playing games on this computer but will doo some video editing

Thanks allot everyone

It depends on your budget... a quiet system is easy to purchase for given you have the extra few hundred dollars to make it quiet.

A liquid cooled system regardless of other components runs quiet. A high end PSU that is rated for quiet operation... larger case fans (120mm) run with fan speed control set low are quieter... and a Long arse set of cables to your monitor, keyboard, and mouse while you stuff the box in a closet is pretty quiet too :p

J/K about that last part...

Let us know your budget and we can help... also let us know the components you want to get an idea on the best configuration... with case.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah, if you want a quiet machine liquid cooling is the way to go, if your not going to oc a kit system will work fine, decent cpu only loops can be had for as little as $50. A passivly cooled gfx card is the way to go, maybe a 7600gt or 1650xt, both are decent cards, and more then enough for a non-gamer.

Beyerdynamic DT770's = completly and totally awesome.

mctaino

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557X6800 - Retail $970.00

ABIT AB9 QuadGT LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $199.99

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AL1005 - Retail $325.99

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3400620AS 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - total 1tb OEM $119.00

XFX PVT71PUDD3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $ 209.00

SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model DRU120C - Retail $45.49

LIAN LI PC-V1200Bplus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $229.00

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply - Retail $169.00

GrAND TOTAL $2,271.43

This are the parts I have chosen so far from New egg. My friend says I can build something better for less. im also not sure if this will be a loud computer or quiet

If you have better choices let me know by the way I wont be overclocking.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I need help into choosing parts to build this computer. It also needs to be very quite. I do allot of mixing and can’t have noise to mix.

Google up Silent PC Review. I'm not a huge fan of theirs but believe that most of their advice is sound. No tun inpended. Anyway, SPCR will give you lots of ideas and lots of data. I'm in the same boat as you as I'm planning a quiet PC for audio recording. One extreme is to buy one of the Zalman passivley cooled cases and use components recommended by Zalman. Not cheap but silent. Another possibility is to water cool the CPU and use a passive GPU cooler and minimal case fans. If you use low RPM 120mm fans by SilenX or Scythe or Noctua for example, fan noise will be pretty low. You can also look at passive CPU coolers. If you use a low TDP processor, a passive HS like some of the Thermalright or Scythe units should do the trick. You can consider a passive north bridge cooler like those made by Thermalright or Noctua. Go check out the HS reviews on Madshrimps for a ton of data. And don't forget to put sound insulation inside the case - and if you're really serious put the case on the floor and put dampening materials on the underside of the desk, the wall behind, etc. There are numerous HD sound insulators also but read reviews and look at the temp increase due to the insulator. Look at passively cooled power supplies while you're at it. All that should keep you busy a day or two.

spet3r

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
The key is to get a quiet CPU, Power Supply and Video card Fan... and make sure there is no fan on the motherboard.

I found these products to fit your niche...

Power Supply:
Nexus 400w NX-4090 Quiet Power Supply
Zalman 460 Watt Quiet Power Supply
Thermaltake TR2 500 Watt Power Supply
Xion PowerReal Xon 600 watt Power Supply
Seasonic S12 600 Watt Power Supply (cheaper than Newegg)

Video Card Fans:
ZeroTherm GX700 Ceramic VGA cooler (for nVidia 6000s and 7000s, some Radeon Xs)
for a X1800
Artic Cooling Acceloro X2

Processor Fans:
For an AMD system (if you're getting the X2 3800... not a bad chip for the price)
Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Zalman Copper AMD Quiet Fan

For an Intel system (seems like Intel users get jipped on price for quietness on some of the products?) try one of these...
Zalman 92mm 2 ball CPU fan
Artic Cooling Freezer Pro
Thermaltake CL-P03070 92mm Enter CPU Cooler

This one is available in a few weeks:
Thermaltake CL-P0372 92mm Enter CPU cooler

For cases... depends on how much you want to spend... It will make a difference on how the machine sounds too. Look at:
Antec Lifestyle Super Sonata II Case
This case is supposedly really good... lots of $$$... sucker at least looks cool
Zalman Fatal1ty

not the cheapest but another idea:
Nexus Breeze
endpcnoise.com will at least give ideas and does sell noise absorption products separately.

