Safe, stable, will last a few years overclock on E4300?

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
On another thread I posted my OC numbers for the E4300. I got some pretty high times.

BUT! I was just doing small jumps and really did not care about making the processor last. Hell if you read it, nothing really lasted that attempt.

But for the E4300 I put into my computer, I want a stable, long-lasting system. I've been told manufacturers build this stuff to last about 10 years before its completely fried. OCing obviously reduces that.

So what kind of OC can I expect to last 2 years or better? Now of course, since no one has had a E4300 for 2 years, we cannot be certain, but a good guess would work.

Right now I am not running any overclock on my main system, and I am getting about 27 degrees Celcius for my core temp. That is pretty good by simple deduction of some of the radical temps I have seen here (61 degrees celcius?! holy..). But to get this thing up to a 266 FSB (or 2.4 gigahertz) requires about a 33% overclock.

SO some questions:
Is this safe with stock cooling fans and Artic Silver in proper proportions? And how generous are those proportions?

How long can I expect, just an guess, this processor to last? Again, 2 years is good, 3 is better.

Anyone want to take a shot?

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
On another thread I posted my OC numbers for the E4300. I got some pretty high times.

BUT! I was just doing small jumps and really did not care about making the processor last. Hell if you read it, nothing really lasted that attempt.

But for the E4300 I put into my computer, I want a stable, long-lasting system. I've been told manufacturers build this stuff to last about 10 years before its completely fried. OCing obviously reduces that.

So what kind of OC can I expect to last 2 years or better? Now of course, since no one has had a E4300 for 2 years, we cannot be certain, but a good guess would work.

Right now I am not running any overclock on my main system, and I am getting about 27 degrees Celcius for my core temp. That is pretty good by simple deduction of some of the radical temps I have seen here (61 degrees celcius?! holy..). But to get this thing up to a 266 FSB (or 2.4 gigahertz) requires about a 33% overclock.

SO some questions:
Is this safe with stock cooling fans and Artic Silver in proper proportions? And how generous are those proportions?

How long can I expect, just an guess, this processor to last? Again, 2 years is good, 3 is better.

Anyone want to take a shot?
1) Yes, make sure HSF is mounted correctly, or overheating guarranteed :oops:

2) I spead a thin layer, about thickness of newspaper, over entire CPU heat spreader (thinner near ends). Give HSF slight twist on contact to remove any possible air bubbles.

3) At that OC, especially if no VCore increase, 3 - 5 years at least.

Roasted_Monk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
My e4300 is running @ 3.0 with abolutely no voltage increases and running rock stable and running unbelievably cool with just the stock HSF. After what I have seen with this....and my experience from the past (if it is any kind of guide)...this chip will last much longer than I will need it to. ie...4+ years. IMO But watch murphy kick me in the nuts and as soon as I click submit post....

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
My e4300 is running @ 3.0 with abolutely no voltage increases and running rock stable and running unbelievably cool with just the stock HSF. After what I have seen with this....and my experience from the past (if it is any kind of guide)...this chip will last much longer than I will need it to. ie...4+ years. IMO But watch murphy kick me in the nuts and as soon as I click submit post....
:?: At that overclock (3GHz), what performance would it be equal to in AM2 at default?

muthah

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
My 4yr old daughter plays Spongebob on my 300A@464mhz
that i was assured wouldnt last a month at that insane speed by experts , so who knows LOL

Tomster831

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I'm sry but wt is the default voltage for the E4300?

and also would increasing the voltage but not overclocked heat up the cpu more?

N7SC

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
**Also I have read that core temp and TAT will not read E4300 temps correctly**

If you look at the intel link for processor data that is provided in the first post in the Core 2 Duo Temp. Guide, you will see that it is for one of the E6xxx series processors. At the bottom, in the "notes" section it mentions that the processor is equipped with a "Tdiode."

Now, if you navigate back, on Intel's site, to where you can get the same data for the E4xxx series chips, you will see that the entry claiming that the processor is equipped with a Tdiode is missing.

If we assume that the "Tdiode" is the on-die thermal diode, then it would make sense that TAT and other temp monitoring software might not be able to read core temps accurately.

