Setup of login scripts.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 15, 2005 12:52:08 PM

Equiptment: we have 2003 server and xp workstations.

Senerio: We have an existing intranet, and I am trying to move to our new
intranet (Sharepoint). The sharepoint is up and running fine, no problems
there.

On each computer in our network we have one of two files or both files that
i need to remove called "intranet site". these are internet explorer icons
that simply link to our current intranet site. They reside at:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\"intranet site" and
C:\Documents and Settings\'current_user"\Desktop\"intranet site" , where
"current_user" is the user logged in.

Once these files are removed I would like to add a new filed to the:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\"intranet site" this new file
would now be a link to our new intranet site (SharePoint). once again I have
absolutly nothing wrong with sharepoint, I also have all homepages set to the
new intranet site (SharePoint), I just want to remove the bad links and
create a new one to the correct site for any user that logs into each
workstation.

I have never worked with scripts, but I figured this shouldnt be too hard
for someone that has. I want to thank everyone for any replies ahead of time.

Thanks again
Rich

More about : setup login scripts

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 1:00:04 PM

Sorry, I guess i never asked what I needed in the post above...LOL

whould anyone out there know how to do this or mayby have a script like this.

I have found where to implement it into Group Policy , I just dont know how
to create these:

Thanks again Rich
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:05:34 PM

If your users do not have local admin rights on their workstations, you
would probably need to do 2 separate scripts.

I would use one computer and one user batch file (very simple!)

computer.bat
del c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\intranet site.url
copy "\\server\share\new intranet.url" c:\documents and settings\all
users\desktop

user
del "%userprofile%\desktop\intranet site.url"

You should put the computer script as a startup script for the computer
(obviously)... and for the user, use either login script (on their AD
account properties) or use a login script in GPO to apply it to all the
users quickly.

The only other thing you'd need to do is put the new shortcut in
\\server\share (whatever you choose)

HTH

Ken
"Rich Sheffey" <RichSheffey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, I guess i never asked what I needed in the post above...LOL
>
> whould anyone out there know how to do this or mayby have a script like
> this.
>
> I have found where to implement it into Group Policy , I just dont know
> how
> to create these:
>
> Thanks again Rich
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:35:57 AM

"" wrote:
> Sorry, I guess i never asked what I needed in the post
> above...LOL
>
> whould anyone out there know how to do this or mayby have a
> script like this.
>
> I have found where to implement it into Group Policy , I just
> dont know how
> to create these:
>
> Thanks again Rich

Hi,

A batch file would do the trick for adding and deleting files. If you
don’t know the commands I recommend you research them on MS website
as there are tons of things you can do with Bat files and they are
great to know for admins. Depending on your users "delete" access to
the All Users directory you may have to do the "all users" as a
startup script and then the user as a login script. Also IF your old
file and your new file have the same name, you could simply do an
Xcopy and it would replace the old with the new rather than deleting.

Run the command line and type for info on the switches I have used.
del /?
rmdir /?
xcopy /?

Basically you can do:

del "C:D ocuments and SettingsAll UsersDesktopintranet site.url" /F
/Q
del "C:D ocuments and Settings%username%Desktopintranet site.url"
/F /Q
xcopy "\servernetlogonmynewsite.url" "C:D ocuments and SettingsAll
UsersDesktop" /C /Q /Y

You need to save the script in notepad with a .bat extension and put
in the Netlogon share along with the NEW link that you want to copy.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Setup-login-s...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1308935