Setup of login scripts.

Equiptment: we have 2003 server and xp workstations.

Senerio: We have an existing intranet, and I am trying to move to our new
intranet (Sharepoint). The sharepoint is up and running fine, no problems
there.

On each computer in our network we have one of two files or both files that
i need to remove called "intranet site". these are internet explorer icons
that simply link to our current intranet site. They reside at:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\"intranet site" and
C:\Documents and Settings\'current_user"\Desktop\"intranet site" , where
"current_user" is the user logged in.

Once these files are removed I would like to add a new filed to the:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\"intranet site" this new file
would now be a link to our new intranet site (SharePoint). once again I have
absolutly nothing wrong with sharepoint, I also have all homepages set to the
new intranet site (SharePoint), I just want to remove the bad links and
create a new one to the correct site for any user that logs into each
workstation.

I have never worked with scripts, but I figured this shouldnt be too hard
for someone that has. I want to thank everyone for any replies ahead of time.

Thanks again
Rich
3 answers Last reply
More about setup login scripts

    Sorry, I guess i never asked what I needed in the post above...LOL

    whould anyone out there know how to do this or mayby have a script like this.

    I have found where to implement it into Group Policy , I just dont know how
    to create these:

    Thanks again Rich

    If your users do not have local admin rights on their workstations, you
    would probably need to do 2 separate scripts.

    I would use one computer and one user batch file (very simple!)

    computer.bat
    del c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\intranet site.url
    copy "\\server\share\new intranet.url" c:\documents and settings\all
    users\desktop

    user
    del "%userprofile%\desktop\intranet site.url"

    You should put the computer script as a startup script for the computer
    (obviously)... and for the user, use either login script (on their AD
    account properties) or use a login script in GPO to apply it to all the
    users quickly.

    The only other thing you'd need to do is put the new shortcut in
    \\server\share (whatever you choose)

    HTH

    Ken

    "" wrote:
    > Sorry, I guess i never asked what I needed in the post
    > above...LOL
    >
    > whould anyone out there know how to do this or mayby have a
    > script like this.
    >
    > I have found where to implement it into Group Policy , I just
    > dont know how
    > to create these:
    >
    > Thanks again Rich

    Hi,

    A batch file would do the trick for adding and deleting files. If you
    don’t know the commands I recommend you research them on MS website
    as there are tons of things you can do with Bat files and they are
    great to know for admins. Depending on your users "delete" access to
    the All Users directory you may have to do the "all users" as a
    startup script and then the user as a login script. Also IF your old
    file and your new file have the same name, you could simply do an
    Xcopy and it would replace the old with the new rather than deleting.

    Run the command line and type for info on the switches I have used.
    del /?
    rmdir /?
    xcopy /?

    Basically you can do:

    del "C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDesktopintranet site.url" /F
    /Q
    del "C:Documents and Settings%username%Desktopintranet site.url"
    /F /Q
    xcopy "\servernetlogonmynewsite.url" "C:Documents and SettingsAll
    UsersDesktop" /C /Q /Y

    You need to save the script in notepad with a .bat extension and put
    in the Netlogon share along with the NEW link that you want to copy.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Setup-login-scripts-ftopict396339.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1308935