Just how serious of a handicap this would be to overclocking an E4xxx series chip, I don't know. Probably would depend on how close to limiting temps an individual overclock/overvoltage would take the chip.

This concerns me a bit because I am planning on O/C'ing an E4300 to 2.997GHz, or a clock of 333MHz. In addition to the sheer fun of essentially ripping off a huge corporation (getting a 3GHz processor for the price of a 1.8GHz one), I also want long term stability. Without an accurate means of monitoring the chip temps, I'll always be guessing about just how near its limits my system is.

Maybe Intel is not being as nice and accepting of overclocking as we have all assumed. Like "Sure these chips are O/C friendly and can reach some spectacular speeds. But . . . if you want to know just how hot they are running, you really need to buy our higher-priced chips. (Evil laugh)"

Tomster831

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I'm sry but wt is the default voltage for the E4300?

and also would increasing the voltage but not overclocked heat up the cpu more?

Why would you increase voltage and not overclock?

i don't mean increased voltage on purpose, b/c i think when i first booted up and went into the bios the voltage wasn't right

Roasted_Monk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007

Unbelievably cool? What temps software are you using? Most likely its wrong. At 3ghz and stock voltage with AC freezer 7 pro, TAT reads me at 39c idle and 58c at 100% load.

For the original poster, stay with the lowest voltage possibly for your overclock and as long as your under 60c with both cores at 100% load you'll be fine.
Also keep in mind that in summer, these temps could easily be 10c higher than they are now, depending on the ambient room temp.

**Also I have read that core temp and TAT will not read E4300 temps correctly**

True I am using core temp. I just put on AS5 5 mins ago so gonna check it out with Orthos and now this time TAT. Although I am already kicking myself in the @ss. With the stock HSF and stock Thermal I was getting idle temps on CoreTemp of 21-22C. Just put on the AS5 and getting idle temps of 26-27C. I applied it EXACTLY like it shows on their website. Even if it drops the 2-5 Degrees like they say it will after "breaking" in...it still is no better than the stock. Oh well. Grumble grumble grumble. Can't wait till my Artic Freezer gets here.

Roasted_Monk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Bad TAT BAD! Go to your room!

Eeesh....Running TAT within 5 mins it was reporting 74C and the mobo alarm went off...cause it is set to 60C.

Ran Orthos Beta again...and it was showing 67C on TAT and 53C on CoreTemp.

Granted it is warmer today so ambient is a bit higher....but this definitely tells me I can't wait till I get my new cooler in the mail.

By the way Never saw above 53C on core temp when playing my normal games

Bad TAT... BAD!

Roasted_Monk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Ok....F*ck the stock HSF! I couldn't wait for the Artic Freezer so I went to Radio Shack and bought the Big Typhoon 59.95$ and used AS5 instead of the stuff that came with it. And WOW what a difference. TAT runnning full force Before...was showing 77C within 6 mins. Now TAT running for 30mins shows 67C and while running TAT , Core Temp is reporting 55C.

Orthos Beta running blend:

TAT shows 55C
Core Temp shows 41C
Running my normal games....sheesh...don't even ask.

Now if the AS5 does exactly what it says....and drops 2-5 degC cooler!!
I'll be a very very happy O'erclocker

Now those are temps that I can certainly live with.

Edited to include: Thanks to Computronix!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
roasted_monk, I've been trying to get caught up on the temperature threads, so I appologize for not getting back to this one till now.

True I am using core temp. I just put on AS5 5 mins ago so gonna check it out with Orthos and now this time TAT. Although I am already kicking myself in the @ss. With the stock HSF and stock Thermal I was getting idle temps on CoreTemp of 21-22C. Just put on the AS5 and getting idle temps of 26-27C.

These Tjunction idle temps are near normal (22c) ambient room temp, and are not possible without an offset. What is your motherboard and chipset? Are you also running the motherboard manufacturer's monitoring program? If so, what CPU temperature does it report during idle and TAT 100%?

...I couldn't wait for the Artic Freezer so I went to Radio Shack and bought the Big Typhoon 59.95$ and used AS5 instead of the stuff that came with it. And WOW what a difference. TAT runnning full force Before...was showing 77C within 6 mins. Now TAT running for 30mins shows 67C and while running TAT , Core Temp is reporting 55C.