The key is to look at the amount of decibels your fans are producing. If you can get between a 10-20 db range, you would be very happy. Right now I bet you have a few fans giving you 30-50 db which makes the computer sound like a vacuum. The case is also key because you can hide a lot of that noise if you add noise absorbing material and change the airflows to direct the noise in a different direction. Without the right airflow and sound absorbent material, that loud fan actually sounds louder than it is in that hollow case. Another trick is to pick 2nd or 3rd best products... usually the "Quiet" factor fans caught up to those products. Example would be a 7900GT versus a 8800GT nVidia card. A 7900GT is still a very very good video card which would last a long time giving you your HD output (and its cheaper too giving money for all that expensive sound deadening supplies).

Just some ideas. Hope that helps! I know I'm going to look at a much quieter system next time I build... whenever that is.

P.S. A Liquid cooled system might be worthwhile... if you like to mess with tubes and pumps its worth it in the end. Not sure about being cheaper?

mctaino

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Thanks I made some slight changes to my list chose a 7900gt video card and changed my case.

Dose the quad x6800 require more cooling than a duo 2 core 6300? is the stock cooling enough

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I just built a system but I had contradictory objectives of no-compromises fastest games computer possible that allows overclocking, but also a dead silent system. Normally the first means loads of cooling which kills the second.

I did a lot of careful research and in the end went with an antec p180b case. I also replaced its stock fans with even quieter but still hi flow pabst ones. For cooling I designed a dual-circuit watercooling system with huge-ass passive radiator:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2168/ex-rad-53/Innovatek_Konvekt-O-Matic_ULTRA_Passive_Radiator_-_Black_500801.html?tl=g30c95s164

I did the math and this thing was on the edge of dealing with the heat from two watercooled 8800GTX's and a watercooled 6800ex CPU all being overclocked, so I added an active radiator too:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4541

I put 3 more pabst fans on it that are under automatic control so they only come on if the passive cooler isn't coping. I chose a 3-way rad as 3 fans hardly turning is a lot more quiet and cools the same as a single-size rad with one fan full-on. It also has some headroom left if the ambient air temp gets really hot (I live in Arizona). It turns out they hardly ever do need to come on (at least so far but its not summer yet). So now I have a super-quiet and very powerful (and f**king heavy to lift) box that I'm very happy with.

I seriously reccomend the p180 case. Its amazing how much that thing deadens noise.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I'm so glad to see a post on this. Its time that we get off of the subject of which motherboard is better for the n00b who want to get a QX6700 and two 8800gtx's.

The art of making a silent PC is a very deep subject, whose artists are often extreme modders, such as my friend here Mr. Niz.

By the way, would anyone know where to get a tool to measure noise from a Pc? I was just wondering how my Dell XPS Gen 3 would match up; in my mind it is quite quiet, even late at night in a sleeping house.

Good Luck to You All.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
GrAND TOTAL $2,271.43

At that price, buy a "Mac Pro"

- Quad core Xeons and MAC OS for music mixing is great!
- They are ridiculous quiet!
- Mac puts alot of time and effort in designiing the case, and the plastic mold inside allows for a "Vacuum" affect that make the low rpm fans work efficiently and silent
- They don't even have any heatsink fans (And these are built for high workloads!)
- Don't have to waste time building it, and potentially troubleshooting problems (All work is done for you), with nice warrany on it.

- Plus if you game, you can run Windows on it pretty easily.

This is just my opinion!

PS: I know quiet. I'm so anal about noise I watercooled my system (With 4 litre resevor in fridge) and spent $300 on a fanless SilenceX powersupply!

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
These are the parts I would personally choose to build a quiet system.

Cpu Heatsink. Scythe Ninja, it has great performance in low air flow situations.

Gpu Heatsink. Ill make thing easy on you I HIGHLY recomend a x1950pro over a 7900gt for video editing and gameing, this one has a Zalman vf700 and the zalman is a quite cooling solution. (The only better active cooling solution is a Thermalright HR-03 with a Nexus 92mm fan)

Power supply. Go with the 520w or better yet the 500w Seasonic S12. Im saying this due to the 600w Seasonic built models use a higher speed cooling fan then the 500w models. Plus the 500w is far more then your system will actually need, and the Corsair is manufactured by Seasonic. (The Seasonic models are slightly quieter then the Corsair models)

Case, Antec P180 or Solo. Yes Lain-Li cases can be made silent but its allot of extra work and $$$. (The p180 is not easy to wire but the results are worth it. And tho the Solo is limited in the amount of hard drives it can hold it is the best case for eliminating hard drive noise.)

