Admin Tools On XP Pro

I have the admin tools loaded on my XP Pro SP2 Desktop but when I go to edit
a group policy not all the objects are visible/available? Is there a patch
to fix this?

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:01:29 -0500, "Patrickm" <pmatthews@paysbig.com> wrote:

>I have the admin tools loaded on my XP Pro SP2 Desktop but when I go to edit
>a group policy not all the objects are visible/available? Is there a patch
>to fix this?

Are you using the latest?

See tip 9327 » The Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Administration Tools Pack.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Still no go. If I Edit a policy and go under "User Configuration" / "Windows
Settings" the only thing that shows up is "Remote Installation Services", I
am missing the 5 other objects that I see when I do this on any one of my
Domain Controllers. With XP SP1, there was a patch you could apply that
would remedy this but I can't find anything on MS's site in regards to XP
SP2

"Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:01:29 -0500, "Patrickm" <pmatthews@paysbig.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have the admin tools loaded on my XP Pro SP2 Desktop but when I go to
>>edit
>>a group policy not all the objects are visible/available? Is there a patch
>>to fix this?
>>
> Are you using the latest?
>
> See tip 9327 » The Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Administration Tools
> Pack.
> in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Hi,

I would reinstall SP2. It sounds like some of the files are missing. I run
SP2 with Windows XP and all the settings are there.

Cheers,

Lara

"Patrickm" wrote:

> Still no go. If I Edit a policy and go under "User Configuration" / "Windows
> Settings" the only thing that shows up is "Remote Installation Services", I
> am missing the 5 other objects that I see when I do this on any one of my
> Domain Controllers. With XP SP1, there was a patch you could apply that
> would remedy this but I can't find anything on MS's site in regards to XP
> SP2
>
> "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:01:29 -0500, "Patrickm" <pmatthews@paysbig.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I have the admin tools loaded on my XP Pro SP2 Desktop but when I go to
> >>edit
> >>a group policy not all the objects are visible/available? Is there a patch
> >>to fix this?
> >>
> > Are you using the latest?
> >
> > See tip 9327 » The Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Administration Tools
> > Pack.
> > in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Hi Patrickm,

Try this.

Take a look at

Group Policy Template Behavior in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316977

ADM in WS2003 SP1 is the most latest among all OS and SP.

If you have WS2003, ie SYSVOL is most latest, then try scenario 2.

If you only have W2000S, ie XP SP2 is most latest in your environment, then
try scenario 1 on your XP SP2.

Tell us the results then.

br,
Denis

"Patrickm" <pmatthews@paysbig.com> wrote in message
> Still no go. If I Edit a policy and go under "User Configuration" /
"Windows
> Settings" the only thing that shows up is "Remote Installation Services",
> am missing the 5 other objects that I see when I do this on any one of my
> Domain Controllers. With XP SP1, there was a patch you could apply that
> would remedy this but I can't find anything on MS's site in regards to XP
> SP2
>
> "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:01:29 -0500, "Patrickm" <pmatthews@paysbig.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I have the admin tools loaded on my XP Pro SP2 Desktop but when I go to
> >>edit
> >>a group policy not all the objects are visible/available? Is there a
patch
> >>to fix this?
> >>
> > Are you using the latest?
> >
> > See tip 9327 » The Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Administration
Tools
> > Pack.
> > in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

I downloaded and installed the ADM files for Win2k3 SP1 but that didn't fix
it Now I'm going to reinstall SP2
I'll keep you posted. Just an FYI: I am running Win2k3 Ent on all my servers
W/O SP1 and all my workstations are running XP SP2 - Very simple network, no
mixed environment what so ever.

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
message news:u$HvtoDjFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Patrickm,
>
> Try this.
>
> Take a look at
>
> Group Policy Template Behavior in Windows Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316977
>
> ADM in WS2003 SP1 is the most latest among all OS and SP.
>
> If you have WS2003, ie SYSVOL is most latest, then try scenario 2.
>
> If you only have W2000S, ie XP SP2 is most latest in your environment,
> then
> try scenario 1 on your XP SP2.
>
> Tell us the results then.
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "Patrickm" <pmatthews@paysbig.com> wrote in message
>> Still no go. If I Edit a policy and go under "User Configuration" /
> "Windows
>> Settings" the only thing that shows up is "Remote Installation Services",
>> am missing the 5 other objects that I see when I do this on any one of my
>> Domain Controllers. With XP SP1, there was a patch you could apply that
>> would remedy this but I can't find anything on MS's site in regards to XP
>> SP2
>>
>> "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message

> patch
>> >>
>> > Are you using the latest?
>> >
>> > See tip 9327 » The Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Administration
> Tools
>> > Pack.
>> > in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

I have reapplied XP SP2 - No help. I looked at your document link and it
talks about enabling the "turn off automatic update of ADm Files" optin in
Group Policy. I don't have that as one of the settings to configure??? I do
have the "Always use local ADM files for Group Policy Editor " as an option.
Any reason why this would be or how I can fix it?

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
message news:u$HvtoDjFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Patrickm,
>
> Try this.
>
> Take a look at
>
> Group Policy Template Behavior in Windows Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316977
>
> ADM in WS2003 SP1 is the most latest among all OS and SP.
>
> If you have WS2003, ie SYSVOL is most latest, then try scenario 2.
>
> If you only have W2000S, ie XP SP2 is most latest in your environment,
> then
> try scenario 1 on your XP SP2.
>
> Tell us the results then.
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "Patrickm" <pmatthews@paysbig.com> wrote in message
>> Still no go. If I Edit a policy and go under "User Configuration" /
> "Windows
>> Settings" the only thing that shows up is "Remote Installation Services",
>> am missing the 5 other objects that I see when I do this on any one of my
>> Domain Controllers. With XP SP1, there was a patch you could apply that
>> would remedy this but I can't find anything on MS's site in regards to XP
>> SP2
>>
>> "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message

> patch
>> >>
>> > Are you using the latest?
>> >
>> > See tip 9327 » The Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Administration
> Tools
>> > Pack.
>> > in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Hi Patrickm,

If you have WS2K3 Gold w/o SP1 and XP SP2, then your XP SP2 has the latest
adm files.

In this case, you should try scenario 1 on your XP SP2 w/ WS2K3 SP1 admin
tools installed (I think someone should have posted you the SP1 admin
tools).