TAT shows 55C
Core Temp shows 41C

I'll be a very very happy O'erclocker...

Your E4300 will typically show inaccurate TAT temps, which are offset by +15c. What are your variables?

Frequency = 3.0 Ghz
Vcore = 1.325 ?????
Load = TAT 100%
Ambient = ?????

Thanks,

Comp 8)

Roasted_Monk

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
roasted_monk, I've been trying to get caught up on the temperature threads, so I appologize for not getting back to this one till now.

True I am using core temp. I just put on AS5 5 mins ago so gonna check it out with Orthos and now this time TAT. Although I am already kicking myself in the @ss. With the stock HSF and stock Thermal I was getting idle temps on CoreTemp of 21-22C. Just put on the AS5 and getting idle temps of 26-27C.

These Tjunction idle temps are near normal (22c) ambient room temp, and are not possible without an offset. What is your motherboard and chipset? Are you also running the motherboard manufacturer's monitoring program? If so, what CPU temperature does it report during idle and TAT 100%?

...I couldn't wait for the Artic Freezer so I went to Radio Shack and bought the Big Typhoon 59.95$ and used AS5 instead of the stuff that came with it. And WOW what a difference. TAT runnning full force Before...was showing 77C within 6 mins. Now TAT running for 30mins shows 67C and while running TAT , Core Temp is reporting 55C.

TAT shows 55C
Core Temp shows 41C

I'll be a very very happy O'erclocker...

Your E4300 will typically show inaccurate TAT temps, which are offset by +15c. What are your variables?

Frequency = 3.0 Ghz
Vcore = 1.325 ?????
Load = TAT 100%
Ambient = ?????

Thanks,

Comp 8)

Yes...

Freq = 3.0ghz
Vcore = 1.325 (stock)
Load (using TAT full load) = temp is now 61c reported by TAT with full load by using TAT

Load (using Orthos Blend) = temp reported by TAT 57.

Temps reported by Core temp (using TAT loading) = core temp reporting 55

Ambient = 22-23c

So everything temp wise has seemed to settle down. The AS5 really did drop 5-6c after "burning in". I couldn't be happier. Not sure why others are having so many problems with their e4300. It seems like the old Celeron sl2q days. Where one manufacturer was putting out a better product and you could get 450mhz and the other was rubbish.

By the way...I had put on the AS5 with too much to begin with. Thinned it out a bit and it was much much better.

Monk

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Hi Taco, good to see you. See my sig? No more Zalman! :wink:

The answer is, due to such a wide array of variables and inaccuracies involving erroneous thermal diode sensors, chipsets, drivers, BIOS releases, and OEM monitoring utilities, the best way to analyze temperatures is to fill in all the blanks. Once I have enough info, I can identify which temperature offsets may apply. The 965 chipset motherboards have the highest instances of false temps, and the E4300's are sometimes difficult for either TAT or Core Temp to read.

Comp 8)

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

ragekage18

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
ok have read through this thread, and a couple others including the temp guide. TAT wont work with my system gives some kind of error. This concerns me with the temps of my e4300. I had it running at 3.ghz with all stock volts. The abit uguru reports a temp of 29c idle, and 48-49c full load. CORETEMP gives temps a few degres lower. I got full load by running TOAST and Prime 95 torture test at the same time. Can I tust the temps that the uguru are giving me.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The abit uguru reports a temp of 29c idle, and 48-49c full load. CORETEMP gives temps a few degres lower.

Tcase (uGuRu) temps appear normal, but Tjunction (Core Temp) is probably offset in the BIOS tables by -15c, because Tjunction can not be lower than Tcase. Please run Orthos priority 9 small FFT's with Core Temp, and provide complete and accurate info for your test results and variables, so I can analyze the problem. Also, verify that C1E and EIST are disabled in BIOS.

Tcase = (uGuRu) 29c Idle, 49c Load
Tjunction (Core Temp) = (Idle & Load)

Ambient = (Room Temp)
Chipset = (Model)
C2D = E4300
CPU cooler = (Model)
Frequency = 3.????? Ghz
Load = Orthos P9 Small FFT's
Motherboard = (Model)
Vcore = (CPU Voltage)

Comp 8)