Case fans, On your budget I'm gonna recommend Nexus. (Don't buy SilentX or Vantec)

Fan speed controller, Zalman, sure its kinda ugly but it is the best (affordable) analog fan speed controller on the market. (Unless you want to track down a Mcubed T-balancer)

Frankly when building a quiet/silent pc the devil is in the details.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

Fan speed controller, Zalman, sure its kinda ugly but it is the best (affordable) analog fan speed controller on the market. (Unless you want to track down a Mcubed T-balancer)

Am I misunderstanding how they work or is it true that nearly all fan cotrollers out there are just manual? i.e. you have to keep watching your temps and tweaking to change the fan speed?

I'm currently using the Qfan outputs on my asus striker motherboard to automatically control my active cooling fans, but am having other problems with the striker so I'm probably going to return it anyway and swap it for a Evga 680i mobo, which unfortunately doesn't have fan controllers on board.

So now I want a controller that has temp. probes where you can just set a temp. and forget about it and it only turns on/up the fans when it needs to.

There seems to be hundreds of manual-only controllers but strangely and annoyingly there doesn't seem to be any automatic ones except the T-balancer.

I say strangely because I'm sure people don't really want to be sitting and watching their temps all day, and thermostats are hardly a new invention.

The T-balancer would be OK if it didn't require software to be installed. Apart from the fact I try and avoid having any miscellaneous crap running all the time on my PC for performance reasons, I also run Linux a lot, so the annoyingly windows-only fan software wouldn't work on it. It would be especially bad if the fans didn't run when the PC got hot because I'm running linux.

Anyone got any other product suggestions for automatic fan controllers?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Am I misunderstanding how they work or is it true that nearly all fan cotrollers out there are just manual?

There are numerous programmable controllers - PCI card controllers and front panel controllers. You can select the positions to place thermocouples, then make fan speed decisions based on the thermocouple data. Look on Newegg, FrozenCPU, etc.

mctaino

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Why use all this cooling solutions are the cpu's in need of all this. I know my petium 3.4ghz is a hot puppy but are the new ones the same.

core 2 duo e6300 1.86ghz

or

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6800

less fan use less noise Im also not overclocking

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Sorry I should of explained what I meant better. The Zalman uses rheostats that directly control the voltage going to the fans, where as motherboard fan headers are Power Management (PWM).

Linear regulation is good due to there is no side effects like buzzing, groaning. clicking, ect from the fan. But the disadvantage is you can not start most fans reliably below 5v and some some smaller >80mm fans sometimes do not start reliably below 7v.

PWM works by sending 12v pulses to the fan to control the speed. The advantage of this is you can start fans at very low speeds but depending on the fan and the rate of pulses it can cause annoying side effects like buzzing ect.

The Mcubed is cool due to it has both PWM and Linear control, but it is far to expensive for me to justify buying one.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There are always other options, like getting sound dampening material similar to dynamat. FrozenCPU sells it, and I am sure you can find it elsewhere. Low rpm fans, and good aftermarket CPU/GPU coolers would only run you ~$100 total in additional cost.

mctaino

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
My question is it necessary to use different cooling than the stock when not overclocking. I always use other cooling than stock and thats where I run into louder computers. But this time Im not going to overclock so Im thinking that stock fan should be enough

i think im going to use the quad core x6800

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
The goal with using the large heatsinks is to use larger lower rpm fans to get both proper cooling and a smooth low pitch noise signature.

Think about it this way, the area of the fan blades on a 120mm fan is much larger then a 80mm fan. So in order to move the same amount of air the 80mm fan has to spin allot faster then the 120mm fan, and the pitch of the noise the 80mm fan makes is much higher then the 120mm fan. And you should already know human hearing is less sensitive to to low pitch noise then higher pitched noise.

And the top fan on the P180 looks to be there only to provide better cooling, the real reasoning is actually slightly different. In a ATX case the power supply helps ventilate the top of the case, but the added heat causes the power supply's cooling fan to spin quicker and make more noise.
So they placed it in the chamber below so all the power supply now has to do is keep its self cool. Since the fan on any good power supply is mostly controlled by the internal temperature not the power output, the power supply makes less noise.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Why use all this cooling solutions are the cpu's in need of all this. I know my petium 3.4ghz is a hot puppy but are the new ones the same.

core 2 duo e6300 1.86ghz

or

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6800

less fan use less noise Im also not overclocking

Sorry but I'm not sure I understand all of your comments/questions. But for sure, C2D CPUs at stock clock run way cooler than a 3.4GHz Pentium. Night and day.

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
My question is it necessary to use different cooling than the stock when not overclocking. I always use other cooling than stock and thats where I run into louder computers. But this time Im not going to overclock so Im thinking that stock fan should be enough

i think im going to use the quad core x6800

The X6800 is a Dual Core